Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

My God has every wheel owner gone mad,,,,,?

So I opened my mouth and inserted my foot, so too speak. Asked a lady too a local car cruise if I have a car ready, and as yet I am limited in the amount of work I have been able to accomplish.
      I have started trying to deal with two different people on some USED wheels possibly useable for one of my cars, and I really could have used them as 15 in tires are just not as accessible anymore as they used too be.
      So in looking for some 17 in wheels I located two sets of Corvette wheels.
      Dont get me wrong I understand that people spend money and expect to be able too sell them.
      But for the life of me BOTH of those fools wanted as much for USED, BENT rims as new or nearly new and perfect rims.
      I mean for the price these people were asking I can buy an aftermarket reproduction set and ship them and still be saving for OEM wheels identical.
      Since pricing wheels I found dealers with old wheels straight off new cars, some still with tires (admittedly the shipping kills those deals) that are less than these people asked.
      I mean if a Corvette 17in wheel has bends on inner lip, some pretty serious curb damage and these guys were asking for over $300 each for them.
      Gee whiz people.
      I have been buying selling and swapping parts for years and as yet still have no clue as too why damaged and worn Corvette parts that are not rare nor highly sought after and yet they ask ridiculous prices.
      I dont get it. But alas I now have too look for different sources for wheels. And reasonably priced 17 in wheels are ow few and far between.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

It says Corvette on them that jumps the price up right there.

Gotta buy those Gold Chains somehow!

I've noticed this same thing with a lot of people selling used car parts. They think they've found their get rich ticket.

I've been looking for a 4 speed trans. There is a guy selling a "numbers matching" corvette muncie locally. He wants a ton of money for it. For about $100 more, I can buy a brand new one from Richmond. He has now been trying to sell it for over 6 weeks. Plus without the actual car...is it still numbers matching?

My rule of thumb: an unused or nearly perfect used part goes for 2/3 retail of a new part. A normal used part goes for 1/2 retail. A worn out part goes for 1/4 retail.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
      I've noticed this same thing with a lot of people selling used car parts. They think they've found their get rich ticket.

I've been looking for a 4 speed trans. There is a guy selling a "numbers matching" corvette muncie locally. He wants a ton of money for it. For about $100 more, I can buy a brand new one from Richmond. He has now been trying to sell it for over 6 weeks. Plus without the actual car...is it still numbers matching?
      That was my question. How is it number's matching without the rest of the car? What is it matching?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      That was my question. How is it number's matching without the rest of the car? What is it matching?
      He should say period correct for cars manufactured x date.....
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      My rule of thumb: an unused or nearly perfect used part goes for 2/3 retail of a new part. A normal used part goes for 1/2 retail. A worn out part goes for 1/4 retail.
      When you buy used parts from a private seller you generally can't return it, there is no warranty and you can't be 100% sure it's not somehow defective... It's for these reasons that I rarely but 2nd hand stuff.
      And, when I sell mine: a nearly perfect used part goes for 1/2 of retail for a new part. A normal used part goes for 1/4 retail. A worn out part goes in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      Geez......... you guys don't know? they match the numbers on the other side of the case.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      Geez......... you guys don't know? they match the numbers on the other side of the case.
      Now thats funny!

I mean guys if a $500 wheel has curb rash and it CANT be fixed without major changes to wheel look, it becomes a $75 too $100 wheel I could care less what it fits. Your Ferrari Scuderria wheel MIGHT be worth little more as its probably a $5000 wheel.
      BUT a Corvette wheel made in the THOUSANDS and reproduced, well grow up.
      Heck these same wheels I can buy in sets of 4 (two in 17s too fir Monza an d two 18s that would work on my Caprice ) for $599 plus shipping. Guy was wanting new or nearly new prices. After driving to see/buy them and the guy kept being a D**K about the price is solid, no lower.
      Considering wifes scowl maybe I should have slipped her a $50 to "fix" the deal.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      Now thats funny!

I mean guys if a $500 wheel has curb rash and it CANT be fixed without major changes to wheel look, it becomes a $75 too $100 wheel I could care less what it fits. Your Ferrari Scuderria wheel MIGHT be worth little more as its probably a $5000 wheel.
      BUT a Corvette wheel made in the THOUSANDS and reproduced, well grow up.
      Heck these same wheels I can buy in sets of 4 (two in 17s too fir Monza an d two 18s that would work on my Caprice ) for $599 plus shipping. Guy was wanting new or nearly new prices. After driving to see/buy them and the guy kept being a D**K about the price is solid, no lower.
      Considering wifes scowl maybe I should have slipped her a $50 to "fix" the deal.
      I feel you I've been looking for some corvette wheels to put onto my ride and everyone wants a grand for wheels that are take offs. And their logic behind the price is they are oem and not cheap Chinese knock offs. Where do they think the wheels are manufactured? !?! Let me tell you China most likely! I drove out to see some dudes z06 wheels and he wants nearly 2 grand for them um no thanks ordered a set from oewheels and with all the great reviews about them on ls1tech could not be happier

Quote Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post

If someone really needs that tranny with the date codes or whatever is on there, he will probably get what hes asking. This was one of the deciding factors for me to take my numbers matching 67' HO GTO and forget about a correct stock restoration. The price of NOS parts and date coded stuff and all that is insane. Rediculous......but if the market is calling for that price it is what it is.
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Mine was an original survivor car..... not a survivor anymore, but still a numbers matching car, but I made the decision I wanted to go more to a Pro-Touring route... So when I finally decided I wanted to change the Steering Wheel, I admit, it was tough to remove the stock freshly restored wood Sport Wheel.... and I put it in a box for a few months until I was sure I liked the feel and look of a more modern wheel...

Well, a few weeks I made the tough decision to actually sell that wheel...... Now Repro Wood-look Sport wheels go for around $500, and from what I have been told.... they are pretty nice..... But I put my Original wheel up on Ebay with a Reserve of a few hundred dollars higher then a Repro Wheel..... I got ONE bid...... but that ONE guy wanted an Original wheel.... and bid it right up to the reserve.....

I am glad someone is making use of the wheel instead of it sitting in a box....

Troy
      67GTO

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com