Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

AAW, Vintage Air and Dakota Digital Pac-2750 questions

Hey PT,

In the process of wiring my car, on the AAW harness there is a thick orange wire for the electric fan relay, does this go to the Pac-2750 or to the relay? If it goes to the relay, then I can run another switched 12v to the Pac.

On the Pac-2750 there is a input for A/C clutch, where would I get the signal from? Trinary/Binary switch?

Thanks for help

Country Flag: United States
      Based on the AAW harness for my Camaro, I do not believe that that orange wire is beefy enough to support dual fans (70A), so keep that in mind. If you have a single fan, then the orange wire can probably support it, I think that you would use that as the supply to the relay module (Green wire "Fan Power +12v"). With dual fans and a Painless F5 controller, I'm planning to pull power for my fans directly from the battery. I don't think that orange wire is big enough to serve 70A (I think the fuse in the fuse panel is a 30A).

I believe that you would double up the output of the binary switch and send one leg to the compressor and the other to the PAC-2750 A/C Clutch input. In that manner, whenever the A/C clutch is energized, the fan would be in operation.

But, I am just a backyard tinkerer, and likely no smarter than you, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
      Steve

Thanks for your help, I saw your post on dual fans and va trinary switch. That helped me out too.

Can that orange wire on the aaw harness be used to supply my pac-2750 with ignition 12v?

Then I would pull power from the battery for the relays.

Spork, what I don't know for sure is if that orange wire is ignition or battery (and don't forget that everything that I know is based on a 1967 Camaro wire harness--aren't you an A-body guy?). Somewhere along the way I came to the conclusion that that was battery power, not ignition, and I actually pulled the orange wire and replaced it with smaller, doubled up wires that I'm running to my 2 Retro-Electro controllers for my Rally Sport doors as battery power, and replacing the 30A fuse with a 10A...but I could be wrong, in which case I will be sad/pissed. :-) But I don't know where I came to the conclusion that it was battery.
      Steve

I got confused my bad, that orange is used as a trigger only on the relay not for powering the fans.

This for a Mustang but my understanding is that AAW uses Gm coloured wiring for all their kits.

I'm almost done wiring the relays to the fan and feeding the two wires for hi/low to the PAC.

I have a small question about the trinary switch. I have read and re-read your explanation and it's time to stop and have a beer and fire up the BBQ.

Dark blue from the VA harness to blue on switch, other blue gets fed back to the PAC A/C input. Black/Green to compressor and the other black/green to... That's where I'm at today. Hopefully my stripped down version of the switch makes sense.

TIA!

The instructions do say that the orange wire is recommended to be used as a "trigger" wire but I'm not sure why it is so beefy with a 30A fuse! But, there's a lot of stuff that I don't understand when it comes to fuse panel connections....

The trinary switch black/green circuit sits between the VA "A/C Thermostat Switch Or Compressor Relay (Gen IV)" and the compressor clutch (in other words, it sits on the actual wire that sends 12v to the compressor clutch to lock up, which "turns on" the air conditioning). In this fashion, even though the VA system might be calling for the clutch to be energized, if the trinary switch is not happy, it opens the circuit and the compressor pulley freewheels (thus preventing the over/under pressure situation that the trinary switch is sensing).

So whatever wire the VA instructions tell you to connect from their harness to the compressor, you run it through the green/black circuit of the trinary.

Hope that helps?
      Last edited by sjaroslo; 07-31-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: cleaned up terminology
      Steve

Got it thanks. Your help and some wine helped me understand!

Was that before or after the beer?
      Steve

After definitely after... Should be all done with it today.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com