Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

3rd gen steering column in a 1st gen camaro

I'd like to have a steering column with the following features: 1) tilt; 2) headlight dimmer; 3) variable wiper switch for DSE wipers; and 4) cruise control switch. I've looked at the steering column in 4th gen Camaros, but the mounting bracket is too wide to fit a standard 1st gen setup and, unlike the 1st gen bracket, it's welded in place,. Thus, you'd need to grind off the 4th gen bracket and weld on a 1st gen bracket, which I'd rather not do if I don't have to. I notice that the steering column in the 3rd gen Camaro includes all the features I'd like, plus the bracket is bolted in place. Does anyone know if the bracket for the 3rd gen Camaro will fit in a 1st gen (preferably a '69), or whether a 1st gen bracket can be directly bolted onto a 3rd gen column? I'd appreciate any info you have. Thanks.
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Thanks for the link! I sent BirdsandBowties a PM. Hopefully he can build what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

If anyone could do it, it'd be Jim..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

You can just use the 69 bracket on the third gen column. That's what I did. You need to grind a touch for clearance with the dimmer switch rod, but that's it. I used an 89 column and a 2000 wiper switch control with a 2000 wiper motor. Works great. Just have to add the cruise control for my ls1
      Rick - 1969 Camaro - LS1 driven daily

Great! That's what I wanted to know. Will the '89 wiper switch work with the DSE wiper setup? Is there a difference between the '89 and 2000 wiper switch/ cruise/ dimmer lever?

Quote Originally Posted by ccmc View Post
      You can just use the 69 bracket on the third gen column. That's what I did. You need to grind a touch for clearance with the dimmer switch rod, but that's it. I used an 89 column and a 2000 wiper switch control with a 2000 wiper motor. Works great. Just have to add the cruise control for my ls1

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com