Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

SBO timing cover crank seal runout tolerance

So I decided to make a aluminum timing cover for my SBO. Now I'm wondering about how spot on the crank seal hole needs to be I haven't measured it yet so I don't have any numbers for you guys to compare. Basically what I'm wondering is if I need to make the part the seal presses into bolt on or does the seal have enough tolerance factored in that if I just weld the hub piece on it will still seal. I placed it against the factory steel one it it's pretty close but the factory one isn't very round and this one was laser cut so it's really round.

Well decided to weld it up. Then added some hard coat black anodizing for some corrosion resistance at the water pump area

Interesting. Any reason you decided to make one?
      Luke
      '63 Chevy II wagon - project

The steel one had a lot of pitting where the gasket goes so i needed to replace it. Was looking for a aluminum one and found they were around 225 for a stock style and felt that was a little high so i set out to make my own. I do engineering and design work using Autodesk inventor. At my work i have access to Lasers for cutting and CNC machines and lots of left over material. Outside of that no real good reason.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com