Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Spark Plug Gap Q

Putting in a new set of NGK plugs in the wife's 68 SS Camaro today. Fouled the old ones badly as it has been running rich all year but it sat in the garage over the winter for at least 6-7 months. I know some of the problem is the carb (rebuilding the Holley today).
      Question is: what gap is everyone running these days? The motor is a sbc with Brodix aluminum heads big cam and 750 dp Holley. Plugs out of the box are gapped at .30 but with the Pertronix ignition seems too tight. Thinking about bumping it up to around .040 for better spark. What do you guys think?
      Tom Koontz

Country Flag: United States
      I run .038 with my msd ignition. My factory spec is. .035.

I emailed Pertronix when I installed their Ignitor 2 in a '70 Datsun 2000 I'm restoring and they said you can gap .05 more. Take it for what it's worth!

I'm running .050 on my NGK V-Powers. I have a 350 sbc with MSD 6a box and Ready-to-Run MSD HEI distributor. It also has a 625 Street Demon. There was a noticeable improvement in power and these plugs have lasted over twice as long (and still going daily) as all the other sets I have tried.
      1963 Chevrolet Corvair Pro-Touring Project
      1964 Chevrolet Corvair Coupe Rat Rod/ Patina Thing
      2012 Mazda 3 I Sport Sedan

I have the same plugs @ 0.40 and runs good. I run NGK in all my cars.

Tom Koontz

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com