Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

WIW? 71 Firebird Formula 350

So I came across it with the opportunity to buy but not sure what to pay for it. By VIN it's a true Formula 350 all matching #'s. It is running and driving, supposedly with a rebuilt motor and trans but no receipts to prove it as it was done some time ago just prior to being parked for so long by prior owner. Additionally, I'm not sure what it's going to cost to restore it/getting rid of the rust + paint & new interior = to the point of using it as a nice daily driver. I don't want to invest more than $10K in restoring it and keeping it full stock (yes I'll change the wheels/exhaust/spruce up the motor). Does that seem doable if I pay a shop to do it? As I said, DD not a show car condition.

Appreciate any advice. I need to give the gentleman an answer on it.

Attached Images Attached Images                

Hard tellin from the picts how solid the cars underside is. I know the Formula 350 Do Not command nearly as much as Formula 400's or Formula 455's .....

I would think For a running and driving project like this i would say in the $3500 - $5500 range.

Will be nice to hear what others think....

Might want to check over at performanceyears.com forum as it is a Pontiac only site.... might have alot more info over there.

Beebe
      A link to some pictures of my Firebirds and other toys

http://community.webshots.com/user/ponchoman69

Is the 10,000 mark to buy the car and restore it to DD condition or is it buy the car and then you have 10,000 to spend fixin it up?
      I always tell others to take the high road, that way there's more room for me on the low road

Erik Peterson
      1986 Monte Carlo SS Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...6-Nascarlo-2-0

Quote Originally Posted by epeterson View Post
      Is the 10,000 mark to buy the car and restore it to DD condition or is it buy the car and then you have 10,000 to spend fixin it up?
      I should've been more clear. That's $10K to restore it...after purchase. He wants $ 7.5k for the car and its sounding reasonable but I really have no idea of what I'm getting myself into with the resto part.

Would buying this car and spending 10K on it make it nicer/as nice than one already done for that same money? Do I need to pass and keep saving? All the 70-71 birds I'm finding that are turn-key to use as a daily and rust free are way out of my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEBE View Post
      Might want to check over at performanceyears.com forum as it is a Pontiac only site.... might have alot more info over there.

Beebe
      Thanks for the website...I checked it out but it's only to order parts.

Where are you located?
      I always tell others to take the high road, that way there's more room for me on the low road

Erik Peterson
      1986 Monte Carlo SS Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...6-Nascarlo-2-0

It looks pretty straight actually. I bet the rust on the roof will be a good amount of work. I think 7500 is way too much though. I think 4 gs is all I would pay

Performance years also has a "forum" along with their retail sales. It's one of if not the biggest Pontiac forums. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're not going to rebuild that car without going waaay over 10 grand if you have shops do the work. And $7500.00 is high for that car IMHO. Check the for sale sections on PY .. Transamcountry.com .. 78TA.com .. firebirdnation.com .. and other Trans Am/Firebird websites and I bet you find a better car to start with IF you want to build a car. If you're after a DD I think you'll get more bang for the buck taking your $17,500.00 and buying a car that's already been done.

Quote Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
      Performance years also has a "forum" along with their retail sales. It's one of if not the biggest Pontiac forums. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're not going to rebuild that car without going waaay over 10 grand if you have shops do the work. And $7500.00 is high for that car IMHO.
      I found that PY forum..thanks. I've been looking for a 71 for a long time and it seems they're already fixed up and too expensive for me or they're in worse condition than this one. Even average ones found all say "needs paint and interior", granted this one needs more than paint but I think my price breakdown is realistic as I'm not thinking "pro-touring" condition.
      I was guesstimating ~5K for body work & ~3K for interior leaving ~2k for motor/misc expenses. I would think that's a fair amount to make it very presentable and trustworthy for DD anywhere.

Thanks for all those websites, now I'm going to lose hrs of sleep surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by epeterson View Post
      Where are you located?
      About a year ago I came across a different car and approached a few people who "knew their stuff" for advice on it. First thing they asked was where the car was located, then they told me to pass on it. Three months later I found out they bought it and were working on it.
      Hmm...J/K
      I'm in California

Haha not out to go steal cars! I already have a 71 Pontiac Lemans draining my pocketbook, was looking to help you out in your search, 70-73 trans am's are my favorite haha..I know of a few around in your price range but were not close haha..I'm in chicago. How far would you be looking to travel?

Erik Peterson

If it's a steal and really in DD condition to drive anywhere, I'm willing to fly one-way anywhere and drive it back...with a smile. I've been saving up all my leave, have no deployments on schedule, and just took over a special duty assignment so I have the time.

But I gotta be honest the 71 Bird is the goal (birth yr), everything else is a substitute to me. But I'm still willing to go for it. In fact, I was tempted to call this guy in your area/Chicago and offer 10K for his 1967 Bird: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4525388541.html

Not sure if you've seen this website but they sell lots of Trans Ams: http://www.restoreamusclecar.com/vehicles?e29770=36363

The car maybe solid but its $4K tops. Drop cash in his face and he'll drop.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick View Post
      The car maybe solid but its $4K tops. Drop cash in his face and he'll drop.
      I'm doubting that he will. Especially here in Cali. It seems as the 71's pop up they sell quickly and when I call the sellers they say a "collector" showed up. These cars are being snatched up. And I honestly haven't seen once a bird with all these options not already fixed up for $$$...meaning it's a true 71 Formula 350, #'s match, snorkel hood, side air gills, formula steering wheel, and original tach.
      Shoot, it sounds like I'm talking my self into it. But seriously, if you search and search you'll see you won't find one like it. And the more I search, the more I see the serious pieces of junk out there that most people want just as much for. But then when I do see one come up on a TV Auto Auction, they go for peanuts IMO and compared to what people on the street are asking, so I really don't understand.
      I obviously don't want to overpay but then I don't want to lose this car either. I can picture it looking like new and I start to tear.

I've been looking too....no luck.

I say go for it but get him down. Offer 4 and go from there. Start picking it apart and point out its flaws. From looking at the pictures it looks fairly solid and a great car to learn on.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

I highly doubt you'll be able to do the restoration for $10K. I think you'll spend that on the body and paint alone when you factor in all the trim and chrome restoration that will need to be done. That car looks pretty solid to me based on the pics. If you really like the car why not purchase it and get all the mechanical and interior work sorted and continue saving while you drive it as is cosmetically. I'm sure as old as that car is and the fact it's been sitting that it will need suspension and brake work. With all that being said, it's rare to be able to build a car for less than what you can buy one for already done, if you enjoy the journey of building the car that's one thing, but from an economic sense you're better off buying a completed car.

Quote Originally Posted by 71RS/SS396 View Post
      With all that being said, it's rare to be able to build a car for less than what you can buy one for already done, if you enjoy the journey of building the car that's one thing, but from an economic sense you're better off buying a completed car.
      I know you're right on all counts but this is kind of how I feel:

I know this is not a Formula but this car is better equipped and looks to be low mileage, it's near what you want to spend price wise. Do you think you can make the car in your original post look like this one for $13K?
      http://classiccars.com/listings/view...oe-texas-77304

Quote Originally Posted by 71RS/SS396 View Post
      I know this is not a Formula but this car is better equipped and looks to be low mileage, it's near what you want to spend price wise. Do you think you can make the car in your original post look like this one for $13K?
      http://classiccars.com/listings/view...oe-texas-77304
      That car isn't restored either so it's bound to require repairs as well with underlying issues, so it'll actually cost more.

I've also inquired for advice on Lateral-G and have been receiving incredible advice...I think worth a read for anybody new to this hobby with uncertainties of what they're getting into.
      Check it out..it's good stuff/wise words: http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46729

Quote Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post
      That car isn't restored either so it's bound to require repairs as well with underlying issues, so it'll actually cost more.

I've also inquired for advice on Lateral-G and have been receiving incredible advice...I think worth a read for anybody new to this hobby with uncertainties of what they're getting into.
      Check it out..it's good stuff/wise words: http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46729
      I'm not new to the hobby, I've done both full on builds and purchased and upgraded after the fact. It has always been far cheaper to upgrade a finished car. I highly doubt that car would cost more in the end, could it need some mechanical repairs? Sure, but not a full on mechanical and cosmetic restoration like your original post. Someone years ago gave me very good advice.... "If you can't afford to do it right the first time, you certainly can't afford to do it right the second time" Good luck in your search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com