Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      i got a set of used S10 drop spindles if you are looking for some

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      What most others on this forum are using for suspension isn't in our low budget. Other low budget upgrades, such as boxing the factory rear control arms requires cutting & welding in metal, only low budget if you already have these kinds of tools. otherwise best to just save up & buy. If you later get into just swapping new front & rear control arm bushings into your existing, upgraded rubber will give you less street harshness than urethane or delrin. Better handling stuff does get expensive. Good aftermarket front control arms , such as ridetech, eliminate bumpsteer (wheels changing direction when hitting a bump) along with the improved geometry that gives better tire contact, but I'm looking at $1300 for a set. You can subtract out the cost & time of improved bushings & ball joints from the extra amount this would cost you over re-doing your stockers. I've been saving up for these.

On rear wheel clearance, either side can be tighter. Mine is driver side. The area in the upper rear of wheel well fender lip is the tightest. You can't completely cut off the lip since the quarter panel is spot welded to the fenderwell, but you can sure trim some of the worst area back a little bit. You're likely getting the most rubbing when turning on an incline & bouncing.

I just gave you the lowest cost advice first. I swapped front & rear springs approx 11-12 years ago, which I would have did drop spindles had I known better at the time. Now you know what time frame can be called temporary if you have to
      PS be careful where you park that thing. I might sneak up & buff a shiny circle in one of you panels.
      I believe lowering springs im the front will be harsh from what I've been reading. Seems s10 drop spindle is indeed the way to go.
      I would say your threat of buffing a shiny spot in a quarter panel scared me, but its already happened about 4 months ago! Lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by all4sho View Post
      i got a set of used S10 spindles if you are looking for some
      I am. I'm a newbie in this pro touring world,and money is tight! I'll have to wait til I can afford to pull the trigger!

I woulda did a spot in the center of a panel where it would have been more noticeable.

I might or might not be kidding, but you can sleep good knowing I live in Fla.

It is a cruel trick to do to someone, it doesn't go away. But you could do the rest to match. It'll help the burnt rubber to clean off easier. A little (eh, a lot) of buffing & some spray touch up paint could give you a whole new image.

ridetech coilovers and tubular Gbody control arms. Oh and musclebars.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer View Post
      ridetech coilovers and tubular Gbody control arms. Oh and musclebars.
      I checked out ridetech's level 1 kit. Almost $1200. I'll have save up for that. In reality, I only need the coilovers and tubular arms since I'm running Hellwig F&R Pro Touring sway bars.
      I'm not looking to go full on professional Auto X racer, but more like an entry level type of vehicle for now until funds allow me to get there. So far, I'm good at drag racing but I love the reliability of Auto X since I'm not red lining and pushing the limits every weekend.
      It's a daily driver/show muscle truck so I need something that durable to the commands of the city streets.

I've been lurking over the past several months without logging in,but it's time I update. I haven't done any suspension upgrades but I did start working on the appearance.
      I've been in the process of transforming The Steel Beast over the last year to transition into the pro touring scene.
      I already had blacked out wheels that were painted but they started peeling over time,so I committed to plasti-dip.
      I'm also going with blacked out bumpers which will give me an idea of what to do with paint later this year.
      For the paint,I'm thinking of Candy Brandywine, Silver metallic with black ghost flames,or matte silver with semi gloss rally stripes.

The wheels were stripped down to the chrome.

My new front bumper

Here's the wheels after plasti-dip.

It's been a while since I updated this thread!

My truck has changed a bit and I'm now starting to restore the interior and make it a little comfortable for long hauls.
      A few years ago,I replaced the old 194 bulbs with LED's, but over time they just died out and I couldn't see much of anything at night.
      A little research and I foind out about painting the gauge cluster white to bring out a brighter illumination at night.
      Found some 20 SMD LEDs on eBay and started pulling the cluster.

As many know,I'm building a resto-mod/Pro-Touring El Camino.
      I'm trying to keep the interior modern yet some what original so I'm building it to be comfortable on long hauls as I drive this truck for hours at a time which includes to other states.
      The overall goal is to be comfortable,so the cheap hard vinyl Summit Racing Sport seats have to go!
      I'm replacing them with Leather Pro-Car Elite Lumbar Seats!
      I've researched these seats for a while and the overall satisfaction by others using their products have been extremely high which is why I chose this style and brand.
      I'm still working on buying carpet, a dash pad,and more interior components before installing these seats,but I had to crack them open to smell the new leather. Lol

Found this older thread-- I'm looking to modify my rear wheel wells like you describe for better wheel clearance. I used a UMI suspension kit (similar to ridetech but better price)-- and I'm getting rubbing issues under full load. Did you have any luck? Do you have any pictures? Thanks!

1966 Pontiac Tempest
      Two-door, no post. Fixing things one-by-one. Daily driven when it's not up on jackstands.
      UMI Stage 4 suspension. Manual Z06 brakes from Kore3. 275/40r18 and 275/40r19 rear. Currently building a Pontiac 400 stroker.

Quote Originally Posted by ignaro View Post
      Found this older thread-- I'm looking to modify my rear wheel wells like you describe for better wheel clearance. I used a UMI suspension kit (similar to ridetech but better price)-- and I'm getting rubbing issues under full load. Did you have any luck? Do you have any pictures? Thanks!
      Unfortunately I haven't modified any of the suspension recently.
      I've been in the process of restoring my interior and removing rusty floorplans.

look at that a fellow 5th gen ELKY! Mine has swiss cheese floor plans, organically lightened by mother nature, makes it faster! Goodmark or somebody makes full, half and quarter floor pan patch panels. the aftermarket bolt suspension upgrades are PRIIICCCCCEEYYYY!

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I decided to start on the interior first.
      I'm still in limbo on suspension.

It's been a while since I posted,so here's a quick update on what I've been up to this Spring/Summer.

After gathering information on how to tackle my rusty floorplans,I bit the bullet and started pulling up the carpet on my truck.
      I expected rust,so I knew it would be a task.
      Here's photos of the find and how my girlfriend and I took care of everything.
      Started with removing the old, uncomfortable Summit Racing Sport Seats.(YUCK)

As you can see,the carpet has been damaged by years of both dirt & sun.
      There were numerous holes from what appears to be cigarettes being dropped on the floor and rolling under the seats.

A patch panel put in years ago had to be pulled up so I could see exactly where to make cuts to remove the rear pocket.

I marked the areas where k needed to make cuts to remove the whole rear passenger pocket.

I researched sound deadening and heat barriers over the last few months. I narrowed it down to a company named Cool-It Thermotec.

Welded in a new floor pan and treated the floors with Rust Reformer.

I also cleaned,treated,and sealed the smugglers box and rear window.

- - - Updated - - -

Once we laid the sound deadening on the front floorboards,I also topped it with a thermal barrier to reduce heat coming off the firewall and transmission tunnel.

I got all of the mounting holes clear and laid down the carpet while mocking up a factory console base and seat brackets.

I needed seats that would be comfortable on long hauls and hold me in under tight corners since this is going to be a pro-touring/autocross machine.
      I chose Pro-Car Elite Lumbar Seats in leather.

I ended up installing new lower door panels and re-dyed the upper door panels and armrests.

I came across a brand new brown smugglers box carpet and re-dyed it black.

This is the final result with the new seats,carpet, interior trim and more.
      I couldn't be any happier with my first interior restoration!

Looking good,Brandon. The car is coming along,nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
      Looking good,Brandon. The car is coming along,nicely.
      Hey Clint! Thank you so much! It's coming along slowly but surely.
      Just ordered my rear suspension components which should be delivered early next week.
      I'll update as they come along.

Just started my suspension build. Check out the thread in suspension!

Nice improvement on the interior!
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com