Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

breather and pcv question

Let me start by saying that this is for a 406 small block that will see as much street driving as much as possible. Has a full hydraulic roller setup aswell not sure if it makes any difference

I decided on these summit valve covers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-440400

But also considered these proform ones. And still might if the design is better suit for roller rockers due to the angle

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-141-921/overview/

But this is only half my battle. The next issue is oil leaking from the holes up top of the covers. These have baffles so may not be as bad as my current setup but still want Lil leaks as possible. I hate oil leaks and smoke from hitting the exhaust

I have a holley and edelbrock intake so from my searching need a fitting on the back of the manifold that will fit for the brake booster so I can use the carb port for pcv that will sit on driver side valve cover.

Now on passenger side should I just run a nice big K&n style looking breather or should I do something else?

How about catch cans. Is it necessary?

Thanks

IMHO catch cans are ALWAYS necessary. You never want oil in the intake. I also do not like just a breather on the valve, you want to draw a vacuum on the crank case, it will actually give you more HP and improved MPG since the parts inside can move around easier with less air resistance. Just take a look at why some drag racers put on vacuum pumps.

Even the PCV system on modern engines could benefit from oil catch cans, just a PCV will coat up your intake runners with junk. Have a look at how much build up I had in a 2009 motor with 30k miles

If you are running a carburetor you should not get this build up since gas flowing thru will clean it off but still you do not want the oil flowing thru your engine. It will be burned in the combustion chamber and cause smoke and build up in the chamber.

Catch cans are pretty cheap and easy to install, go for it
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I ended up getting new valve covers and using a moroso breather seems good so far but still looking into getting a catch can

Any suggestions?

You can plumb for a catch can and/or vacuum pump (which requires belt mods etc.) or you can do this: http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/68385/10002/-1

I extended the length (height?) of my breathers, which is almost as good...but I want to go with this setup.
      Scott Parkhurst

2011 Car Craft Real Street Eliminator Winner

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com