Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Electric, adjustable steering column for first gen

Has anyone considered installing an electrically adjustable steering column in a 1st gen camaro? There are a variety of makes and models on eBay and they're relatively inexpensive. With my TCI front clip, I can't use an original '69 factory column, so I'm considering all my options. I'd like to have more adjustability, move dimmer switch to stalk, and have variable wiper switch for my DSE wipers.

1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

If its an offshore built (aka Chinese) you better check for safety hazards such as ANY external welds on the interior section being a no-no, and it has to feature a bāll /socket design that prevents you from losing control of the steering wheel relative to the column. For example, there is the ProComp (Chinese built) line which is cheap and for a reason-they use a cast aluminum ball with an ABS plastic housing for it. No need to explain the issue there! It should be a stainless ornheat treated ball AND socket design such as a quality unit from a reputable company like Ididit, Billet Specialties or Flaming River. Do NOT purchase a column with any of the above mentioned defect designs.
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

I was thinking of an OEM steering column. Lots of models off of modern cars out there for around $100. Mercedes columns look like they'd be pretty easy to mount.
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Country Flag: Canada
      Cadillac STS...late 90's early 2000 have them...got one in the driveway lol 1998
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com