Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

67-69 Camaro LS Swap guys...

I'm in the process of running my PSI wiring harness and figuring out a good place inside the car to mount my computer. Two questions before I cut the 2" hole in my firewall :o)

1. I'm running Vintage Air and want to know where most of you guys mount the computer. Has anyone mounted it inside the passenger kick panel area?

2. Where did most of you cut the hole? My engine is already in, and I really don't want to take it out again. I was thinking of running the harness hole down low by the lower AC hose hole. Here is a pic of before I put the motor in.

I have seen a lot of people cut the hole at top of trans tunnel and use a Seal-it grommet.

Ok, so you saying more towards the center of the trans tunnel? The harness came with a nice grommet installed. So all I need to do is figure out where I should cut the hole. I could cut it from the inside, but im scared I will chip the paint up pretty bad on its way out. haha nerve racking thinking about doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1camaro69 View Post
      Ok, so you saying more towards the center of the trans tunnel? The harness came with a nice grommet installed. So all I need to do is figure out where I should cut the hole. I could cut it from the inside, but im scared I will chip the paint up pretty bad on its way out. haha nerve racking thinking about doing this.
      Holesaw a little from both sides. It will minimize damage as the cutter cuts through.

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      Holesaw a little from both sides. It will minimize damage as the cutter cuts through.
      Thanks!

I installed my PSI harness with engine installed. I put the hole almost directly behind the driver cylinder head, below intake level. With the engine installed, I had limited choices of where to put it. I drilled from inside the car.
      For the ECU, I mounted it in the upper right corner of the dash, to the right of the glove opening and above the vent. It is a tight fit, had to make some basic mounting brackets using flat aluminum bar. I have the lower half of the glove box tray mounted, but the top portion will have to modified due to inteference with the ECU.

Tape over the paint with green automotive tape a couple of plys thick where you will cut the hole with a X pattern. Then hole saw from the outside of firewall is possible. If you have to cut from inside then drill pilot hole, then tape up outside. The tape will normally keep the paint from chipping but make sure the hole saw is sharp.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2746
Size:  177.6 KB
      I did not use a PSI harness , I installed the harness on the engine to see where it laid the best as for the computer I mounted it above the glove box . With a VA unit there is not a lot of space

I am about in the same spot you are but here is where I drilled the hole for my PSI harness.

Shannon

67 Camaro - Finally getting to BUILD it.

Camaro Build -> HERE

Our Drag boat blog and videos HERE

Got it cut and harness ran through last weekend. I cut the hole from the inside of the car, and used a nice thick layer of blue tape on the outside to prevent paint chipping. Worked great! Here are a couple of pictures to show how it came out.

Nicely done. BTW, what headers are you using?

from my experience, that is a bad location for the harness to come out of the firewall. Seems like you will have problems down the road with broken wires from vibration. I would look into using a twist lock bulkhead connector.

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

Country Flag: Argentina
      Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
      Nicely done. BTW, what headers are you using?
      Those seem to be the Hooker LS swap ceramic headers.
      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-22761hkr

Quote Originally Posted by sebtarta View Post
      Those seem to be the Hooker LS swap ceramic headers.
      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-22761hkr
      Thanks. I wasn't sure if they were Hooker or Dougs.

looks awful tight and like was said earlier could have vibration issues. engine awful close to firewall and wire loom. But could be ok. who knows. just my .02

where is everyone getting the rubber grommet for the firewall? I need one

It comes installed on the PSI harness. I would give them a call if you need just the grommet.
      Shannon

67 Camaro - Finally getting to BUILD it.

Camaro Build -> HERE

Our Drag boat blog and videos HERE

ordered from spear tech. I ordered my kit from pace performance

Off subject but why would someone get a spear tech harness over a chevy performance engine harness kit from pace?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com