Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

509 rotating assembly

Any track oriented real world thoughts on the 509 BBC? Its the next step with relation to the 427.....bore to stroke ratio the same. Piston speed same. I'm thinking about staying with the Rat pack and adding the ZF 6 speed. I would probably use a 502 block and a lightweight balanced rotating assembly. Eventually would like to try out the latest stack injection as well.

I realize the big block will make the front end a bit heavy. But what does it feel like compared to a fast rev small block? I would liken it to that of a heavy 302 with a lot more torque?

David

David G

I'm actually in the process of building an all aluminum 509 (short block is complete). Internals are all lightweight components with a solid roller. It should have some rpm potential.
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Yelcamino View Post
      I'm actually in the process of building an all aluminum 509 (short block is complete). Internals are all lightweight components with a solid roller. It should have some rpm potential.
      That's what I was thinking Herb. My love for a quick rev comes from riding the Japanese bikes for years. Lol. I noticed Shaffiroff is building W lightweight 509 for a bit of coin....$22k. I will try to do that a bit cheaper. What plans did you have for fuel? Carb or injected?

David
      David G

It will be EFI. I currently have a MassFlo system on the Chevelle but I'm not sure if it will be able to meet the demands of the new engine so the MassFlo may find it's way onto the El Camino while I search for something else.
      Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Yelcamino View Post
      Herb,

I've been anxiously waiting on updates on your build . I think it will be awesome and we are all tired of hearing about LSx stuff. HA!

What crank did you go with? I've started getting parts together for a very similar build and finding a "lightweight" big block crank seems to be a bit of a challenge. Almost an oxymoron :-).

Have you made a head selection yet? That's also been kind of confusing. Nowadays everyone will say small port/oval port for a pump gas street build to keep port velocities up. However, with the higher winding ability of the short stroke combos I'd think you'd need a larger head to support that. Not so large that it would hurt low speed driving characteristics though I guess. Easy to get wrapped around the axle with all of this I've found out.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BBC71Nova View Post
      Herb,

I've been anxiously waiting on updates on your build . I think it will be awesome and we are all tired of hearing about LSx stuff. HA!

What crank did you go with? I've started getting parts together for a very similar build and finding a "lightweight" big block crank seems to be a bit of a challenge. Almost an oxymoron :-).

Have you made a head selection yet? That's also been kind of confusing. Nowadays everyone will say small port/oval port for a pump gas street build to keep port velocities up. However, with the higher winding ability of the short stroke combos I'd think you'd need a larger head to support that. Not so large that it would hurt low speed driving characteristics though I guess. Easy to get wrapped around the axle with all of this I've found out.

Thanks!
      I hope you're a patient person, because this one is going to take a while! Before I can get back on the 509 I have to make progress on the C10 (engine is currently at the machine shop). Once that's together, I want to get the El Camion going.

I chose a Scat 4340 lightweight crank, it's 65 lbs vs 95 lbs for an OEM forged crank. I also went with Scat H-beam rods and a set of Diamond pistons with short skirts and additional material removed to make 'em even lighter.

The heads will be rectangle port (not off the shelf) along with a matched intake and custom ground solid roller.
      Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com