Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Australia

Hey guys, need some help with a turbo plenum chamber please

I got a friend that wants me to fabricate a new efi turbo plenum chamber for his slant 6 motor.
      anyone got any tips or design parameters that I should work off, don't know a lot about them.

Much appreciated
      Mopar or no Car
      Your either with us or Behind us

Country Flag: United States

I just started a thread about my Studebaker project and have not yet got to the engine in my writeup, but I wanted something that looked more period correct than the stock intake on my Skyline straight six. My fabricator, Sean, who has built a lot of turbo systems, suggested that an old style cast valve cover would be about the right size and shape, and I found one with the Studebaker name cast in. It works perfectly for a turbo system because we put the throttle body on the front end with the intercooler inlet coming from in front of the radiator. Not going for more power, just did this for appearance reasons. Notice that the lower manifold is not modified.

The big boys with the high dollar super cars are using velocity stacks in their plenums - the designers say they get better flow if the inlets are raised up off the floor of the plenum. They also like to stagger the height of the stacks so they don't all draw from the same level in the plenum. I found a piece of very soft aluminum tubing with inside diameter EXACTLY the same as the runners in the lower manifold (I think it was a section of tubing used for 707 fuel lines, complete with Boeing part number and early 70s date). We made a set of dies on the lathe and formed the velocity stacks, welded them into the bottom plate, welded the throttle body flange into the valve cover and then welded on the cover. No one will ever see the velocity stacks, but the photos make a nice conversation piece, don't you think?

The idle air controller, cold start valve and a couple of vacuum fittings are mounted to the bottom of the plenum to reduce the cluttered look in the engine compartment. Hopefully all this will give you one or two useful ideas.

Name:  IMG_0269.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  190.5 KBName:  Forming velocity stack.JPG
Views: 602
Size:  279.7 KBName:  IMG_2669.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  188.4 KBName:  Intake bottom plate, cover and throttle body.JPG
Views: 626
Size:  175.4 KBName:  Intake plenumn - painted.JPG
Views: 619
Size:  228.7 KB

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Quote Originally Posted by Stilettoman View Post
      I just started a thread about my Studebaker project and have not yet got to the engine in my writeup, but I wanted something that looked more period correct than the stock intake on my Skyline straight six. My fabricator, Sean, who has built a lot of turbo systems, suggested that an old style cast valve cover would be about the right size and shape, and I found one with the Studebaker name cast in. It works perfectly for a turbo system because we put the throttle body on the front end with the intercooler inlet coming from in front of the radiator. Not going for more power, just did this for appearance reasons. Notice that the lower manifold is not modified.

The big boys with the high dollar super cars are using velocity stacks in their plenums - the designers say they get better flow if the inlets are raised up off the floor of the plenum. They also like to stagger the height of the stacks so they don't all draw from the same level in the plenum. I found a piece of very soft aluminum tubing with inside diameter EXACTLY the same as the runners in the lower manifold (I think it was a section of tubing used for 707 fuel lines, complete with Boeing part number and early 70s date). We made a set of dies on the lathe and formed the velocity stacks, welded them into the bottom plate, welded the throttle body flange into the valve cover and then welded on the cover. No one will ever see the velocity stacks, but the photos make a nice conversation piece, don't you think?

The idle air controller, cold start valve and a couple of vacuum fittings are mounted to the bottom of the plenum to reduce the cluttered look in the engine compartment. Hopefully all this will give you one or two useful ideas.

Very clever idea. Nicely done
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Way cool!!!

Original owner '84 Grand National. CAS V1 (big) front-mount intercooler, Comp roller hyd cam, Champion Al intake/heads, T66 turbo, 3.5" custom cat-back exhaust, RideTech TruTurn front & DSE rear swaybars/ctrl arms, Ridetech 3-way coilovers, Baer 6P 14/13. FAST w/TouchScreen & GM Flex Fuel sensor, 120 lb injectors, Ricks SS tank, Aeromotive Eliminator pump.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com