Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

oil consumption??turbo pcv setup

I Have a oil consumption issue and I do not run a pcv setup. I am leading to this may be the problem. I have a breather in each valve cover but I have a valley pan under the intake that is tapped and have a barb on it and pushing some oil through that. seems like I am building crankcase pressure. I am thinking about going from the base off the carb to a one way check valve than to the valley pan. I will have a tee screwed into valley pan so I can run another line to the intake tube on the turbo. That should take care off pulling vapor under boost. I have 23inches of vacuum at idle which leads me to believe that I have very good ring sealing. 150psi cranking compression. I know that the oil control rings could be the culprit but this motor has alittle over 200 miles and I am still puffing blue smoke. all cylinders are wet on the top of the pistons also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
      Paul

With that few miles I doubt the rings have seated yet. What kind of boost are you running? You are probably getting some blow-by under boost. I would drive it and watch the oil level. Once the rings seat it should get better.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

I am pulling over 20 inches of vacuum at idle so I feel my rings are somewhat seated but feel it is to do with not running a pcv. what type of pcv setups are you guys running with forced induction. I am running a 4150 hp and doesn't have a pcv port on it. Should I run it off off the booster port and run the booster off the full manifold vacuum port on my intake? I do have a open port on the valley cover. Thank you for any help

Have you looked at the Mann-Hummel ProVent?

Seems like the perfect solution for your issue: https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmi...nt_en_2013.pdf
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I dont understand why a regular PCV valve isnt included while setting cars up, if its inline under boost it slamms closed so as to not pressurize crankcase. Most people I know with custom PCV setups use Grand National valves with great success, also they have told me routing through a remote mounted canister helps IF they get some oil coming through it.
      Another possibility is a vacuum pump setup and I know guy who has both, the PCV valve AND added vacuum pump with remote catch tank attached to one valve cover and a vented cap on remote canister on other side, picked up 5 hp with it!
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Oddly enough, a properly designed PCV system is one of the few emmisions systems that is actually beneficial to an engine.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
      a properly designed PCV system is one of the few emmisions systems that is actually beneficial to an engine.
      Yep. PCV systems are one reason modern engines last much longer than their 50s and 60s counterparts. No horsepower loss, longer life.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com