Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

How to achieve 900-1k hp?

I started restoring my 1973 Chevy nova with my dad last year and got it running as a daily driver. We were planning on building a hot motor for it, something around 900+hp but still have it as like a weekend warrior or driven a few times a week. Currently there's a 350sbc, comp 280 cam, headers, rpm performer intake, edelbrock 650 carb, nothing special. Just something that sounded good and ran nice.

I saw a dual procharger kit for $4k that would supposedly put you around 1000hp and nearly 1000lb.ft of torque, but is that sort of power really attainable out of a 4 bolt main 350sbc? I am open to basically any and all ideas; new block/more displacement, making it a 383, I was considering a LS swap but I'm not sure how much money I'd have to sink into an LS on top of the cost of the swap and if it would be beneficial to me or not. My father was very good at building engines but we were never able to build one together so I am basically starting from scratch; a clean slate so my knowledge is very limited but I am a very fast learner and mechanically inclined. I know I can build any kind of motor, I just have to be pointed in the right directions as to what parts I should buy.

I guess im just curious why would need 900+hp on a weekend warrior car. Anything over 600 is pointless unless you're running slicks and have a properly setup car whether it be for drag or track use.Also with big hp comes big safety requirements. Sorry to be a buzzkill, but to answer at least one of your questions, i don't think i would consider that on a gm 350 block.
      67 Camaro CAM/C-prepared autocross Project
      72 Nova Street/Drag Car Project

1000hp is obtainable on an SBC. Forced induction is the only way. Supercharging isn't going to do it unless you run race gas and a crazy wild cam. Twin turbos would be the way to go. However, it'll cost ya. I personally wouldn't use a stock block for that much hp, but it would probably hold up for a little while ;)

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      1000hp is obtainable on an SBC. Forced induction is the only way. Supercharging isn't going to do it unless you run race gas and a crazy wild cam. Twin turbos would be the way to go. However, it'll cost ya. I personally wouldn't use a stock block for that much hp, but it would probably hold up for a little while ;)

-Dale
      I'll probably drop it down to 750hp. Would have it setup for street driving but I would still take it to the strip every once in a while. What style block should I look at that could handle 750hp for a while? I'd like to get quite a bit of mileage out of it...I would hate having to rebuild it every 15k miles or so unless it's just something easy to replace.

SHP by Dart is a good block to start with if you just want sbc.

Or you can use a Dart LSN block with the best of both the old style sbc on the bottom for better windage and LS heads on top for more power.

Also CFE makes a 600ci sbc. But I think the price on that is prohibitive for all but the deepest pockets.

What he said ^^^
      SchwartzPerformance

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I can actually use almost any block that will fit. I was thinking about doing a 454 since my father had a friend that built drag motors for his car so he could help me with the 454 build, could one of those blocks withstand 1000hp? I was looking at twin NRE Mirror Image turbos for it, depending on their price and what I have available at the time. Since this would be a weekend warrior of sorts...not driven often, I feel like a well built 1000hp motor driven easy and kept cool that it would last a *fairly* decent amount of time. Or would that be incorrect to think?

Turbo boost can be adjusted.. If you want a 1000hp car for bragging rights, bump the boost level up and throw race gas in it on a dyno.

As for a stock 454 block, I wouldn't count on it. If you're looking at expensive turbos like the NRE then spend the money on a decent block too.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance

I think you need to think thru what youre looking for. So far you want 750 plus hp, but dont want to rebuild every 15K miles, you want a reliable low maintenance hp engine. Those words shouldnt be in the same sentence. Are you loking for a bragging rights dyno queen? Shoot for 500 hp that you can actually use: hook up, then tune your car. If you build 750-1000 hp and set it up to actually use the power on the strip or roadcourse, you wnt spend much time on the street. Call Schwartz Performance, the guy that replied before me, same guy thats been building and winning for a long time, and discuss your options.

1000hp? Sure, but what about the rest of the drivetrain and support systems? Transmission, clutch, driveshaft, differential, brake systems, heat rejection, packaging, etc. Whatever your reliable engine price is, x4 at least to reasonably support it.

500-600hp can be had for much less money and be more fun to dirve.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I had a nitrous big block making a little over 1000 hp and it was a lot of maintenance even though the nitrous wasn't always in use the motor itself still needed tlc. It did last about 10 yrs though but it took a lot of of time to keep it going for that time, then I lost a lifter bridge and cam.

Have you ever driven a car with that much power?

Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com