Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel pressure/heat issue-Aeromotive stealth tank

I just completed a LS3 conversion on my 67’ Camaro. Now I have a fuel pressure/heat issue. The car runs great until you are down to half tank of fuel. Then you lose fuel pressure the engine leans out and shuts off. You can wait about ten mins (for fuel to cool) then start the car and you can drive a few miles until it happens again or fill the tank back up and your good to go. I have the Aeromotive stealth fuel tank for 67-68 F-body. I also have the Aeromotive fuel filter, regulator, fuel hose, fuel fittings and wiring kit. The fuel tank has the 340 stealth fuel pump. Fuel pressure is at 60psi, the tank is vented, regulator is mounted close to the fuel tank and has the return line to tank. All electrical is well grounded. I have called Aeromotive and they suggest moving the regulator to the engine bay. Before I start moving things I wanted to know if anyone else is having related issues.
      Bennie D
      1967 Camaro

Country Flag: United States
      Sorry to hear that you're having this issue, but I greatly appreciate you posting it. I've been having this issue at ambient temps over 79 degrees using a feed/return set-up and an external Edelbrock fuel pump. Search "boiling fuel" for some possible fixes.
      I had planned to run your exact tank set-up before buying a vaporworx tank. I haven't installed it yet so I have no feedback to offer there.

Subscribed.

Jim
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

I wonder why Aeromotive would want to move the regulator to the engine compartment and what effect that would have on in-tank fuel heating?
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

The only thing that comes to mind is, the return line will be longer & cool the fuel a bit more.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Country Flag: Canada

Fuel pressure/heat issue-Aeromotive stealth tank

I am running the same tank in a 69 camaro. I have -8 line feed and return. The a1000 regulator is mounted under the hood. I have a couple problems with this. First the tank is leaking where the fuel pump module is bolted in. It was loose so I snugged it up. Got better but still leaking starting to distort the rubber seal.
      Second the fuel system bleeds down to 0 now if the car sits for a bit. It used to sit for a day or 2 before it would bleed to 0. Now within 1/2 hr.
      Third thing. I have the reg set to 60 psi. It's fine when cold but then drops to about 55 psi when running about 15 mins and the tank gets pretty warm. The car stumbled pretty bad yesterday. Poss vaporlocking?
      This car has 100 miles on it
      I emailed areomotive. Just waiting for a reply.
      I think the fuel pumps have issues. I don't think moving your regulator will make a difference.

How is the fuel returning to the tank? Could it be that at a half a tank the return fuel is sloshing back into the tank and its too close to the pick up tube so the fuel pump is picking up the frothy fuel? Just an idea.

BTW, Im planning my system now and have read about this happening on other posts. May not be heat related???

But Im worried cause Im basically planning my system exactly as yours, please let us know how it goes...
      Pete

1968 Camaro
      2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543199

FYI, the vaporworx pwm controller works very well with the Stealth system and reduces at-idle power by 52%. A 0.025" hole is needed in the bypass plug on the underside of the hat, or a similar sized hole used on pump-only arrangements.

When used in this arrangement the system becomes a true returnless system with only a single line to the engine required. Unlike OE fuel modules, a filter before the fuel rail is needed.

The purpose of the bypass hole is that it allows a minimum amount of fuel to be pumped at all times so that the pump does not "chug" at low fuel demand. This fuel is simply returned to the fuel load. On OE fuel modules it is used to drive the suction pumps.
      Last edited by CarlC; 08-27-2014 at 10:12 PM.

I guess I am stumped on why they would mount it in the engine compartment also. I can tell you this, I run a rock valley tank with a stealth 340 pump and aeromotive regulator. Like a knuckle head I mounted my regulator to the front of the intake like fast does on its sbc intakes. The heat from the radiator and cooling fans caused to much heat in my fuel and I had the same problems you are having. I relocated the regulator next to the radiator with a small heat shield in between, also used some of the DEI black hose insulation on the lines and all problems are gone. I also have a aeromotive pump controller I am going to install soon to slow the pump down at low rpms.
      Let us know what you find out.
      Tom

I just bought the Aeromotive stealth tank for my 69 Camaro yesterday from jegs . I'm having second thoughts now. should I take it back. I hate to spend 665.00 for a fuel tank system that is not going to work as advertised. What are my options ?

Keep in mind that ethanol boils at 178 degrees. The higher pressure will help that some, as EFI is an on demand type of system. As you are sending fuel back to the tank, it's picking up heat. Meaning, the tank is full of nice hot fuel.

The only way I got around this in the nice hot Kansas summers was to insulate the fuel lines. Things I would check.

Fuel lines hot to the touch when it experiences the shut off?
      Fuel lines close to any exhaust source that would be helping to heat it up?
      Are you using the factory EFI set up? Pressure should be around 49-52 at idle.
      1967 El Camino 408ci LSx....and the build begins!
      1967 Turbocharged 408ci LSx Chevelle - 1012 rwhp, 959 rwtq 67 Chevelle
      2009 Supercharged Silverado - On the Dyno

Quote Originally Posted by 69ridetech View Post
      I just bought the Aeromotive stealth tank for my 69 Camaro yesterday from jegs . I'm having second thoughts now. should I take it back. I hate to spend 665.00 for a fuel tank system that is not going to work as advertised. What are my options ?
      Theres nothing wrong with the Aeromotive/Tanks INC system. Theres some reason why the fuel is picking up heat.

1967 El Camino 408ci LSx....and the build begins!
      1967 Turbocharged 408ci LSx Chevelle - 1012 rwhp, 959 rwtq 67 Chevelle
      2009 Supercharged Silverado - On the Dyno

In the summer I noticed that fuel tanks get pretty hot even with no pump to heat the fuel. Add a high flow pump that is short cycling fuel and running full speed and things can only get worse. Mine is currently carbureted and it boiled over out of the vent one hot day when the tank was full. Now I am switching to fuel injection using an Aeromotive tank and I was thinking of doing the following to help manage heat:

-Run the lines as they recommend and use an Aeromotive regulator
      -Ceramic coat the exhaust and/or wrap it to minimize heat transfer from exhaust TO tank/lines
      -Insulate the lines where they come close to the exhaust but leave the rest uninsulated to maximize heat transfer from the fuel TO ambient air as it travels from the tank, to engine, and back again.
      -Use a pwm pump speed control to slow the pump when not needed

I'm hoping this helps. I will probably put a heat sensitive sticker on the tank to see how hot it actually gets

Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      In the summer I noticed that fuel tanks get pretty hot even with no pump to heat the fuel. Add a high flow pump that is short cycling fuel and running full speed and things can only get worse. Mine is currently carbureted and it boiled over out of the vent one hot day when the tank was full. Now I am switching to fuel injection using an Aeromotive tank and I was thinking of doing the following to help manage heat:

-Run the lines as they recommend and use an Aeromotive regulator
      -Ceramic coat the exhaust and/or wrap it to minimize heat transfer from exhaust TO tank/lines
      -Insulate the lines where they come close to the exhaust but leave the rest uninsulated to maximize heat transfer from the fuel TO ambient air as it travels from the tank, to engine, and back again.
      -Use a pwm pump speed control to slow the pump when not needed

I'm hoping this helps. I will probably put a heat sensitive sticker on the tank to see how hot it actually gets
      All of this ^^^^ plus make sure your ignition timing is correct. I had many hot fuel issues (exhaust was already ceramic coated) and insulating the lines, adding a PWM controller and getting my timing dialed in at all conditions (so that fuel was not burning in the exhaust) made all the difference.
      1967 Firebird Convert, Fuel Injected 462 ci, TKO 600
      http://1967firebird.atwebpages.com

Which pwm control did you use?

I used the Aeromotive pwm. I'm not sure what's available now, but the Aeromotive unit cuts the pump output in half below an adjustable RPM threshold.
      1967 Firebird Convert, Fuel Injected 462 ci, TKO 600
      http://1967firebird.atwebpages.com

Ethanol may boil at 178 at atmospheric pressure, but not at 3bar.

I prefer to put the regulator on the motor close to the rail to get the best response and to flow fuel across the rail also purges any air bubbles from the rail.

With an in-tank pump return fuel must be sent into the canister the pump is mounted in.
      Last edited by dirty rick; 11-10-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: additional comments

UGH! I didn't need to see this!! I just bought the Aeromotive stealth 69 camaro tank for use in my LS1 Vega!!

I am still battling this HOT fuel issue with my Chevelle (since 2010). My Chevelle has a Ricks tank with the Aeromotive A1000. fuel pressure regulator on the front wheel housing plenty far from the radiator headers etc. You could only drive my Chevelle an hour in summer before the fuel would get too hot to pump. After one long week of Powertour in 2010 I Bought the Aeromotive controller and it got much much better but still iffy on really hot days.
      I can't set the pump speed any slower or I won't have the 43 psi for my Holley Terminator (installed this spring). The nice thing about having the EFI is I get a warning (lack of throttle response) that the pressure is dropping, when I had the carb, no warning just no fuel because it was too hot to pump and on the side of road.

Back to the Stealth Camaro tank for the LS1 Vega; I figured this 340 pump would be smaller and create less problems. I guess I will be going overboard routing my fuel lines away from heat....... and buying a controller. WTF!!!! Come on Aeromotive!
      Dan
      1971 Chevelle Maliboo Convertible 496/4L80E
      1956 210 2 door Sedan 8-71 blown 468/T400

I've had my Camaro running all summer with the Aeromotive stealth fuel tank and overall have been pretty happy except for one big thing- fuel starvation. Under normal driving all is well until about a 1/3 tank or so and then it sputters from lack of fuel, typically durning a hard turn. It then is fine as long as you take it easy. At the track today it was even worse. Gauge showed 1/2 to 2/3 full and under hard cornering and acceleration it would sputter. I did a datalog with my Holley efi that I need to check, but I'm sure it's a fuel issue. I topped off the tank, which only took about 6 gallons and all was well. Definitely not a heat issue. I'm waiting to hear back from Aeromotive with a solution hopefully soon. I don't mind spending extra cash to fix this, it just needs to get resolved.

Does anyone else running this tank have the same issue?

This problem is common for pump-on-a-stick tank designs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com