Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Cleaning DOT5 out of my brake lines?

I'm about to swap brakes on my GTO. I have a new master cylinder, proportioning valve and a brand new brake kit ready to go on this car. The problem is that I used DOT5 fluid in my current kit. Everything is getting replaced but the hardlines and they are only 2 years old so I would hate to toss them and buy new stuff. does anyone have any tips on cleaning out the old lines? Can I just blow them out with compressed air? Do I need to run solvent down them?
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Country Flag: United States
      Why can't you use Dot 5 on the new set-up?

I ask because I currently have Dot 5 in my Camaro and am about to switch from a master power disc/drum set-up to a Wilwood 4 wheel disc set-up.

thanks,
      Jim
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

Need to use an alcohol based solvent to clean out the lines. So either 91% isopropyl or denatured alcohol will do the trick.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
      Why can't you use Dot 5 on the new set-up?
      You can, but DOT 5 fluid is designed for show cars, museum pieces, etc. For any sort of enthusiast use, motorsports, or just driving it more than once a month, you should be using DOT 3, 4, or 5.1.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/.../0509sc_fluid/
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Excellent information!
      Thank you.
      Jim
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

As stated get a gallon of alcohol and bleed that through till you see it coming out for a little while. Popping the pistons out of the caliper will greatly help speed it up, as a lot of it stays in the caliper during bleeding. Once you bleed it through with alcohol get a good quantity of quality DOT 3 or 5.1 and bleed though for a while.

DO NOT blow it out with compressed air, as you will load up the lines with water, which will be very hard to get out.

I just used regular non chlorinated brake clean, remove prop valve and such. I have even had luck in cleaning rubber hoses.
      I even pulled master cylinder and calipers apart, then reassembled after cleaning.
      BUT I have used regular spray brake clean when people contaminated system with oil or power steering fluid.

Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Many motorcycles use silicone based fluid, our military uses silicone DOT 5. Bet Humvees in combat stress brakes as much as any of us would. I know many guys that use it and have no spongy pedal. I've had it in my 78 TA for 25 years no spongy feel autocrossing or shutting it down from 125mph at the drag strip to make the first turn around. I think it is a big reason the rear ratchet calipers on it have not locked up as most do with glycol based products.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

We used dot5 to bleed my brakes and it has zero run time. I want to switch to dot 3 or 4 brake fluid. Can i just open up my bleeders and pour in dot4 until its all gone?

I've heard DOT 5 is a Mother %$#^ to get rid of/clean out... virtually impossible some say. I'm staying with my old school DOT 3.

Again use brake clean and compressed air then use dot 4or5.1 for the higher boiling point.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Country Flag: Canada
      From what I have read, when the Dot 3, 4, 5.1 comes in contact with any bit of the DOT 5 it can form a Jello like substance that has the potential to cause an unsafe braking environment. I upgraded the front drums on my '65 to disc and ran all new hardlines last year, and ran Dot 5, thinking that it would be better because it wouldn't eat the paint if it came on contact. I must have spent $100 on brake fluid and hours on hours trying to get the god damned thing bled....I finally got it to bleed but the pedal never felt right, so I looked into going back to Dot 4 and realized it wasn't that easy. I have decided on the 4-wheel Disc setup that I should have went with in the first place, I will be running new hard lines, a new master and Dot 4 with the new set up. I would hate to find out the hard way that Dot 4 and Dot 5 are in fact not compatible. I'm sure its possible to clean brake lines, but in my case, the new hard lines I ran last year didn't fit quite right so I will do it again and do it right and make sure to run Dot 4 this time.
      Jayson - '65 Beaumont Convertible

Gotta clean the snot out of it. When they mix things don't go well. There's also reasons why most racing organizations do not allow DOT 5.

Tommy

Tommy Souren

"The older I get, the faster I was."

Grandma's 20k mile '80 Malibu Classic, in-progress factory style LS6 454, Legend LGT 700 5 speed, 9" 3.70 posi, Global West suspension, 12"/11" discs.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com