Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Where can I get this color paint?

Where would I be able to purchase GMs victory red paint? The body prep is nearly done on my car and would love to shot it I'm victory red with some matte black stripes and trim thanks!
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      Buying on line SPI is my fav by a long shot. No high build or clear shoots better at any price. Locally any place that sells paint if you are not fussy. If you are fussy look for the PPG sign and get ready for sticker shock.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/index.htm

BTW if you are not the one that is going to be pulling the trigger on the paint gun this question needs to go to who is.
      Jim Stainer
      96 Miata powered by an 02 Camaro SS

Im thinking just about any automotive paint store, could be wrong though..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

You don't have to buy a paint color at any special paint, especially a color as common as Victory Red. They can look it up through their books for the color code, or Google it, in this case I see it looks like WA9260, but have them verify before you mix it. It's red, so sit down when they quote you the price.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Always has been and I figure it always will be..... but yes, sit (or lay) down upon quotation...

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      You don't have to buy a paint color at any special paint, especially a color as common as Victory Red. They can look it up through their books for the color code, or Google it, in this case I see it looks like WA9260, but have them verify before you mix it. It's red, so sit down when they quote you the price.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      Red is definitely the most expensive color. When I had my car painted 15 years ago (!) it was $500 per gallon. I think it took two gallons of base coat.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Nearly fainted when he quoted me good thing I was sitting down looks like I'll go with a dark blue or something

Planit Oahu, Hawaii if you don't belive me check shipping prices
      Napa has very good paint. and red is a translucent color so it will take more paint to cover than say yellow. and yes red cost more per gal.

Napa paint is Martin Senour which is re-branded Sherwin Williams products. Back in 1936 Martin Senour was a varnish company. Napa auto parts wanted a private label paint to sell so Sherwin Williams bought Martin Senour and used the name for the Napa label. So Napa is Shermin Williams paint. It's not low quality for sure but dosn't have the top shelf brand reputation stuff like PPG or Dupont. My point is if you are going to use Napa you may as well cut the middle man out and just go to Sherwan Williams.

But don't get too caught up on brands. A good painter will paint with ease any decent brand and the way painted is marketed is so obscene it's amazing anyone buys the grossly overpriced names. None of them are enough different to make one stand out as brilliant over the others. 99.9% of paint issues are with prep and application and any brand or price cannot overcome that.
      Jim Stainer

Quote Originally Posted by 71maroesteban View Post
      Nearly fainted when he quoted me good thing I was sitting down looks like I'll go with a dark blue or something
      You don't have to pay a truck load for paint. There are plenty of top quality builds out there with budget paint on them that dosn't cost 750 bucks a gallon. There are a lot of painters out there that like SPI stuff better than the expensive name brands including myself.

There is nothing magic about victory red. Go on line and order some paint chips from the budget paint guys like Kirker (autobody mart) and the coating store. For 10 bucks you will be looking at a 100+ colors and I guarantee you there will be one you like better than victory red for a fraction of the cost of PPG.

One last thought. I know you want the best for your baby but keep in mind the paint on her will not be subjected to the life of a normal car. It will never see winter, never sit out dirty in the elements and rarely even get rained on. Even crappy paint will hold up great in those conditions.
      Jim Stainer

How much was it per gallon?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I don't believe in name brands either. For a decade now I've been using Matrix brand paints and clears, and they've held up well for never being in a garage. My first was my 87 S10 Blazer I did in Torch Red 10 years ago. The paint still looks awesome, no flaking, no fading, still beautiful. I 2 toned it about 8 years ago, and painted the upper half black leaving the red intact... I can't say the PPG base/clear I used held up as well. Maybe because it's black, but it all needs to be redone as the clear has some serious flaking issues.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      How much was it per gallon?

Andrew
      750 for a gallon and a half. I'm getting all the body work done for free thinking I'd save me money but 750, I had to ask again to make sure

Blue or red not much dif in price... It takes red to make blue so it cost a lot too. Just pick the color you want and get it.

If you want that paint color on the camaro just run the vin code. Look at the windshield and write the vin # down call you local chevy deanship,ask for parts department and they will look it up for you and give you the paint code from the vin. That info is free. But it's still going to be around $400. a gal with cheaper line.It's funny that people will spend tons of money on the motor and chassis but not on the stuff everyone looks at all the time and that needs to hold up the best. Spend enough to get the mid grade paint it;s better then repainting it later because it didn't hold up..

Sent you over a PM, I feel that you don't need the high end lines like PPG or Dupont but you do need a mid level priced item..
      By stating PPG and Dupont I am referring to one of their quality lines, they also make some of the lowest paint lines available IMO as well.
      I'm a SPI and Pro-Spray user myself.

What I'm going to do is use a mid cost basecoat, and a higher end clear. Using the same brand paint. I think the clear is where you need to get the most for your buck. Yeah, I'm not using the ultra expensive stuff either. Especially since I'm going to drive mine. I always wanted a candy color but if I drive mine all the time it's going to get bumped, dinged or something and I'd have a fit if I had to repaint because of a fender bender, so I'll use the not so expensive paint.

Carl Wilson

A cheap base can cause a lot of problems. Die back issues, adhesion issues. but no matter what products are chosen, any issues usually get blamed on the clear even though the issues can be from below.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com