Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Kick panel air vents

I have never driven a car with kick panel air vents that use cowl air pressure to bring outside air into the cabin. I will have an aftermarket A/C system (no outside air circulation) and am considering whether to block these vents off, so I wanted to get opinions on how useful they are.

1. How noisy are they when they are open? Quieter than rolling down windows?
      2. How much airflow do you get? Just a light breeze or full force blowing like rolling down windows?
      3. How effective are they at sealing out outside air, water, and noise when closed?

Thanks

I love the kick panel vents. I know a lot of the aftermarket a/c kits have you block them off, I know the Vintage Air kit I put into a 71 Chevelle did. Not sure why, maybe you don't want conflicting airflow while the air is on, but it's nice to have a source of fresh air into the car when you want to, which is my only complaint with the Vintage Air, the air was just recirculated throughout the car.

As far as functionality, the kick panel vents aren't noisy, and they flow decent air. They aren't a substitute for windows, but they make a huge difference, at least down here in AZ, especially if you're wearing shorts. I've never had a problem with them leaking either, as far as water, and air would be negligible, if at all. Sound, no different from a closed kick panel.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I second what Josh said. I used them for years before they were discontinued in production. The flow a fair amount of air, but not as much as windows, and are not noisy. They never seemed to let water into the interior.

I am keeping them functional in my Nova because I really like them. I miss them in the newer cars.

Kick panel air vents

I personally really like the floor /cowl vents in my Mustang. They flow a ton of air at highway speeds and are great in my non-A/C car!

Country Flag: Canada
      I'll just agree with what everyone else has said. I have them in my Vega and Nova and really like them. They are more effective on the highway where you build up more pressure at the cowl. Unfortunately they flow best with a window cracked open and that can be noisy, but not as bad as having the window all the way down. If I'm going down the highway, even on the hottest of days, they can keep me pretty cool.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Have them on my Chevelle and El Camino. They sure do make a difference on a non-AC car. Not noisy, they seal up just fine. WAY quieter than rolling down the windows! Definitely not as much airflow as rolling down a window, but enough to move some air. If its not moving enough, just drive faster! Given I live in a very wet and rainy climate, never had a leak issue once everything was clean and in serviceable condition. Keep em if you want. I converted mine for speakers, though may convert back if the car goes to a warmer climate.
      1967 El Camino 408ci LSx....and the build begins!
      1967 Turbocharged 408ci LSx Chevelle - 1012 rwhp, 959 rwtq 67 Chevelle
      2009 Supercharged Silverado - On the Dyno

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like I will plan on keeping them operational.

Jerome

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com