Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

BBC blower on SBC

Hi guys, I just found my grandpas roots style supercharger packed away in a barn a few days ago and was toying with the idea of throwing it on my car. it was originally on a 502 boat motor that made over 800hp and I want to put it on my 355, after adjusting the compression and what not, that puts out around 400hp n/a. my question is, I know that the BBC manifold will not work on the SBC but could I get a SBC B&M manifold and bolt the supercharger to that or is the whole unit for a big block and not interchangable? it looks to be fairly small maybe a 144 or something with a single carb. any info will help, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78 Bird View Post
      Hi guys, I just found my grandpas roots style supercharger packed away in a barn a few days ago and was toying with the idea of throwing it on my car. it was originally on a 502 boat motor that made over 800hp and I want to put it on my 355, after adjusting the compression and what not, that puts out around 400hp n/a. my question is, I know that the BBC manifold will not work on the SBC but could I get a SBC B&M manifold and bolt the supercharger to that or is the whole unit for a big block and not interchangable? it looks to be fairly small maybe a 144 or something with a single carb. any info will help, thanks
      Some pictures would help. I bet you have a B&M 250 blower. Holley bought the B&M blower business years ago and integrated it into the Weiand supercharger line. Some parts might be available through them, while you might have to look for other used parts.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Some pictures would help. I bet you have a B&M 250 blower. Holley bought the B&M blower business years ago and integrated it into the Weiand supercharger line. Some parts might be available through them, while you might have to look for other used parts.

Andrew
      thanks! I'll try uploading some pics

That looks like a 174 blower. I don't believe that they ever offered a 144 for the BBC. To make it work with a SBC, you will need a SBC intake and probably a whole new drive snout.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

That looks like a 174 blower. I don't believe that they ever offered a 144 for the BBC. To make it work with a SBC, you will need a SBC intake and probably a whole new drive snout.

Andrew
      ok cool, do you know if I would be able to buy a small block manifold and use it on that for my application, or will this only work on a big block? thanks again for the info

Quote Originally Posted by 78 Bird View Post
      ok cool, do you know if I would be able to buy a small block manifold and use it on that for my application, or will this only work on a big block? thanks again for the info
      I have no idea.

Here is the current Weiand 177 SBC kit:

http://holley.com/6506-1.asp

It looks like the blower case is different. You might have a 174 blower there, but I don't see Weiand doesn't list a 174 SBC kit anymore.

Honestly, I would eBay all that stuff and forget about it. There are way better options available now to make power. For the money that you will sink into making this work on your SBC, you might as well do a DIY turbo kit or a low buck LSx swap.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I have no idea.

Here is the current Weiand 177 SBC kit:

http://holley.com/6506-1.asp

It looks like the blower case is different. You might have a 174 blower there, but I don't see Weiand doesn't list a 174 SBC kit anymore.

Honestly, I would eBay all that stuff and forget about it. There are way better options available now to make power. For the money that you will sink into making this work on your SBC, you might as well do a DIY turbo kit or a low buck LSx swap.

Andrew
      gotcha, well hopefully I can make a good buck on it. thanks for the help

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com