Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

c5 brakes and 17 snowflakes?

Anybody running a similar set up? Im thinking of ordering a set of the year one snowflakes but I'm not sure if they would work with my kore3 c5 kit. If anybody has done input on this or what bs on wheels would work it'd be appreciated. Thanks for any help.

2000 Pontiac Trans Am, Ls1/t56, SLP lid, LT's, cut-out, Borla cat-back.

1980 Pontiac Trans Am, soon to get Ls1/t56 transplant.

Country Flag: United States
      I am running 17x9 Year One Snowflakes on my 69 Firebird. They clear my Baer 13" system no problem. I understand the the calipers used are the same as a C5 Vette, so I would say, you'll be fine!
      1969 Firebird 455HO, TH400, 12 Bolt 3:42, 17X9 Snowflakes w/ 275/40R17 Nitto's, Hugger Orange Imron, Aug 1987 Car Craft cover car.

Awesome thanks for the info. This is my first choice on wheels since they're priced fairly and look good. I've ran into some 18 inch wheels locally with tires and all that I wouldn't mind buying so we'll see. The only think I would need is some spacers for the rear possibly.
      2000 Pontiac Trans Am, Ls1/t56, SLP lid, LT's, cut-out, Borla cat-back.

1980 Pontiac Trans Am, soon to get Ls1/t56 transplant.

Baer brakes use a much larger rotor offset to clear the wheels, compared to a stock c5 brake. The best bet is to call year one and ask about pad clearance on those snowflakes. Look at the templates on Baer's and Kore3's sites and you'll see the difference.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Direct from Marty Thomas at Y/O back in 2012, the 17" cast one-piece Snowflakes fit the 325mm C5/C6 brakes based on the template. FWIW, the 17" cast one-piece Honeycombs were a bit tighter, but Marty thought it would fit very closely as-is and/or with a thin spacer.

Tobin
      KORE3
      It's what I does.

Quote Originally Posted by Apogee View Post
      Direct from Marty Thomas at Y/O back in 2012, the 17" cast one-piece Snowflakes fit the 325mm C5/C6 brakes based on the template. FWIW, the 17" cast one-piece Honeycombs were a bit tighter, but Marty thought it would fit very closely as-is and/or with a thin spacer.

Tobin
      KORE3
      I have the 17" cast one-piece Rally II's and they don't fit. I assume the interior diameter is the same.
      John McLoughlin
      1970 Pontiac Lemans
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lemans-Update

The Rally II is a bit different on the inside than the Snowflake, but not sure exactly where the difference is.
      2018 Cruze LT Hatchback
      2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L
      1975 MGB Roadster
      2003 GSX750F Katana

Sorry to revive an old thread but I do not want to create a new one. Has anyone verified fitment on these wheels?

I have a set of the first 17x9 wheels that needed to be preordered from YearOne and they are setup for the stock lug nuts unlike the newer ones. There was also a backspacing change on these on later sets.

Also, I have a Fast Warehouse hydroboost bracket and a Chevy Astro booster/cylinder I picked from a yard. What is a recommended setup for these Kore3 C5 kits?

One other potential issue esp with the early ones they are not hubcentric on the factory second gen hubs/axles or most GM ones and need a spacer ring.

Also since they take the stock lugs the shank on them is only about .700 where as the wheel hole is .750(factory 15s about .735) why the factory were hubcentric- 2.78 I believe. There are some Toyota lugnuts I think .750 with a slightly longer shank.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
      One other potential issue esp with the early ones they are not hubcentric on the factory second gen hubs/axles or most GM ones and need a spacer ring.

Also since they take the stock lugs the shank on them is only about .700 where as the wheel hole is .750(factory 15s about .735) why the factory were hubcentric- 2.78 I believe. There are some Toyota lugnuts I think .750 with a slightly longer shank.

Can you elaborate on this more? Do you have a set? I didn't quite catch everything. I will provide some measurements as soon as I can for reference on this thread. Like I said, my set is of the first batch that I had to wait a few months for.

I have a set-from Classic. Also have LOTS of factory 8" snowflakes.

Summary-Wheel hole for lug nut .730ish for 15" factory(depending on wear over time), 15" repop .750, 17" repop .750. Lug nut shank(part that fits in wheel) .700. Factory used the hub register on the front and axle register on the rear to center the wheels and factory 15" and I think 15" repop are a good fit. 17" center hole is a hair larger not centering the wheel. Since the lug nut are smaller that the wheel holes the wheel can be off center if the hub,register do not center it on the 17" wheels-all version. This is also a factor on aftermarket rear axles using a disc as the brake pilot/hub is too short to center the wheel. These factory wheels and lug nuts are meant to be centered by the hub-"hubcentric", and not lug centric. Many aftermarket wheels that are lug centric the lug nut is only .010 small OD than the wheel's lug nut hole ID. Teh Toyota lug nut may be able to do that but I have not ordered and test fit. Look at the Corvette lugnut(identical to the snowflake) shank length and diameter compared to the Toyotas.

http://customwheelaccessories.com/in...-nuts/mag.html

There are hubcentric spacers that can act as a bushing for the wheel to fit the hub and help it be hubcentric. I forgot the dimensions exactly I have them somewhere.

Also for aftermarket rear axles Dutchman is the only one making a long pilot for using discs and hubcentric wheels, Moser laughs at you and says use lug centric wheels.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

lugnuts

The toyota lug nuts work great on the 17" wheels. We used longer studs and got some open end lugs for them. We also changed to studs that fit the toyota lugnut.
      Kenny

I swapped on the 81 the 1LE rotors with 12 mm studs and have the factory style metrics even on factory wheels I'd like more engagement so the Toyotas are going to get a try.

I also had my Dutchman rear axles drilled for 7/16 and metric so I can have the same size if I really want to not get confused
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com