Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      So...I am looking for some input here as to what might have happened. The turkey was a smashing success, but I am trying to get a better understanding for future reference.

The bird was not big, only about 13 pounds. It was also a fresh (never frozen). I was very careful to keep the smoker hovering between 200 and 225 degrees. Every source that I found on the internet about smoking turkeys was saying 30-40 minutes per pound, which to me sounded crazy. When I make a bird in the oven I allocate about 14-15 minutes per pound (unstuffed) and that has never failed me. So I figured an a lower temperature I will give it about 20 minutes per pound, which worked out to a little over 4 hours.

I wanted to serve at 4:00pm, so I stuck the bird in at noon. After about 2 hours I open the smoker and I find this:

The internal temperature was already up to 150 degrees. I adjusted the temperature of the smoker to be under 200 and just kept it in there until about 3:45, and the internal temp was up to around 165. I have a good degree of confidence in my thermometer and once the bird was carved it looked as one might expect poultry to look. It was moist and juicy and had a good smoke flavor.

Basically I am wondering why it cooked so quickly...

Oh yeah, we also did a little grilling:

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

That looks pretty awesome Andrew!

Here's mine. The little pieces of chicken are for the chicken and dumplins.

Bob,

How long did you smoke the turkey?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I hate to say it, but I didn't keep track. To be quite honest, I had to get creative with the cooking, because it was taking too long. I was using charcoal and the temps were too low (225) to meet the dinner deadline. After a couple hours, I "tented" it with foil and put it in the oven on 375 to get it done faster. It was a twenty pounder, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
      I hate to say it, but I didn't keep track. To be quite honest, I had to get creative with the cooking, because it was taking too long. I was using charcoal and the temps were too low (225) to meet the dinner deadline. After a couple hours, I "tented" it with foil and put it in the oven on 375 to get it done faster. It was a twenty pounder, by the way.
      Was it a previously frozen bird?

As I said, I was shocked as to how fast the internal temp came up. I was having a hard time with temp control because the little smoker that I got only has "low - Med - High" settings. I had it outside and on high it wasn't maintaining where I wanted it to be (225). I then brought the smoker inside the rented tent that also had a big propane umbrella heater in it. It was probably 35-40 degrees inside the tent, so on the medium setting I was able to maintain 210-225 inside the smoker.

It was a 13 pound bird and after 2 hours I opened the smoker to turn the bird around, and the meat thermometer that I stuck in the deep part of the breast was reading 155. I wasn't ready to serve, so I kept it on low (which was only 175-180 inside the smoker) for another 2 hours and internal temp got to 165, which I felt was perfect. So total time was 4 hours MAX. This works out to about 18 minutes per pound. When I cook a bird in the oven I usually allocate 14-15 minutes per pound with the oven at 325.

I am just trying to understand why all the videos on youtube were saying 30-40 minutes per pound. That seems nuts!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Yea, I don't know where they're getting those numbers from, that's crazy. That would mean my 20# bird should take five plus hours?
      No, not unless they're cooking at something like 175, which I've heard of, but it's pretty rare you hear that. Usually it's right around where we're at.
      I was shooting for 275, but I couldn't get it up that high (insert penis joke here). The bad thing about a charcoal fire, is you can't just dump more briskets on the fire.

EDIT: "Yes" it was previously frozen, but was completely thawed.

I had a somewhat similar experience Andrew. 14 lb bird took 3 hours at 275-300.

I got hungry looking at this thread. If i recall correctly didn't someone here make their own smoker?

edit: nevermind, this was the smoker I was thinking of: http://smokerbuilder.com/forums/view...php?f=80&t=259
      67 Camaro CAM/C-prepared autocross Project
      72 Nova Street/Drag Car Project

Quote Originally Posted by bergers59 View Post
      I got hungry looking at this thread. If i recall correctly didn't someone here make their own smoker?

edit: nevermind, this was the smoker I was thinking of: http://smokerbuilder.com/forums/view...php?f=80&t=259
      That smoker looks to be a "cold" smoker for doing cheese and fish.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I've seen that build thread on another forum. It's actually a true smoker. I forget what he said he takes the temps up to, but 300 I think maybe?
      It's on my "to-do" list to build one just like that. I've had the link saved for quite some time. I like the fact that it doesn't take up much real estate, yet will cook enough food to feed an entire subdivision.

I'm not a big fan of propane smokers, but I'd be using something like this for "smoke taste:
      http://www.amazenproducts.com/Default.asp

Bob

EDIT: On page two he says he took it to 270, which is hotter than I'll ever need.

Alright, BTT!
      I finally got all my stuff to convert this old Oklahoma Joe smoker to a pellet smoker and got it all hooked up/modded and used it for the first time tonight on a pork loin. I've never smoked anything before, so hopefully I cooked it long enough and all! LoL! It is a 4lb loin and it has been on there for about 4 hours now. I just pulled it off and the internal temp was 150°, so hopefully it's just right. I had the temp up a bit (like 250° smoker temp) for about half the time then just turned it on the smoke setting the rest of the time. It looks pretty black on the top of the meat currently, but I haven't cut into it yet, just wrapped it in foil and hopefully it'll be good tomorrow for moms day lunch. Seasoned with salt and pepper only and the pellets were pecan wood.

Give me some pointers guys!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Quote Originally Posted by shmoov69 View Post
      Give me some pointers guys!
      Check out http://amazingribs.com/table_of_contents.html.
      There is more information on there than you could read in a week!
      They talk about truths, fiction, myths, and explain the "whys" of all of it.

Learn the terms "the stall", "bark", and "rest".
      Learning those three should be high on your list.

Some family came over for dinner last night and I made some chicken thighs on the smoker. I let them go for about 2 hours on the Low setting, which was about 160 degrees on the temp gauge. Then I turned it up to Medium, which showed about 250 degrees on the gauge, for another hour, flipping about every 20 minutes. The skin gets nice and crispy and you can pull the bone out with your fingers. Way better than grilled chicken.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Here is a brisket and pork loin I did today. I think I could really get into this stuff!! LoL!
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

Looks good. Was it all you wanted and more?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Thanks Bob, I'll check it out.
      Here is my smoker that I converted to a pellet burner. I LOVE the set and walk away!

Andrew, I think my brisket was a bad cut because it was pretty tough. I put it on the smoke setting (150° internal) at 9:00am and turned it up to get the meat to proper temp (170° internal) at about 3:00 and then pulled off and wrapped in foil at about 3:30 and unwrapped and ate at about 6:00. I would've thought that would've made it tender enough? But I'm new and maybe didn't do it right. Pork was great tho!!
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

That looks like a great set-up Jimmy. I've actually been thinking about building my a bigger pellet smoker!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I used this on my brisket
      http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/blends/swtmakansas.html
      And this on the pork loin
      http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/blends/longs.html

My niece works there and sent me some varieties of things she likes. Awesome stuff!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

I'm not sure how I missed this thread. I love me some BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by shmoov69 View Post
      Thanks Bob, I'll check it out.
      Here is my smoker that I converted to a pellet burner. I LOVE the set and walk away!

Andrew, I think my brisket was a bad cut because it was pretty tough. I put it on the smoke setting (150° internal) at 9:00am and turned it up to get the meat to proper temp (170° internal) at about 3:00 and then pulled off and wrapped in foil at about 3:30 and unwrapped and ate at about 6:00. I would've thought that would've made it tender enough? But I'm new and maybe didn't do it right. Pork was great tho!!
      Jimmy what temperature where you cooking at? Brisket can be tricky, no two are alike in cooking time or internal temperature for when they are done. I cook on a UDS and tend to go hot and fast they are never longer than 5.5 hrs to 6 hrs to cook a full packer brisket. I don't measure internal temp but I do probe to doneness and then pull and rest.
      Sean James

69 Firebird - Build Thread
      72 Firebird

I have made a few UDS though not too ugly.

Mine

For my Brother-in-law

For a friend

Another Friend

And one for a coworker's husband that is a huge Star Trek fan.

Sean James

69 Firebird - Build Thread
      72 Firebird

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com