Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
      I do agree, a lot of useful BBQ recepies here, I wasn't yet a member and read this thread many secrets depend on state. My dad has just bought a new grill, gonna throw a house warming BBQ party this weekend!

Country Flag: United States
      Well, it's time for me to join in the fun. Back in July I scored a deal during an Amazon Prime day. I picked up a 22" Traeger and I love it. So far it's just been used for tri-tips, whole chickens, one brisket and the Thanksgiving Turkey.

Its time to branch out and try something new.

Last edited by Larry Callahan; 12-23-2018 at 07:02 AM.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Looking good Larry!!! Damn it, now I want to fire mine up!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I think I would like to try some Salmon. Has anyone had any luck with it?
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Callahan View Post
      I think I would like to try some Salmon. Has anyone had any luck with it?
      I've never done salmon, but I recall that it should be cured first in salt and sugar to pull the moisture. I bet there are a dozen videos on YouTube.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Nice! Congrats!
      Just a heads-up, the circuit boards on those are cheap, and sometimes can fail in epic fashion, causing it to smoke like a locomotive and ruining the meat. Be weary of a backdraft as a result, otherwise you'll lose your eyebrows. There's an aftermarket manufacturer of the boards that tends to be more reliable.
      DISCLAIMER: I'm not a "pellet pooper" kinda guy, and have never owned one. I'm only repeating what I've heard and seen on the internet forums/boards.
      I can't give a recommendation on the manufacturer as a result. Just don't put the unit near your house (unless it's brick).
      There's a Canadian gal named "DivaQ" that makes a LOT of great food on her Traeger, and swears by it.

- - - Updated - - -

Salmon is fantastic!
      I've done it the hard ways, and the easy ways, and to be honest, the easy ways taste just as good.
      Just look for some videos on how to pull out the "pin bones".

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
      Nice! Congrats!
      Just a heads-up, the circuit boards on those are cheap, and sometimes can fail in epic fashion, causing it to smoke like a locomotive and ruining the meat. Be weary of a backdraft as a result, otherwise you'll lose your eyebrows. There's an aftermarket manufacturer of the boards that tends to be more reliable.
      DISCLAIMER: I'm not a "pellet pooper" kinda guy, and have never owned one. I'm only repeating what I've heard and seen on the internet forums/boards.
      I can't give a recommendation on the manufacturer as a result. Just don't put the unit near your house (unless it's brick).
      There's a Canadian gal named "DivaQ" that makes a LOT of great food on her Traeger, and swears by it.

- - - Updated - - -

Salmon is fantastic!
      I've done it the hard ways, and the easy ways, and to be honest, the easy ways taste just as good.
      Just look for some videos on how to pull out the "pin bones".
      Bob,

Care to describe some of the easy ways for salmon? The whole filets that are available to me locally are generally very well deboned. We buy them at least a couple of times per month, but I have never smoked one.

BTW, I too have a new pellet smoker. There was a smokin (haha) deal on Woot. After tearing into the Traeger, it became pretty obvious that all of these are built in the same way, using the same generic components, probably in the same two factories in China. LOL Mine is a Zgrills brand and it has been great so far.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 12-23-2018 at 08:58 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

1/2 Cup Kosher Salt
      1.0 Cup Brown sugar
      Dash Rosemary and Thyme

Put long layer of aluminum foil with long layer of plastic wrap on top.
      Mix dry ingredients in bowl, then spread evenly on plastic wrap.
      Put fish, meat side face down. Wrap as tightly as possible.
      Refrigerate wrapped, with cookie sheet on top and weighted down.
      I remove most of the 'rub' before smoking, but may give a dash of kosher salt and pepper.
      Don't remove skin, and cut into serving sizes (about the size of a playing card).
      Smoke indirect to 145 degrees. I use an instant read thermometer.

Also is a great snack right out of the fridge as leftovers.
      So much so, that I have to hide it in the fridge like easter eggs, or my teenage daughter will eat it all within a day.

That's the easy way. I tried to find my recipe for the hard way, but probably deleted it.
      It involved an overnight process of flipping the meat a few times, and adding spices along the way.
      Wasn't worth the time.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com