Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Smokers...BBQ...NOT grilling...

I've had the pleasure of living in Memphis since August 2009. I have really enjoyed my time here and I have also really enjoyed a great Memphis tradition: BBQ.

BBQ involves slow cooking (and smoking) all manner of meat. In Memphis, this generally means pork shoulder and ribs, but also chicken and occasionally beef brisket. There are numerous places where all these delicacies can be enjoyed and the locals treat it like a religion. However, I am in the process of moving north and I have come to realize that if I want to enjoy these foods again, which I definitely do, I will have to make them myself.

I am currently shopping for various options for smokers but I am open to any opinions that y'all might have. I have my sights currently set on the following model:

https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/d...5#.U08GwNz30ds

Looking forward to discussing this topic.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Andrew,

My father in law has that exact same model. It works great. He usually starts the conversation off with "I'm smoking some..." and I usually just hang up the phone and start driving over because its going to be amazing.

I have a charcoal smoker and I don't use it as much because you have to always be watching the bbq. Monitoring the temperature, smoke density, etc. My in law just sets it and forgets it. So he's used his alot in the last 6 months. I haven't fired mine up once.

The only complaint I heard was you have to use Traeger only pellets, but that hasn't stopped him from using it a lot.

The purist will probably say stay away from electric smokers, but for convenience and ease of use I would buy one.

Why would you want to "Smoke" your own meat when you will be able to ENJOY that "World Famous Wisconsin BBQ"???
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

I have declared I will no longer talk - religion, politics or BBQ People get emotional when they figure out Memphis BBQ kicks vinegar, mayo, mustard....

But seriously. Check out the smoke ring (link below)... 1000+ web links for teams, vendors, recipes etc..

What ever you get make sure it is thick enough to maintain heat if you cook between 215-230 degrees. If it's to thin you will have temp swings in fall, winter and windy days... I've had several smokers, I currently have a 3/8" thick 16" dia pipe casing with a side firebox... If I fill it up with butts I can do about 45-50 lbs and I try to buy 6# butts...

I wish it were 20" dia.. I have a small pipe the length of the smoker and run LP in that.. The meat will not absorb more smoke after the first couple hours.. I start it on wood / get the flavor and switch to gas. The wood choice really makes the most difference in smoke flavor... Red/white Oak, hickory, pecan etc.

http://www.thesmokering.com/index.ph...g/?task=browse
      Eric

67-GTO project in process
      Charlotte, NC

You guys are not going to believe this but I have a friend that invited me to a cookout put on by a seed distributor. (he was the manager of a cotton gin here in Arkansas). I got there and he said they were having ribs and chicken, smoked of course. I got there and found no cooker anywhere, yet I could smell it cooking. He finally showed me that they had dug a hole in the ground, about 4' square, filled it with charcoal and built a box out of plywood, lined the inside with aluminum foil, and put the seasoned meat in with dry rub. They then put a layer of aluminum foil on top of that along with a plywood top. This slow cooked for a few hours and it was some of the best chicken and ribs I've ever eaten. I mean fall of the bone! I was impressed!

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Besides Andrew, you can always call and I'll go down to your favorite spot and send you some. I'm going to be in Memphis this weekend. My Andrew's birthday is the 19th and he is wanting to go to Memphis. (he really likes Guitar Center) and likes to eat at the Butcher Shop. I think I've spoiled him. He now wants to try out J. Alexanders. I've never eaten there.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Carl,

Have fun on your trip. I am still in town. If you want BBQ, my favorite place is The BBQ Shop in Midtown, on Madison.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by wayward View Post
      I have declared I will no longer talk - religion, politics or BBQ People get emotional when they figure out Memphis BBQ kicks vinegar, mayo, mustard....

But seriously. Check out the smoke ring (link below)... 1000+ web links for teams, vendors, recipes etc..

What ever you get make sure it is thick enough to maintain heat if you cook between 215-230 degrees. If it's to thin you will have temp swings in fall, winter and windy days... I've had several smokers, I currently have a 3/8" thick 16" dia pipe casing with a side firebox... If I fill it up with butts I can do about 45-50 lbs and I try to buy 6# butts...

I wish it were 20" dia.. I have a small pipe the length of the smoker and run LP in that.. The meat will not absorb more smoke after the first couple hours.. I start it on wood / get the flavor and switch to gas. The wood choice really makes the most difference in smoke flavor... Red/white Oak, hickory, pecan etc.

http://www.thesmokering.com/index.ph...g/?task=browse
      Eric,

That's an interesting point about heat control, especially since I'll be in WI and I know I will want to fire up the smoker when it is zero degrees! LOL

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
      Why would you want to "Smoke" your own meat when you will be able to ENJOY that "World Famous Wisconsin BBQ"???
      I am have yet to discover what the WI local food delicacy might be. Looking forward to trying all kinds of new places.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I have the green egg smoker and I love it. It's versatile and can be used as a searing grill and makes awesome pizza with the pizza stone accessory.

http://www.biggreenegg.com
      Paul Viramontes

Fun topic.

I started out with a cheap Webber electric bullet smoker. Worked...meh...too small for a full rack of ribs, too small for a whole brisket, PITA to open and add wood chunks to for smoke.

Graduated to a "COS" (Cheap offset smoker) of the kind you see at Lowes or Home Depot (see below). Better. Meant to run on charcoal (lump or briquet) augmented with wood chunks for additional smoke flavor.

Name:  char-griller.jpg
Views: 4016
Size:  36.0 KB

The problem with these is heat control. The material is thin and there are gaps all over. Makes for an inconsistent temp across the cooking chamber and odd temp fluctuations when the wind kicks up. Also, because the material is thin there is little thermal mass to mitigate fluctuations caused by peaks and valleys in heat output from the fire and they rust and burn through quickly. There is a lot of info on the web for "mods" to these to make them work better. I did them all to make the most of it. In the end, the cooker lasted 3yrs and never had good even temps across the chamber.

Now I have a "stick burner". Still an offset, but in this case wrought of 1/4" steel, with an appropriately sized firebox (there's a volume ratio and I forget what it is off the top of my head) and it's a reverse flow design.

Name:  ReverseFlowHorizontalSmoker-Cooker_cropped.bmp
Views: 4298
Size:  266.2 KB

Name:  lang36_patio_finihsed_web.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  90.2 KB

What that does is insulate the cook chamber from direct heat from the fire box. There is some radiant from the baffle but it's darned even (5deg delta from left to right). The heavier steel makes for a system that is much more resistant to fluctuations in fuel, opening to check (which you shouldn't do much) and to wind and outside air temp. The product that comes out of it stellar, but it is work. You have to have a wood pile. You have to split the wood and tend the fire for the duration of the cook (14-16hrs for brisket). I like the process though.

Now, to the options that exist:

Cheap electrics - Some do an ok job. Nearly all are too small to cook for a crowd and they are a PITA to load, unload and add chunks for smoke.
      Cabinet electrics - They look a bit like a small refrigerator. Some of these are quite good. Most have a wood chunk tray that slides out. Avoid "LMH" controllers though and look for quality door seals. Think though about the dimensions of the meat you'll be cooking and the quantity. Sucks to have to split racks or briskets if you are feeding a crowd.
      Cheap offsets - Ok as a starter to find out if you want to spend the time doing this now and then. Find the mods and do them and it will help a lot. Plan to spend $300-$400. Not cheap for an experiment that you know you'll replace soon if you get into it.
      Stick burners/charcoal hybrid Offset - Meant to run on wood, or with a "lump basket" that controls the rate of burn of a big metal basket of lump charcoal. There are a couple of rather decent ones in the $1k range available via big box retail. Oklahoma Joe is one that comes to mind. Heavier steel, good chamber seal, well constructed. Smaller BTO shops will do better quality although a higher price. Still though a pure offset so the temp near the firebox will be higher than on the exhaust side. That can be beneficial in some cases if you are cooking a variety of things.
      Cabinet Gravity Feed - These are pretty popular with competition cookers due to their space efficiency and stellar temp control. Essentially about the size of an small to medium fridge of double wall construction with a heavy insulation between the two layers of heavy steel. They have a hopper that holds briquets which gravity feeds to the firebox. They work fantastic, but are bloody expensive.
      RF Offset - If you don't like to tinker and tend the process, skip this. But if you do, the rewards are high. Super efficient combustion gives a very clean, light smoke. Heavy steel provides good thermal mass, even chamber temps, high volume chamber. Again, the drawbacks here are the amount of work during the cook.
      Pellet Cookers - Get one thing out of the way from the jump. Avoid any pellet cooker with an "LMH" controller. There are two ways these are calibrated depending on the mfr:
      A) Calibrated to a burn rate based on a specific pellet and fed at a volume to match that rate. Buy pellets from a different vendor and that is thrown off.
      B) Calibrated to a temp control that has only three settings. "medium" may give you 225 mid-day but at 5am when you start that brisket, maybe not and if the wind comes up?

So, only look at the models with actual temperature settings. I've read that the keypad operated tend to be better and more robust than the rheostat operated. Some will even run hot enough to grille on, but that uses a LOT of rather expensive pellets. Some of the cheaper models are made of pretty light material. They'll leak, use more fuel, won't last as long and give differential temps across the cooking chamber. Favor heavier steel. I have had some great BBQ that has come out of pellet cookers. The set & forget aspect is kinda awesome too. There are times when I wish I could do so. One common complaint though about the food that comes out of them is related to the intensity (or lack of) of the smoke flavor. The pellets are super dry and super clean and they burn very hot. Hence, not a ton of smoke and less smoke flavor than when burning wood or wood chunks over charcoal. Something to consider if you like a certain intensity of smoke flavor. Not sure if there are hacks available to address this issue...I'd be inclined to think there are. Another concern is that of the longevity of the units. You have an electronic controller, an electric motor that drives the pellet feed auger, the bearings on both ends of the auger, an igniter in the burn cup and at least one thermocouple. That to me is a lot of potentially fragile bits that might go bad especially given that this is a thing that usually lives on your back patio (and yours is going to be in WI, not CA). I'd plan on making room in that big garage to store your smoker in the winter. Trager has been around a while and I suspect they will remain so, but for the smaller companies, I worry that 5yrs down the road you may not be able to get replacement parts if one of those goes bad and the company has Keislered.

Kamodo Cookers - The only one of these that I have any experience with is the Big Green egg. There are a bunch of similar looking offerings on the market now at a fraction of the cost.....given that it's a giant ceramic casting, I'm guessing a fraction of quality as well. They work FANTASTIC. Massively efficient, amazing temp control excellent product comes out of them too. Only metal is in the hinges and vents and that is quite robust. Only downside is the weight makes them problematic to move if you think you might and the smaller ones can be a bit cramped for space. Huge community around them with hacks and recipes and uses far beyond the original intent.

Ok....that was a bit of a novel.

Questions?
      Last edited by Damn True; 04-16-2014 at 07:04 PM.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

The big green egg is really expensive but probably the best item ever invented for cooking dead animals!!! The ceramic is outstanding in heat control.. You can cold smoke cheese at 135 or cook pizza at 700deg... If I had the cash to blow I would get the XL tomorrow....

Heat control... I do most of my smoking during winter months, except for events.. On my old cookers I have tried lining the cooker with firebricks , sand, concrete...all sort of things to maintain heat... But no matter what I did the heat kept rising and exiting the cooker...

I like to cook really low as I believe you have less meat loss... If you keep it under 230 deg you will have at least 70% of your raw weight left and it is better grub... If you subscribe to that and target 215 degrees and it's 30 or 40 degrees ambient air it's takes a lot of work(paying attention) to maintain the temp...

All that work gets in the way of my beverage consumption so I didn't have a choice, I had to get a heavier wall cooker.. I now have a much higher quality of life... Well so to speak...
      Eric

67-GTO project in process
      Charlotte, NC

Andrew, there are 3-4 guys on CC with BGE's as well. If so inclined I'd inquire about them in the BBQ thread over there.
      True T.

My blog

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      I thought BBQ was throwing some meat on an open flame then heavily painting it with Safeway brand BBQ sauce till it burns then you scrap away the charred shell ? ummm yummy
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

A friend of mine and myself once (several years ago) cooked at the Memphis in May cookoff. I've always said the best cookers were old propane tanks converted to a cooker. If a propane tank isn't available, you can build one out of thick walled pipe and they have ends that weld on as well. You can then make it the way you want, and it will last forever. We used the propane tank. Worked like a champ.

Carl Wilson

This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I don't have much to add, as it's already been said (mostly by DamnTrue.... haha) I've used use a 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain ("WSM") for about two years now. It's a fantastic (charcoal) smoker and highly regarded by the guys on the smoking forum I belong to. When it 'dies', I'll be buying something that has more square footage though. The lower rack is difficult to access which is also a drawback. If you're new to smoking, you may wonder why you'd need so much grate area, but once you start your new hobby, you'll quickly realize that you're not just smoking a pork butt or a brisket. There are countless other smoked "snacks" that take up a lot of real estate on the grill. A vertical type unit would be the easiest as the rack are much more accessible than the WSM like I've got.

Since we're all DIY type guys here (I'm safely assuming?), something like >> THIS << could be built for a couple hundred dollars. A fraction of the price of anything currently on the market in any size.

Regarding the smoking forum I'm on, it's >> BBQ Brethren <<.

Bob
      (hope nobody gets mad at me for posting links since I'm a noob here.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
      This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I don't have much to add, as it's already been said (mostly by DamnTrue.... haha) I've used use a 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain ("WSM") for about two years now. It's a fantastic (charcoal) smoker and highly regarded by the guys on the smoking forum I belong to. When it 'dies', I'll be buying something that has more square footage though. The lower rack is difficult to access which is also a drawback. If you're new to smoking, you may wonder why you'd need so much grate area, but once you start your new hobby, you'll quickly realize that you're not just smoking a pork butt or a brisket. There are countless other smoked "snacks" that take up a lot of real estate on the grill. A vertical type unit would be the easiest as the rack are much more accessible than the WSM like I've got.

Since we're all DIY type guys here (I'm safely assuming?), something like >> THIS << could be built for a couple hundred dollars. A fraction of the price of anything currently on the market in any size.

Regarding the smoking forum I'm on, it's >> BBQ Brethren <<.

Bob
      (hope nobody gets mad at me for posting links since I'm a noob here.)
      I'm a Brethren member as well.

You make a good point about size. More often than not you are smoking one brisket or a butt for a few people. But those occasions when you have a crowd it sure comes in handy to have a decent sized cooker. My Lang is their smallest at 36" with two racks. It'll hold 75-80lbs of butts or about 65lbs of briskets or 14-15 racks of ribs at once.
      True T.

My blog

Aahh cool, I hadn't seen you on the Brethren site, it's been a while. They're a great bunch of folks and extremely willing to help out noobs like me.
      Your Lang is great, and one of the most respected names in smokers. You can cook a lot of Atomic Buffalo Turds on one of those. ;)

I've not done that. I did create the Italian BBQ Fatty though:

Name:  10133C0E-990C-4F16-BE1F-27D9CB676587-1771-000001EBE02AAC68_zps162daf0a.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  107.1 KB
      True T.

My blog

I remember that photo, and think I may have even commented on it.
      Either way, it was one of the first fatty pictures I had seen and was one of the more inspirational fatties I had seen. "Smoking a fatty" certainly brings on a whole new meaning on that site. ha ha ha.....

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com