Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Front Bumper Thoughts

I am wondering how many people have swapped out or modified the bumpers of their cars?

My dad presented what might be a way for me to get an older datsun, an 82 280zx. Yeah it is newer than my GM A-body back burner project, but it was a reliable car for my uncle.

I am reading that the bumpers were about 300 pounds for the front and rear. I think some bent tube and some analysis could make me a much lighter, but still "rather" safe bumper. The car was designed around a 5 mph crash, so that shouldn't be hard. If I get real concerned I could ask the simulation experts at work about it.

I mean it is supposed to act as a crush structure, so you repair that and some body panels then go on your way again.

Has anyone given this thought?

They were designed for no damage at 5 mph. The standard has been relaxed and is more focused on occupant protection now.

It really depends on how much you want to protect the sheet metal on the car and the occupants inside. I am going to lighten my bumpers and risk the body damage on my Nova. There is still a lot of crumple zone left to protect me.

Not sure if you can change the 280ZX and still look right. I didn't think they looked all that bad as they were. And a quick google search tells me that both bumpers weighed in at under 100 lbs for the car? Not too bad given the era, it sounds to me.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

After I posted, I mentioned it to a coworker who said it was the 5mph with no damage.

The 280ZX doesn't look bad, but it could use some clean up overall like most cars. The 240Z bumpers can be mounted on the 280ZX, and the weights were gathered from a quick forum search when I was curious about the car weight.

I was thinking a quick tubular structure under the 240Z-like bumper would add some strength.

I give this a LOT of thought... daily!

I have designed and made bumpers that are composite. They are focused on restyling the look of cars and reducing weight. I often see a bumper's job of safety take a backseat to style and weight reduction. For most older cars, that's not all that bad considering they are for track use and typically have a great amount of bracing in the front end.

In the spirit of safety, foam inserts could be designed to help impact. For aftermarket production, that could increase the customer's cost which is typically something that most getting custom bumpers done are sensitive to.

I live in the offroad community as well and see the other side of this argument as well: Offroad bumpers are going away from tube and using a lot more plate (Like ARB style bumpers). Their focus is strength at the sacrifice of style (some more than others) and weight. Sometimes, these bumpers will add hundreds of pounds more to the vehicle.

Yeah I figured most do the bumper for a restyling effort, and I would be doing similar. The problem is that I want a little safety in the process as well. Particularly because I plan on daily driving the car if I get it. Besides foam, I know that there are several energy absorption materials available. Our SAE team used aluminum honeycomb for example as the impact attenuator on the FSAE car, and that isn't cheap.

The offroad community does like solid bumpers, much like many farmers did where I grew up.

I designed and built this bumper/airdam for my truck. It is made out of steel.

Composite or fiberglass would be nice to cut some weight but, living out in the country as I do, I have to take into account the very likely possibility that I will have a close encounter with a racoon, possum or some other animal that wanders into the path of the truck. 10ga steel will most likely not see an impact if one happens.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

I can understand the animal impact. I would be accepting the bumper damage and body damage on a car.

I grew up on a farm, and have seen deer hit semi bodies. As well as a classmate hit a moose at 55 with a honda pilot, and those results weren't pretty.

Im moding my Caprice bumpers, tucking and doing away with or at least collapsing the 5mph bumper mounts. My Monza has HUGE amount of aluminum under the endura nose, thinking of recycling and redoing it in tubing of sorts and that would allow me more room for my intercooler.

Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com