Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: turbo

Country Flag: United States

turbo

Hey guys im building a 67 mustang, and I was thinking about building a turbo 331 for it. Do you think I could do it 'right' for around 5 grand? Do you think it would be too much for circuit racing or autox? Or is more of a drag racing kind of thing? Any ideas/ experience?

1967 mustang coupe, bilstein shocks, maier racing leaf springs and 600 lb front springs. Holley 670 cfm carb and edelbrock performer rpm air gap. I have done a lot to it and and have a lot to do.

turbo

Which parts are you doing yourself? Are you wanting a complete turbo system and complete engine for 5k? What's your horsepower goal?

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I think the price will somewhat be dictated on turbo brand/origin and if going fuel injection
      ie Garret
      Precision budget usa
      Master power(brazilian)
      Chinese(ebay)

if you're going fuel injection I have a complete fuel delivery setup forsale
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

I was planning on going through racing junk/ eBay to try to find a name brand kit. I was thinking about getting a pony down turbo kit, then buying a turbonetics turbo something like 76mm, I heard pony downs turbos were really bad. Do you think I would need to swap anything else if I got this kit? as far as the fuel injection type no idea I was thinking about just getting a fox 5.0 clean up the block and I'm 95% sure I am going to go with forged internals, do you think the fox block can withstand a power range within 550 -630 crank hp depending on boost? Sorry guys bare with me just want to assort my project before I waste any money. Which is why turbo'ing seems like a good root to take but will it be 'too much power', for like I said earlier an autocross/ circuit car? Come to think of it I'm not sure if there's any 'old' cars that circuit race that are turbocharged. Thanks guys
      1967 mustang coupe, bilstein shocks, maier racing leaf springs and 600 lb front springs. Holley 670 cfm carb and edelbrock performer rpm air gap. I have done a lot to it and and have a lot to do.

turbo

You'll need bigger injectors, a fuel pump and system possibly, along with all the turbo components, inter cooler etc. if you score a kit for around 2k, plus a $900+ turbo, plus the other mods like forged internals and machine work will push you over the 5k mark no doubt.
      Your horsepower goal is mild, but depending on the autocrosses you go to, a single 76 might be a little too big and spool up too slow.
      There are a few guys we run with that are turbocharged, including our 81 Trans Am. We have 1040hp to the rear tires at full boost but tone it down for autocross to about 700. The 67 mustangs are lighter weight though and will spin the tires easier than our TA though.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Here's my $.02. Don't waste your money on forged cranks/h-beam rods if you are using a factory late model roller production block. The block is the weakest link, not the rotating assembly. If you can find an economical turbo kit to fit your needs, then do so. I would stay clear of ANY Chinese turbo/bov/wastegate. It's not a question IF they will fail, but WHEN will they fail. I sell Borg Warner S475 cast wheel turbos for $675 shipped all day. That turbo is capable of producing 1050HP. Almost double what the factory block can take. I've used bone stock 93 cobra engines, added a T Trim from Vortech and made 440HP at a modest 15psi. When I say stock, I'm referring to all the major components. Obviously fuel pump, regulator, and injectors need to be upgraded.

You can do it for under $ 5,000. I did, but mine is carbureted. Checkout the Turboforums. I went with a Master Power t-70 on 9 psi. I have a .68 exhaust housing which is on the smaller side. I see 9 psi by 3,000 rpm and is a torque monster.
      70 Cougar
      Aces Kill shot efi
      Turbocharged 5.0 430hp 488tq
      Tremec 3550
      13" Cobra brakes
      Unisteer Manual rack

I heard it is a major pain in the ass to fabricate can anyone prove this, p.s. I'd probably do 90% of it myself I don't know how to weld and need to learn also.

$1900 Dart block, factory crank, a set of eagle h beams ,regular forged pistons, nice Comp 268h cam. Pretty much any decent head.
      As for bashing eBay turbos I have seen several last well over 10k miles, and many many track days. And only failed because of trash in oil feed line.
      I intend to rag a couple of eBay gt2871r turbos.
      I see so many people use them with no issues. As for me I prefer Turbosmart accessories. As for injectors spend big money, buy Injector Dynamics.

Just a thought.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Country Flag: Canada
      I turbo charged my 68. Used some stock manifold, ported them and welded some elbows on.

Here are some pics, hope it helps.Name:  P1010330 (Copy).JPG
Views: 209
Size:  139.9 KBName:  P1010327 (Copy).JPG
Views: 219
Size:  125.7 KBName:  2012-02-10 14.16.27 (Copy).jpg
Views: 215
Size:  118.9 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com