Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

What exhaust pipe and header diameter for GMPP LS9 engine?

Hi all,

Can someone help me calculate the diameter required for dual exhaust pipes and headers for a GMPP LS9?

What exhaust pipe and header diameter for GMPP LS9 engine?

Maybe there is a mathematical equation for the perfect size, length, and backpressure for maximum horsepower, but what are you doing with the car? If the engine is stock you can use 1.875" headers, and a dual 3" exhaust. If you plan on upgrading the engine to 750+hp then 2" would probably be better.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

You can mathematically calculate the flow requirements of an exhaust system based on the total mass flow of the system (mass of the ingested air plus of the fuel), but it works out to about 2.2 cfm per engine horsepower. For a straight piece of round pipe, each square inch of cross-sectional area flows about 115cfm. So it's a matter of working forward from there. Or...... the Rule of Thumb for dual-exhaust: 2" = 289 max HP. 2 1/4" = 371 max HP. 2 1/2" = 463 max HP. 2 3/4" 566 max HP, etc.
      David H. Amrine
      (USMC Retired)

Boys drive fast on the street. But MEN prove how fast they are at the Track.

I was reading a thread by Mark Steilow regarding his latest build. He has done a lot of engine dyno testing with Thompson automotive on his particular combo, which is a LS9 on steroids. He has a 427ci engine but uses the LS9 forced induction package. Anyway....to make a long story short, they found that the engine is not particularly responsive to the exhaust. Hence, he runs 1 7/8" shorty headers and 3" exhaust. This is on an engine that makes 700+ HP...or more...I just don't recall...safe to say more than a stock LS9...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Dual 3" exhaust with straight thru Magnaflow mufflers. It will be loud!
      Conrad
      Original owner '84 Grand National. CAS V1 (big) front-mount intercooler, Comp roller hyd cam, Champion Al intake/heads, T66 turbo, 3.5" custom cat-back exhaust, RideTech TruTurn front & DSE rear swaybars/ctrl arms, Ridetech 3-way coilovers, Baer 6P 14/13. FAST w/TouchScreen & GM Flex Fuel sensor, 120 lb injectors, Ricks SS tank, Aeromotive Eliminator pump.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com