Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

200-4R Secondary Governor Spring Tech

I thought I would share this with you all b/c it took me forver to find any information on this topic online

That being said...ever since this trans was put back into the car from the broken forward drum/input shaft disaster it does not shift down into first when coming to a complete stop. It will take off in second unless I manually put it into first. I spoke with the trans builder and he thinks there is some dirt or debris in the governor that is not allowing it to go into first at a complete stop.

So naturally I got a second and third opinion and was guided to see if the governor has the secondary spring in it. This spring is normally removed in any trans that has a higher line pressure set up. So I decided to take out the governor and what do you know.....the secondary spring is already gone.

**Tech Tip: In a 200r-4 the secondary governor spring is the one that is held in by the plastic retainer. See the pic below.**

Fluid drained and the pan is removed. I also took out the filter for a better picture.

This is where the governor is located. It is in the rear of the trans and is held in by four (4) 13mm bolts.

Here is the Governor....

The secondary governor spring is the one held in by the plastic retainer. The spring is removed from this governor.

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

the inside of a auto tranny is one of the most perplexing things ive seen. how in the world do they work.

So I took the car to the trans shop after cleaning the governor did not fix the issue. Remember that the issues was that the trans would not shift into first upon coming to a complete stop.

The trans builder found that the throttle valve was worn so they replaced that and now it shifts great!!

Here is that the 200-4r throttle valve looks like:

Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

good info doug. so did they say what causes it to wear that bad.
      Dale Hayes
      87 turbo t
      turbonetics t60, pet stock location intercooler, ride tech coilovers, rjc exhaust, 60lb injectors with tt chip, ported heads and intake, ported tb, baer brakes, roh 17 inch wheels....now need to finish paint and get it put back together.

That plunger moves with in sync with the throttle so they just wear out over time.

I would like to add that a sonnax tv spring(or any 2.1" spring that has the same characteristics as the tv spring)for the tv valve is a good preventative measure to get the trans to come back to first in a high psi situation(over 100psi at idle with no tv pull). You can see the original on the bottom and the new "custom" piece on top. Yeah, I'm low budget. The top has a slightly thicker and stiffer tension. I got it at my local Ace hardware and cut it to 2.1".

I would also "pin" that governor spring to prevent its exit upon a sudden stop of the governor. (Think sudden stop with a burnout)
      You will need an 8-32 nylon screw and tap/drill to make the weight hole for the screw. I picked these up on the same hardware store visit.

Not my pic but you get the idea.

Texas is the only state that could become its own country.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com