Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

2nd gen Firebird wheel fitment

I have 74 Firebird and I'm trying to find some wheels will these sizes work 18x8.5 5-120 +35mm and a 18x9.5 + 40mm?

Those wheels wouldn't fit without adapters. Too much positive offset. You'd want to look for something around 0 offset if you don't want to run adapters.
      73 Camaro Type LT

Country Flag: United States
      I too have a 2nd gen TA and am wanting to go with a 18x9-9.5" to fit some 275 rubber all the way around with either a 40 or 45 profile. I am having trouble finding the shopes that sell a wheel that can fit. Most of the online places that have wheels in inventory, not custom and $$$, have the 20+ mm offsets.

What are the thoughts here about autoX'ing with adapters? The pro's are a widened selection of available wheels. One con is the added expense of the adapter, what other draw backs are there?

Thanks!

2nd gen Firebird wheel fitment

We've autocrossed and road raced with adapters. As long as they're good quality you should be fine. If there is any high speed vibration then it'd be time to figure out a different solution ;)

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

US Mags "Bandit" wheels look like big Pontiac Rally II wheels. Only an 8mm or so offset. Reasonable price on the cast versions. The US made cast ones are more pricey. Maybe look into those.

The US Mags are ok. I was looking for something in a mesh or multi spoke like the TSW valencia until I get around to getting some custom wheels.

I don't mind using adapters!

Quote Originally Posted by Project77 View Post
      US Mags "Bandit" wheels look like big Pontiac Rally II wheels. Only an 8mm or so offset. Reasonable price on the cast versions. The US made cast ones are more pricey. Maybe look into those.
      I agree that the price for those wheels is good. That's not the style I'm looking for though, or the Year One 17x9 snowflakes. I have original 15 x 8 snowflakes running 245/60 BFG Radial TA tires right now and I want to get more grip and I'm coming to the conclusion that I want an 18" wheel to stay around 27" over all diameter- with 3.23 gears I run at 3100rpm down the hwy at 70mph.

I style that is capturing my attention are the XXR 962 and Bremmer Kraft BR07 and Enkei M52. I seem to be drawn to a 5-6 thin spoke wheel with a deep dish in either gold or gun metal to go with the gold color of the TA.
      1978 Pontiac Trans Am Y88-R,
      UMI Performace, LS3/T56 Holley EFI

Dale , do you care to share what brands of Adapters are considered "Quality" enough to autocross and race with?? Thanks Bud !

On a side note .... Dale , I had a good time Chattin with you at the Race Expo in St. Charles... I loved checkin out your Full-Frame for second gens !!

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      We've autocrossed and road raced with adapters. As long as they're good quality you should be fine. If there is any high speed vibration then it'd be time to figure out a different solution ;)

-Dale
      A link to some pictures of my Firebirds and other toys

http://community.webshots.com/user/ponchoman69

I have a set of wheels that are 18x8.5 and 9.5 that are 35mm that I spec'd for my Firebird to run with adapters. That should give you enough offset to run an adapter and a little dish. Where are you located? I changed my mind and I am going to run 19s
      Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by srh3trinity View Post
      I have a set of wheels that are 18x8.5 and 9.5 that are 35mm that I spec'd for my Firebird to run with adapters. That should give you enough offset to run an adapter and a little dish. Where are you located? I changed my mind and I am going to run 19s
      I am in Fort Worth, TX. Can you post a picture or PM me with some pictures of what you have? What size adapter are you running? and what tires?
      1978 Pontiac Trans Am Y88-R,
      UMI Performace, LS3/T56 Holley EFI

Pm sent
      Stephen

Can you pm me some pic's, in New Orleans!

You can't just bolt these wheels onto your Bird- the bolt pattern doesn't match our 5 x 120.65mm bolt pattern, and the mismatch can cause the wheel studs to fail. But others have redrilled 5 x 120mm wheels to have a 5 x 120.65mm pattern. You'll also need spacers to make these wheels work.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com