Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Transmission Swap

Car:1974 Chevelle
      Engine: Gen 1 350 SB.
      Tranny: TH350

The car is currently an automatic column shift car with a bench seat. I plan to install buckets and switch to a manual transmission. Can anyone tell me exactly what I would need to do a complete swap. I am thinking of a 5 or 6 speed. American Powertrain or Tremec.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Transmission Swap

American Powertrain can help you out with that, or were a dealer for them. If you want to keep stock style mechanical linkage you can, but I recommend going to hydraulics.
      You'll need the AP hydraulics kit with master and slave cylinders, shifter, pigtails and such, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate (clutch will be different from 5 to 6 speed), bell housing (for the 5 speed you can find a used original 4 speed one), crossmember, driveshaft or yoke... I may be forgetting a thing or two but that's the majority.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Thanks Dale. I am going to check out your site now!

Transmission Swap

Cool. Our site doesn't have a lot to offer for transmissions but there's plenty of other cool stuff going on ;)
      SchwartzPerformance

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Will I need a different shift linkage if I swap to a 700R4 from a TH350?

Guess no one has done this swap.

Transmission Swap

I think the linkage should work but the detents in the shifter will be different of course.
      SchwartzPerformance

And you will need a TV cable. This tells the 700r4 when and how to shift. That's putting it in layman's terms. Someone can go into more detail.

If you can afford to do the 5-6 speed swap, you'll be better off. I went from 350 to 700r4 and simply was not satisfied. I swapped the 700r4 for a tko600 in my Chevelle and will never go automatic again....ever.

+1 for manual - hurst driveline has been recommended also for the manual set ups.

Lucked out on an awesome engine and transmission deal back in early summer. It came with a Jegs 450HP street strip tranny with a custom built pro torque converter. The engine was a Tri Star Performance 350HP unit, but is probably a little more with the additions on it now. I love it, but still need another gear or two. It is getting better mileage than my last setup and double the HP I am sure. I would love to go with a 5 or 6 speed tremec or something. I am just waiting to find a money tree...

Good luck with that whole money tree thing....lol
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

I need it.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com