Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

What Elecric fuel pump should I buy?

I'm building a fuel system for to support a carbureted 427 stroker that has been dyno'd at 560 hp. I'm thinking 50 gph should be enough (correct me if I am wrong). there are a lot of choices out there as far as electric fuel pumps go, just curious if any of you had and experience based opinions on what pumps would be best for this application.
      thanks.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Country Flag: United States

Id go with the Holley blue pump not the red. Summit has a kit that includes a regulator too.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I'm useing a holley black pump on my 470 making 550 hp, I also have a holley blue as a backup, it was for my old nitrous setup that I sold and figured that it was a good pump just a little loud so its a good backup part. Either of these pumps can support your setup. A Holley red isn't going to cut it at WOT.

I've used that style of pump in the past (I had the red one). Generally worked OK but crazy loud. I ended up replacing it just to get something that didn't annoy me as much as that Holley pump did.

are the holley black or blue any quieter? hows the reliability?
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Holley HP 150 is a great pump & quitter than the rest.
      SHAKER TUNED SOLUTIONS

The Holley black pump I have is about 10 yrs old, never rebuilt, but The car isn't a daily driver. The blue was used only at the track with my nitrous system so i couldn't give an accurate account about running time on it.

All the Holley red, blue, black pumps are rotor/vane pumps. They will be really noisy. I'm not a fan of them for other reasons that I won't disclose. If you want a pump that will dead head I would look at the Holley 12-125 or 12-150. Gerotor design is much quieter. Another option if running a return style fuel system is the fuelab prodigy pump. Excellent product.

I would never consider anything except an in-tank pump. No worries about vapor lock and they are more reliable. You could modify just about any sending unit to hold a pump
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I have a aeromoive and it is 100 times better than the holley red blue or black.

BUT, i am considering to switch to the new holley, 105 or 140 version (i have 700+ HP N/A)

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...1400/overview/

Brand:Holley
      Manufacturer's Part Number:12-1400
      Part Type:fuel pumps, Electric External
      Product Line:Holley Dominator Billet Fuel Pumps
      Summit Racing Part Number:HLY-12-1400

UPC:090127671092
      Free Flow Rate:105 gph
      Maximum Pressure (psi):80 psi
      Inlet Size:-10 AN O-ring
      Inlet Quantity:One
      Inlet Attachment:Female threads
      Outlet Size:-10 AN O-ring
      Outlet Quantity:One
      Outlet Attachment:Female threads
      Quantity:Sold individually.
      Notes:Maximum draw is 23 amps.
      In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.
      These Holley Dominator billet fuel pumps feature a patent-pending twin-pump design. It allows you to use one pump for cruising and both pumps when you activate the nitrous switch or start building boost. By staging the second pump, you eliminate the unnecessary recirculation and heating of extra fuel, which can lead to poor performance and hot fuel issues. They can also be wired for full-time duty to get the maximum performance and are proven with an 18 V compatibility at pressures of up to 80 psi. At only 5.1 lbs., they weigh half a pound less than other 1,000 hp pumps, and yet they have twice the features.

Features include:

* Billet aluminum construction with anodized finish
      * -10 AN O-ring inlet/outlet for high flow and superior sealing
      * Excellent for use with carburetor or EFI applications
      * Compact for easy installation on frame rails or other tight spaces
      * Proven durability beyond 3,000 hours in gasoline or diesel fuels
      * Fully sealed, can be submersed if necessary

Anyone experience yet?

id go with intank if you can swing it

I Have liftpump and fuel surge tank avail if you go with inline Epump
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

I've ran a holley blue and haven't had a problem with the pump, except for it being noisy. I bought a Jegs "Quiet Flow" to try to alleviate the buzzing. Anndddd... The QF pump is underwhelming. It still buzzes, maybe a slightly less than the blue. One advantage is the regulator is built into the pump. It makes for a cleaner engine bay.

Landon

67' Camaro

My Build Thread

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com