Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 71RS/SS396 View Post
      ... I've seen more than 1 broken crank from them, the fluid can turn to a solid mass inside which will result in a broken crank.
      So we've heard from Scat now Fluidampr:

"Silicone fluid is a very good damping medium because it is relatively unaffected by temperature changes. It provides consistent damping in both winter and summer. The fluid will not deteriorate if the Fluidampr/Streetdampr is not used for a period of time."

and,

"The silicone fluid in the damper will deliver consistent performance over the entire range of operating temperatures in any operating environment that the damper will encounter."

So, where is the truth, Scat, Fluidampr? If the Fluidampr is truly a problem what is the failure rate? So far all the comments seem to be anecdotal. I'm not defending either one but I'd sure like more real data to base a decision on.
      -Bob (66 Nova)

....I've seen more than 1 broken crank from them, the fluid can turn to a solid mass inside which will result in a broken crank.
      For what it's worth, I have heard the same thing from a person that I respect and knows what he is talking about.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

So how do we determine which damper to use? I have both style dampers and now I am unsure which to use on my new 383 build. The more this thread goes on the more curious I am about Motiv8r.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Steve, I wouldn't use the Fluidamper, they were originally conceived for low rpm diesel engines and imo are not good for gas engines. I've seen more than 1 broken crank from them, the fluid can turn to a solid mass inside which will result in a broken crank.
      I found this on Fluidamper's web site:

Why Does Fluidampr Use Silicone?

The engineers at Vibratech TVD, the parent company of Fluidampr and inventor of the viscous torsional vibration damper, have perfected the use of silicone for over 65 years. Without looking, some assume the fluid in a Fluidampr should be like motor oil or hydraulic shock fluid because that’s what is commonly used in other fluid dampening devices. This leads some to believe that our silicone turns to a gel over time after cutting a used one open. However, this is torsional vibration from internal combustion we’re dealing with. The silicone Fluidampr uses is 45,000 times more viscous than 30W motor oil!

Truth is, it’s a gel when we precisely fill the damper housing on the assembly line and it needs to be a gel to do its job. Fluidampr performance dampers and Vibratech TVD heavy duty dampers are rated to -40oF. They can be found protecting engines in the frigid cold of the Alaskan oil fields, to the non-stop abuse of heavy construction equipment, to the blistering heat of the race track. Viscous engine dampers are the preferred choice for premium engine builders and are stock equipment in supercars such as the Audi R8 and Lamborghini Gallardo.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Steve (TheJDMAn) sent me an email regarding this thread. My name is Paul Bennett and I work for Fluidampr.

Thank you for contacting Fluidampr Steve, I browsed through the protouring.com thread regarding harmonic dampers that you mentioned. I will try to answer everything from your email and from the thread I seen.

-We get asked time to time about the “Scat damper recommendation”. My guess is they would rather sell their own elastomeric dampers vs. supporting a superior viscous damper. Saying that Fluidampr is to blame for broken crankshafts is completely false. It is much easier to put the blame on the damper manufacturer when a cheap offshore crankshaft breaks vs. identifying the true root cause and warrantying the crankshaft. We have never been notified or have seen any of these so called “Failures” which leads me to believe it is more false information, it is always someone who heard from someone. Viscous technology is currently coming STANDARD on such powerhouse cars as the Lamborghini Gallardo, Ford GT40, Audi R8, McLaren and the new Ferrari. It is also seen on 95%+ all heavy duty diesel engines including class 8, agriculture, locomotives, military tanks and many more industrial applications. This is proven technology with over 65 years of experience, we know dampers.

-71RS, you are correct that viscous damper technology was originally designed for low RPM running diesel engines, in 1946 actually. But you are completely wrong in saying they are not meant for gas engines. Viscous dampers have been used on many gas engines for the last 30 years with great success. Our Fluidampr lineup currently fits around 6,500 gas powered vehicles. During our many years we have done extensive research, testing and dyno runs on many makes and models to ensure the product we produce, here in the USA. And although through confidentiality I cannot share names we are an OEM and military supplier and we also supply many top engine builders.

Any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com