Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1970 Chevelle SS Project???

I have came across a couple of Chevelle project cars for sale and was not quite sure of the value. I am a Mustang guy but have a soft spot for these cars because my Father had one. One is a 1970 SS 396 car auto pretty complete other than engine and trans missing but a lot of rust around the rear window floors and frame look ok. The other is a 1972 SS 396/402 car that is pretty solid and was purchased at the local Chevy dealer the engine and trans are in this one. I have known about the cars for along time and unless they were cloned in 1980 they appear to be the real deal. I am planning on looking for the build sheets asap. He is wanting 14.500 for both? I know it is hard to tell but any help would be great. Thanks.

Oh yea and they both have 12 bolts in them and disk brakes.

Country Flag: United States
      They rarity of the cars is insignificant if you're going to cut them up and turn them in to corner carvers. If you're going to take them back to stock and show them, they don't look too for gone. That said, I think you can do much better than $14k. For that money you should be able to buy a nice driver and enjoy it while you fix it up.

I have a soft spot for these cars as well. My grandfather had two chevelles when I was a kid. I'll own one some day in the not too distant future.

Well the plan was to mat be sale one to help fund the other. And that was 14.5 for both just to be clear. Thanks for the input I need as much help as I can get on these cars!

Planit Oahu, Hawaii if you don't belive me check shipping prices
      I know that they could be worth about 35 if done correctly.
      but these cars are a long ways from that point, like about 35-40 investment, not trying to upset anyone but if someone offers anything over 5 I would take it and run!
      both of them look like they have been parts cars for other projects!

Unless you can find the build sheet or the Cowl tag there is no way to verify the SS is a real SS car. Being as that the original engine/trans is gone its value goes down to an almost stock Chevelle value. If the motor and trans are original to the '72 it may turn out to be a Heavy Chevy. It was an additional package for those years. The cars dont look like they are in the best condition, if you provide more pics we should be alble to provide more of an estimate. The way I see it the owner is asking too much for those cars.

More pics

More pics

Country Flag: Canada
      I know on 70 ss Chevelle that the cowl tag will only tell you if it had a v8 when it left the factory....you need to learn what other options to look for... SS door panels,dash,steering wheel,f41 suspension,fast ratio steering box,12 bolt rearend etc. 1970 SS was only available as a big block car. Find out the date the car was built. GM had a strike in Jan. Some other options were added in April of that year too. Eg. Before April it was only the 350 hp 396 (L34) and the 360hp 454 (LS5)?, in April they added the big dogs 375hp 396 (L78) and 450hp (LS6) knowing this kind of stuff will help with determining which car to keep and which to sell. The only way to have concrete evidence of what the car was from GM is yes a build sheet if you find one in the car look to the top right corner this is where the VIN number is verify it matches the vin take by the windshield now look to the options under all the boxes on the sheet my car is a L34 SS so my sheet says ZL3 SS 396 conversion. Hope some of this info can help you out
      Any questions please feel free to ask me
      [email protected]
      Ryan Austin

1970 Chevelle SS Project???

Great info. It does have a 12 bolt and all the door panels etc have SS trim. The car was white with red interior interesting color combo not sure what strips came on it?? Thought strips were only white and black? I will do some more digging. The cars have been local forever one was even purchased new at the local Chevy dealer still has there tag on the back.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com