Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Headliner

Headliner

1968 Firebird Coupe

My car is at the body shop right now. They would like to install the front and rear windows. My headliner is not in yet. Is it a lot harder to install the headliner with the windows in or should I tell them to wait?

Country Flag: United States
      It's not impossible, but it's easier with the glass out. If you have a shop install the headliner, then it does not matter.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

If you have a cage, then definitely with the windows out.

No cage and it is a brand new to me headliner. LOL I bought it used off of another member after they decided to go a different color. So it is already cut down. That might either help or make it tougher.

I really don't think it would be that difficult, just get a buddy and a six pack to help from the opposite side of the car!

Thanks for all of the comments. I'm going to install the headliner before the glass goes in. I'm going to use the 3M "90" spray glue. I have had the car apart for so long that I'm confused on a couple of things.

1. It looks as if there are five strips of metal where the headliner mounts onto sharp tabs. Two for the front along the top and three for the back. Two go down the side of the rear window and one along the top of the rear window.
      2. The rear three tack strips do not mount with screws like the fronts. The rear clips that I have need to be replaced. Is there any reason why I cannot use plastic push in fasteners? I tried one last night and they hold it very tight.
      3.If the tack strips go down the rear sides of the window how does the sail panel mount in.
      4.I need to order the trim kit to go over all of the tack strips. Classic sells a five piece kit. Has any one used their kit and is it any good?
      5.My bows have three holes to choose from at the roof line. Whats the best way to determine which is the best one?

I'm sure I will have more questions but that's good for now.
      With a little assistance from you guys I will try to do a write up on the install.

Quote Originally Posted by 68400BIRD View Post
      Thanks for all of the comments. I'm going to install the headliner before the glass goes in. I'm going to use the 3M "90" spray glue. I have had the car apart for so long that I'm confused on a couple of things.

1. It looks as if there are five strips of metal where the headliner mounts onto sharp tabs. Two for the front along the top and three for the back. Two go down the side of the rear window and one along the top of the rear window.
      2. The rear three tack strips do not mount with screws like the fronts. The rear clips that I have need to be replaced. Is there any reason why I cannot use plastic push in fasteners? I tried one last night and they hold it very tight. I've seen the guys over team camaros use sheet metal screws. Short ones so they don't punch thru the roof.
      3.If the tack strips go down the rear sides of the window how does the sail panel mount in. Originally there are plastic pockets (for lack of better words) in the metal reinforcements, and the sail panel has slots for snap in pins that snap onto the metal. I've seen people use industrial velco instead.
      4.I need to order the trim kit to go over all of the tack strips. Classic sells a five piece kit. Has any one used their kit and is it any good?
      5.My bows have three holes to choose from at the roof line. Whats the best way to determine which is the best one? Can't help you on that one. I marked the original holes when I removed the bows. You can try and put them on the middle holes. You want to make sure that the distance between the the bows and the roof is the same for all of them.

I'm sure I will have more questions but that's good for now.
      With a little assistance from you guys I will try to do a write up on the install.
      Rob, see my replies in blue.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Thanks Tu

I figured out the sail panels. They have extra material off of the sides to go over the tack strips.
      It would have been easier if the car had all of this installed when I bought it.
      Between not having all of the parts and not being able to take it apart makes it a lot harder. LOL

Another question. Does the mirror bracket go on before or after the headliner? It looks like both would work.

I put all the screws in their respective spots in the roof- dome light, coat hooks, mirror, visors, etc. before taking it to the upholstry shop. It makes it easier to cut the holes & feel where they are. I have not used classic industries for parts, but I have used the OER headliner molding several times without issues. I used short self tapping screws to install the rear tack strips. I tried to install a headliner once but it wasnt tight enough for my liking. Now I just buy the kit and have trim shop install it. I leave the windows out, screws in roof as above, and bring them the visors & sail panels. They charge me $140 & its well worth it from my perspective. I can pretty much install everything else myself except recovering the seats. Scott

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com