Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

NMCA WEST Autocross Fontana, CA, the weekend of October 24-26

Name:  logo_west5.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  35.9 KB

The NMCA autocross in Fontana Ca, is back October 24-25 2014.

I had a blast there with MotiV8r back in 2011 and I hope see you there again this year.

For more info visit http://www.nmcadigital.com/2014_even...a2_ca_preview/

And check out the video from 2011 below.

If you plan to attend or have any questions this is the place to chat about it. Once registration is open I will post a link in this thread.
      Last edited by Larry Callahan; 02-10-2014 at 05:51 PM.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Country Flag: United States

NMCA Hotchkis Autocross Recap 2014

NMCA West Event Series
      Auto Club Dragway Fontana, CA
      March 29-30, 2014

Name:  Hotchkis NMCA West Autocross 2014 Event Flyer.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  260.6 KB

NMCA Nationals- The place to be if:
      1. You want A LOT of autocross runs
      2. You want a BIG track
      3. You want a FAST track
      4. You need a “Shakedown” Track

Though this might be considered a much smaller scale event compared to most other west coast events, this event is on my list for next year. With the release of my C10 Truck coming this November, I am on the search to find “shakedown” events, where I can have several runs, make minor modifications throughout the day, push my truck and fill my notepad with endless thoughts about what needs to be done, what was good and what didn’t work. This is my track for exactly that.

The Hotchkis sponsored autocross event brought out all sorts of vehicles from Camaros to Mustangs, the Hotchkis Challenger, a couple import cars and yes… even some Mopars.

The thing I loved about this Hotchkis Autocross was that it accommodated larger muscle cars and though still technical, it was fast. Racing Byrds was the autocross coordinator for the weekend, not only coming up with the layout of the track, but running the timing, start line, set-up and providing all the results. They did a fantastic job throughout the weekend making sure the event went smoothly and everyone had plenty of runs.

John Hotchkis could also be found under the starting tent with a microphone in his hand announcing drivers at the starting line and finishing times. It is awesome to see the face and name behind a company come out and participate in an event like this and John Hotchkis is a very familiar face to do just that. Not only is he out representing the Hotchkis name, but he’s there helping out, talking to drivers and involved in what is going on behind the scenes.

The weather was questionable throughout the weekend, but the rain held out on our Sunday visit, though the clouds did not look promising. It was the type of weather that everyone enjoyed because of the cloud coverage, but the next day everyone regretted because of the massive sunburn they got from not being prepared. It still was amazing weather for autocross and though a bit chilly, it was a nice change from the weather we are currently having (100+ degrees).

An interesting difference between this autocross and many others is that the track was completely different each day. Saturday the course was ran counter-clockwise, while Sunday they switched it up and ran the course clockwise. Over 1000 laps were ran between the two days with +/- 60 cars participating at the event. Now though many of you may recognize NMCA as a drag racing event, which is still what the event is known for, Hotchkis is starting to open autocross events at all west coast NMCA events through the 2014 race season. So if you missed this past event, there are two more events in June and October that you can still attend if interested.

Leader Board Results:

Jake Rozelle continued his winning streak from the weekend before at the Street Machine Nationals and carried it on to win the overall title on Sunday with a 36.492. Greg Nelson in his 2014 Camaro and Aaron Ogawa, of Hotchkis, in his ’13 Scion FRS placed second and third overall on Sunday.

Though we did not attend the event on Saturday, there were some notable people to mention. Rob MacGregor and his ’69 C10 placed first Saturday with a one second lead over the rest of the competition. Casey Cronin and his ’92 Camaro came in second with a 37.339. Unfortunately neither driver was present on Sunday when we came out so we were unable to get any pictures of their vehicles in action.

Cris Gonzalez from JCG and his ’70 Challenger took third on Saturday. Cris has been doing really well in this car and his time behind the wheel is definitely paying off. I have a feeling we will be seeing him on the leader board more often throughout the rest of the 2014 race season.

Jet-Hot Coating was also out with their truck and trailer along with their ’67 Nova. Cheryl Herrick drove the Nova hard and we were able to get some amazing shots of their truck and trailer as a backdrop while Cheryl took the Nova around the track. It’s always great to see other companies out, especially those that are not local. Jet-Hot is always committed to reaching out to their customers and supporting the pro-touring community. We want to thank them for that and look forward to seeing them out at other events.

Though we were not able to attend both days, here was what we were able to capture during the Sunday runs. Thank you Hotchkis and Racing Byrds for a great event and we hope to see more of you out in June at the Auto Club Dragway in Fontana, CA.

Complete Results can be found on the Racing Byrds Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/racingbyrds
      For more information about upcoming NMCA/ Hotchkis Autocross events visit: http://www.hotchkis.net/nmca-autocross.html
      Keep in touch with Pro-Touring.com for the latest updates on event details, calendar and coverage. Visit https://www.pro-touring.com and visit the forum section for more information.
      Brandy Morrow Phillips
      Site Contributor

WWW.PRO-TOURING.COM

Follow me for the latest event news on Pro-Touring.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com