Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

inboard shock mounting on g-body helped take some of the bind out of the shock

this is for the rear shocks, forgot to mentiond in headline.. as Bob Bolles from circle track is one of the best suspension men around, here is what he says. the angle of the spring inwards towards the centerline of the car, as well as fore and aft, decreases the effective rate of the spring. a spring or shock mounted at an angle to the motion of the rear end or control arm will be less efective than one mounted MORE INLINE WITH MOTION OF THE REAR END.

this was a simple little fix that improved the angle about 50 percent, moved the lower mounting hole inboard on the factory shock mount. i used a few washers to move the shock away from the shock mount, help take some of the bind out.Name:  IMG_1489[1].jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  178.5 KBName:  IMG_1488[1].jpg
Views: 468
Size:  130.0 KBName:  IMG_1490[1].jpg
Views: 473
Size:  126.1 KBName:  IMG_1489[1].jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  178.5 KBName:  IMG_1488[1].jpg
Views: 468
Size:  130.0 KBName:  IMG_1490[1].jpg
Views: 473
Size:  126.1 KB

this is for 1978 - 1988 monte carlo, and probably a lot of the other g-bodys..

Could you feel any difference after doing this?
      I'll be installing the ridetech rq shocks & f9000 airbags later on.

i could not feel any differance.. it was just a easy simple way to get the shock more vertical to the rear end and cut down on binding.. the stock position has a lot of bind, when i moved the shock more inboard i also put a 1/4" spacer between shock and mount, that cut down on the binding of the shocks.. it is the little things that add up.. kind of like when i adjusted my pinion angle, there was this hum noise, check angles, trans negitive 6 degree, pinion negitive 2 degree, raised trans 8 degree, now +2 degree on trans, -2 degree on pinion, now they are parallel but opposite, the noise is gone. didn't feel any differance.

going back to moving shock, it gave me a lot more clearance beween tire
      Last edited by garvir; 08-27-2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: forgot things

i read BOB BOOLES in circle track magazine, every month, he has the TRACK TECH Q&A. one of the better suspension guys out there. here is what bob said about shock angle.. the angle of the spring inwards toward the centerline of the car, as well as fore and aft, DECREASES THE EFFECTIVE RATE OF THE SPRING. A SPRING MOUNTED AT AN ANGLE TO THE MOTION OF THE REAR END OR CONTROL ARM WILL BE LESS EFFECTIVE THAN HAVING SHOCK MORE IN LINE WITH THE MOTION OF THE REAR END.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com