Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      It goes in & out pretty easily with just 4 bolts.
      We should have the car at Pleasanton Goodguys.
      AWESOME!!! cant wait David see you there!!

David,
      Looks great!

Did you add any support to the stock frame rails?

Yes, I plated inside the car on top of the frame rails with 10 ga cold rolled steel spaced 2" apart. I added support inside in the rear seat kick-up vertical area to compensate for cutting most of the rear frame rail away to clear the toe links. I also plated the remains of the frame rail kick-up in 10 ga steel.
      David
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 03-21-2014 at 08:45 PM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  179.1 KBBaer made a kit to put 14" rotors & 6R calipers on the Camaro knuckles.
      The rotor hat is like a Corvette, very shallow, so your wheel hub area needs to be made like Corvette wheels.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 03-24-2014 at 01:31 PM.

david,is mary ditching the hotchkis 3 link and all the front set up...for sale?ha!ha!
      phil
      72 chevelle.

Thank you Matt for detaild information of this new irs. Much apreciated!

The Hotchkis 3 link is going back to Hotchkis, they want to see how it's held up.
      Did rear alignment yesterday, hope to drive it today! Old floor mats make great knee pads.

Views: 1567
Size:  189.8 KB
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 03-26-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Looking forward to some driving impressions.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I just went through this thread for the first time and maybe I missed it but I have to assume this is much heavier than a traditional leaf spring/ solid axle rear....right? How much more does it weigh than the standard rear chassis that would be removed? Now for road racing/auto x, would that be a negative because the overall weight was increased? Or maybe positive because the cars weight bias be more evenly balanced?
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
      I just went through this thread for the first time and maybe I missed it but I have to assume this is much heavier than a traditional leaf spring/ solid axle rear....right? How much more does it weigh than the standard rear chassis that would be removed? Now for road racing/auto x, would that be a negative because the overall weight was increased? Or maybe positive because the cars weight bias be more evenly balanced?
      The main thing to consider is not only the total weight as compared to a live axle, but also the unsprung weight. An IRS system generally offers a significant reduction in unsprung weight, which simultaneously improves handling AND ride quality. This system uses a Strange diff housing which is cast from aluminum. I bet the increase in total weight is less than 50 pounds compared against an all iron and steel 12 bolt or 9", and I bet it is even less if compared to an iron Dana 60 (which this diff is based on). And as you pointed out, the extra increase in weight in the rear might be a good thing for weight distribution. I bet Mary's Camaro now is pretty close to 50/50, and I am sure that David will post some corner weights eventually (hint..hint...).

The other benefit to this system is a significant reduction in pad knock back and greater safety.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 03-27-2014 at 05:15 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

David,

Can you clarify brake fitment a little more. I know the rear spindle is Gen 5 f-body, so I assume any Gen 5 caliper will bolt up. But since the hub is ZR1 does that change the rotor offset or will Gen 5 f-body rotors work as well?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I think 5th gen brakes will work, but I don't have any to try. They won't clear 18" wheels. Actually, it remains to be seen if 18" wheels will clear stock Camaro brakes. The Baer 5th gen rear brakes in 15" would have had 1/8" clearance which we didn't want to chance. It depends on the wheel shape.

I did have to open up the Baer rotor center hole to fit the Corvette hub. I'll give them feedback on it. Maybe the Camaro pilot is smaller?

I drove the car today. Driving on a familiar very bumpy road, the ride quality is excellent! The ride is better than any other Camaro I've driven there. Going from leaf springs to 3 link was a step forward, this is a leap forward! I'm very glad I ordered one for my 67 Camaro.

I didn't get to slide around any corners yet, but the car is very responsive, it changes direction with much less steering input, like it had a faster ratio rack installed. I gassed it in first & got wheel spin but no hint of wheel hop. There is no gear whine, no vibrations, the car runs down the road very smoothly!
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 03-27-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Dave,

Thanks for the update. One thing that I would be interested in is the front and rear operating angle of the u-joints.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

The first test drive went awesome! Super smooth ride compared to the old stuff. No gear noise or vibrations, the steering feels faster with the rear end helping. The rear feels very responsive, it doesn't GO anywhere but it feels like it wants to change direction, kinda "free" feeling that takes some getting used to, kinda like rear tire pressure is low. I have the rear steer amount set pretty high right now.

The car is SO much more comfortable, & responds quickly to small inputs. I didn't get to corner it very hard, but it felt pretty good. I used to hate driving it on the street, but now it's a car I would enjoy touring in.

I'll add up the weights, but I think we gained 50 to 80 lbs, but it's in the rear and low. We gained nearly 1%!rear weight! lost 1% front weight.
      I can't wait to get mine running, I picked it up today with new frame rails.
Views: 2997
Size:  337.3 KB
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 03-28-2014 at 10:20 PM.

I think 5th gen brakes will work, but I don't have any to try. They won't clear 18" wheels. Actually, it remains to be seen if 18" wheels will clear stock Camaro brakes. The Baer 5th gen rear brakes in 15" would have had 1/8" clearance which we didn't want to chance. It depends on the wheel shape.

<snip>
      18 should be fine, my C5 wheels clear. the 17" RT-S wheels will clear the camaro brembos safely as will the CTW's.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      David,

Can you clarify brake fitment a little more. I know the rear spindle is Gen 5 f-body, so I assume any Gen 5 caliper will bolt up. But since the hub is ZR1 does that change the rotor offset or will Gen 5 f-body rotors work as well?

Andrew
      Brakes are fairly easy for this setup as, like you said, a 5th Gen knuckle is used. The C6/ZR1 hubs have a register diameter that is about .090" (or so) larger than the 5th Gen. My decision to use this hub was because of the wheel bolt pattern: Corvettes even to this day still use a 5x4.75 bolt pattern, while Gen 5 Camaros are 5x4.72. Rather than re-drill the bolt pattern, I'd rather have the rotor registers opened up slightly. I battled with this decision for a long time because each method has upsides and downsides. In the end, I ended up with this decision also because it lowered the overall cost to the customer by about $50 and gave the option of using a standard C6 hub, or the upgraded ZR1 hub which is so well proven.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Quote Originally Posted by silver69camaro View Post
      Brakes are fairly easy for this setup as, like you said, a 5th Gen knuckle is used. The C6/ZR1 hubs have a register diameter that is about .090" (or so) larger than the 5th Gen. My decision to use this hub was because of the wheel bolt pattern: Corvettes even to this day still use a 5x4.75 bolt pattern, while Gen 5 Camaros are 5x4.72. Rather than re-drill the bolt pattern, I'd rather have the rotor registers opened up slightly. I battled with this decision for a long time because each method has upsides and downsides. In the end, I ended up with this decision also because it lowered the overall cost to the customer by about $50 and gave the option of using a standard C6 hub, or the upgraded ZR1 hub which is so well proven.
      Matt,

Thank you for the clarification.

One thing that you guys want to consider is making some adapter brackets for C5/6 spindles in the front to accommodate Gen 5 Camaro breaks. If AM is going to offer this as an option for all of your chassis, I can see many customers opting to use the SS Brembo brakes that can be easily sources and seem to be well suited to heavy cars like A-bodies, considering Gen 5 Camaros are about the same weight. Food for thought.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
      This is tough to answer because everybody has different axle weights. I had a 9" (iron center section, .188" tubes, 13" brakes, 3 link with watts) before, and this setup added about 50 lbs. Part of that was because now I have larger brakes (14.25") and I'm using the heavier Strange differential. You have the option of ordering this suspension with the OEM 5th Gen diff which is about 35lbs lighter. The advantage of adding a bit more rear weight (and it's down low) is usually a good thing for these cars. But like Andrew said the difference in unsprung weight is great, and you'll notice the difference immediately.

Anyway, on my first gen, it weighs 35xxlbs with 3/4" tank of fuel, 185lb driver, and a 50.7% front weight bias. I couldn't be much happier with that.

Name:  2013-07-18 11.50.53.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  188.4 KB
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

The first test drive went awesome! Super smooth ride compared to the old stuff. No gear noise or vibrations, the steering feels faster with the rear end helping. The rear feels very responsive, it doesn't GO anywhere but it feels like it wants to change direction, kinda "free" feeling that takes some getting used to, kinda like rear tire pressure is low. I have the rear steer amount set pretty high right now.

The car is SO much more comfortable, & responds quickly to small inputs. I didn't get to corner it very hard, but it felt pretty good. I used to hate driving it on the street, but now it's a car I would enjoy touring in.

I'll add up the weights, but I think we gained 50 to 80 lbs, but it's in the rear and low. We gained nearly 1%!rear weight! lost 1% front weight.
      I can't wait to get mine running, I picked it up today with new frame rails.
Views: 2997
Size:  337.3 KB

I am jealous

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Matt,

Thank you for the clarification.

One thing that you guys want to consider is making some adapter brackets for C5/6 spindles in the front to accommodate Gen 5 Camaro breaks. If AM is going to offer this as an option for all of your chassis, I can see many customers opting to use the SS Brembo brakes that can be easily sources and seem to be well suited to heavy cars like A-bodies, considering Gen 5 Camaros are about the same weight. Food for thought.

Andrew
      That's a good idea. I'll check that out. I initially didn't want to offer the 5th Gen rear brakes because of the front mismatch, but a front adapter would solve that issue.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com