Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Opinion on headers for my lowered 69 Camaro w/ LS motor

Hey guys, I just dropped an LS1 in my 69 Camaro. Lowered 3" with Hooker Ceramic Long tube headers. The headers are too close to the ground and I'm sure they will be scraping all over the place. Anyone out there with a lowered Camaro & what headers are you running?

I'm running the Trans-Dapt engine swap plates along with Holley Swap pan.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking a mid or short header would work best since I am running a cam and stall converter. I've seen the new Hooker LS swap manifolds, but I'm not sure how they would fit and perform with a cam.

I am running Dougs Headers with Dirty Dingo sliders w/ energy suspension poly mounts on stock small block frame stands, stock sub, Mast LS swap oil pan
      plenty of clearance, even with larger Lee Mfg. 670 series steering box

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarguy View Post
      I am running Dougs Headers with Dirty Dingo sliders w/ energy suspension poly mounts on stock small block frame stands, stock sub, Mast LS swap oil pan
      Thanks for the pics. How much is your car lowered? My clearance with Hooker long tubes didn't look as good as your set up clearance wise!

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1camaro69 View Post
      Thanks for the pics. How much is your car lowered? My clearance with Hooker long tubes didn't look as good as your set up clearance wise!
      Car has ATS Spindles (7/8" drop) and Global west 1" drop springs

I had Hotchkis 2" drop, the car looked great, a bit too low, but I remember what Mary Pozzi said about that "some people sacrifice handling performance over looks", so i swapped them for the 1" Global West

here are pics

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarguy View Post
      While we are here, what trans mount did you use?
      Are the headers D3337?

Also looks like the tru-turn would work with this setup.

Awesome car / setup by the way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      While we are here, what trans mount did you use?
      Are the headers D3337?

Awesome car / setup by the way!!!
      Thanks Randy!
      yes those are the D3337 headers from Dougs
      I have the SpeedTech/ATS T56 crossmember for my T56 6spd

Jeff

Awesome.

All this info just got added to my swap spreadsheet.

Man, beautiful car. Stance looks great too. Mine will be a little lower with 3" Hotchkis springs up front. Hope it's not too rough of a ride. Thanks for the info.

Opinion on headers for my lowered 69 Camaro w/ LS motor

I am running an autokraft pan and mounts with stainless works headers and the hotchkis 3" drop springs. Rides firm but not harsh. I have never bottomed out and have plenty of clearance. I love the setup.
      Brian

68lovebuzz
      68 Camaro, LS6, TKO 600, Moser 12 bolt 3.73 W/Eaton LSD, hotchkis/bilstein, KORE3 C5 brakes, RUSHFORTHs and a few other tweaks ; )

I am running hot LS3 with GM pan 12624621 with dynatech headers. I had 2 inch hotchkis drop springs and the car was too low. Went with QA1 coil overs to raise it a bit and help the ride. I think it sits too high in the front now. My exhaust cut outs hang even lower than the headers!! I might try to lower it a little more in the front, but not much. Really don't like to scrape.

A lot has changed with the new 1st-gen swap parts that have just been released by Hooker/Holley. In support of that statement, these photos show the ground clearance and steering box clearance obtained with the new Hooker 1-7/8" long tube headers and 3" exhaust system when the engine and transmission are mounted using the related new Hooker engine mounts and transmission crossmembers.Name:  Under shot.jpg
Views: 2432
Size:  153.4 KBName:  Nova.jpg
Views: 3740
Size:  185.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      A lot has changed with the new 1st-gen swap parts that have just been released by Hooker/Holley. In support of that statement, these photos show the ground clearance and steering box clearance obtained with the new Hooker 1-7/8" long tube headers and 3" exhaust system when the engine and transmission are mounted using the related new Hooker engine mounts and transmission crossmembers.Name:  Under shot.jpg
Views: 2432
Size:  153.4 KBName:  Nova.jpg
Views: 3740
Size:  185.7 KB
      Wow, both of the issues I'm having with the old Hooker headers seem to have been fixed perfectly with the new design. Can I trade mine in for the new ones? ;o) I'm using Trans Dapt swap plates, do you know if they position the engine where it needs to be?

Wow, both of the issues I'm having with the old Hooker headers seem to have been fixed perfectly with the new design. Can I trade mine in for the new ones? ;o) I'm using Trans Dapt swap plates, do you know if they position the engine where it needs to be?
      The opportunity to return your existing headers would only exist if you haven't installed them yet and they are in re-sellable condition. The new Hooker headers require the new Hooker clamshell retrofit mounts and are not compatible with the OE frame stand/swap plate method of installation. The new components represent a new way of approaching these swaps.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      The opportunity to return your existing headers would only exist if you haven't installed them yet and they are in re-sellable condition. The new Hooker headers require the new Hooker clamshell retrofit mounts and are not compatible with the OE frame stand/swap plate method of installation. The new components represent a new way of approaching these swaps.

Todd
      Thanks Todd. I mounted the headers to a foam block to test fit them. The motor has never been fired, & they have not been used. I have the hardware, gaskets & instructions, but tossed the box awhile ago. Whats the part number I need for the mounts? I think at this point, it may be easiest for me to just buy all your products so I know everything is done and fits right.

Thanks Todd. I mounted the headers to a foam block to test fit them. The motor has never been fired, & they have not been used. I have the hardware, gaskets & instructions, but tossed the box awhile ago. Whats the part number I need for the mounts? I think at this point, it may be easiest for me to just buy all your products so I know everything is done and fits right.
      I think your best bet is to just offer up the headers you have now for sale here or on ebay and go with all new components if you want to be assured of the best possible outcome. The 2288HKR headers are also limited to 1-3/4" primaries and the new 2276HKR headers provide larger 1-7/8" primaries to you (you can also get the new headers with 1-3/4" primaries under the 2275HKR part number). The numbers of the rest of the new Hooker parts are as follows...

1-3/4" mid-length headers- 2473HKR
      1-7/8" long-tube headers- 2474HKR
      engine mount kit- 12618HKR
      T56 crossmember- 12626HKR
      4L60 crossmemer- 12625HKR
      2.5" exhaust system- 42503HKR (requires use of a 42107HKR adapter kit to connect to the 3" collectors of the Hooker long-tubes)
      3" exhaust system- 42504HKR

I just noticed something in your original post that will affect your ability to run these new parts and that's the mention you made of using the Holley oil pan...if the pan you have is the 302-1 pan that has been on the market for a few years, it will not clear the subframe using the new Hooker mounts unless you notch your subframe. The new Holley 302-2 oil pan recently released has a lower front profile than the 302-1 pan and was designed specifically for use with the new Hooker components for 1st-gen F-body/3rd gen Nova LS swaps. I know this is all probably news you don't want to hear at this point, but I think you'll value getting all the compatibility information now to prevent any surprises if you decide to go this route to improve some clearances of your combination.

Todd

Thanks. I've got a few things to sell on Ebay. Ill make that my goal this weekend so I can get this stuff ordered.

The 1-7/8" long-tube headers- 2474HKR show up as Mid-length headers on Summit's website. Is that correct, you noted as long tubes.

Thanks. I've got a few things to sell on Ebay. Ill make that my goal this weekend so I can get this stuff ordered.

The 1-7/8" long-tube headers- 2474HKR show up as Mid-length headers on Summit's website. Is that correct, you noted as long tubes.
      Sorry, my mistake on the header part numbers. The long-tube part numbers are as follows:

1-3/4" painted mild steel- 2275HKR
      1-3/4" silver ceramic ms- 2275-1HKR
      1-3/4" black ceramic ms- 2275-3HKR
      1-3/4" stainless steel- 2275-7HKR

1-7/8" painted mild steel- 2276HKR
      1-7/8" silver ceramic ms- 2276-1HKR
      1-7/8" black ceramic ms- 2276-3HKR
      1-7/8" stainless steel- 2276-7HKR

Are these new Holley parts "designed in USA made in China" like the Holley SD7 ac bracket I just bought?

Quote Originally Posted by EFI69Cam View Post
      Are these new Holley parts "designed in USA made in China" like the Holley SD7 ac bracket I just bought?
      No, Hooker headers are made in Aberdeen Mississippi and the Hooker crossmembers and engine mounting brackets are made per our designs by various domestic fabrication suppliers.

Hey Todd, I sold my old headers on EBay and placed an order through Jegs for your headers, motor mounts, and crossmember. I just noticed your post about the oil pan. I do have your newest version of the Holley swap pan. 302-2. I should be good to go...

Is there anything else I may be forgetting to order from Jegs? I had poly motor mounts for the oem frame stands and swap plates. Do the new swap mounts require different mounts than I currently have? Also what trans mount is required for the 4l60 crossmember I ordered?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com