Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Easiest way to install 6sp to a BBC?

Anyone have a link to what all is needed to bolt a 6sp to a BB for a 1st gen Camaro (67). I've looked and searched but really haven't found what I'm looking for. Thank in advance!!

Easiest way to install 6sp to a BBC?

Hydraulic or mechanical clutch?

Mechanical. I'm guessing that would be the lesser of two evils of making it complicated? Or, which ever would be the easiest!! Lol

The easiest is the Richmond 6speed...but you probably were asking about a T56?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      The easiest is the Richmond 6speed...but you probably were asking about a T56?

Andrew
      Nope, any 6 sp. Is the Richmond a direct bolt up?

Richmond 6 speed is almost a direct swap. You'll need a minor crossmember/trans mount modification, and maybe a new output yoke.
      Go to Richmondgear website, They have instructions for your car online.

Quote Originally Posted by redbull396 View Post
      Nope, any 6 sp. Is the Richmond a direct bolt up?
      Is there a reason you want a 6 speed, besides it's what all the other kids are doing? With a Big Block, you don't need to have all those gears. Why not look at a TKO 600...or the Richmond 5 speed with overdrive....etc...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by garys 68 View Post
      Richmond 6 speed is almost a direct swap. You'll need a minor crossmember/trans mount modification, and maybe a new output yoke.
      Go to Richmondgear website, They have instructions for your car online.
      Thanks Gary!

Is there a reason you want a 6 speed, besides it's what all the other kids are doing? With a Big Block, you don't need to have all those gears. Why not look at a TKO 600...or the Richmond 5 speed with overdrive....etc...

Andrew
      Not really, just used to them from my Z06's. A 6sp BB seems to roll off the tongue a bit better than 5sp, lol. I haven't really looked that heavily into either, I just thought if I was going to yank the 4 sp out for something it was going to be a 6sp. I'm just in the preliminary stages of my build, so I haven't even researched the price point of wither option. But to answer your question, I would not be opposed to a 5sp if the swap was straight forward.

Andrew is right about "needing" a 6 speed with a big block, but the Richmond 6 speed is actually cheaper than the Richmond 5 speed OD trans. Btw, check out SDparts for an ROD price, they were a few hundred less than anyone else, last time I checked.
      If you go with a TKO, you generally need a new driveshaft, offset shifter, and other parts that add up. Compare some of the TKO kits.
      You can reuse your bell, clutch, z bar link, crossmember, driveshaft, mechanical speedo, etc with the Richmond. Shifter is in the correct location too.
      The trans mount will be a couple inches farther back and about 1/2" lower. Most crossmembers can be moved, redrilled. Others have welded up crossmembers 1/2" lower for the ROD, but I don't weld. So I just made a rubber trans mount that was 1/2" lower profile.
      One other advantage to the Richmond is the choice of about a half dozen gear ratios. With most Tremecs, you only get 2. Much easier to match the ratios to your engine and rear end ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by garys 68 View Post
      Andrew is right about "needing" a 6 speed with a big block, but the Richmond 6 speed is actually cheaper than the Richmond 5 speed OD trans. Btw, check out SDparts for an ROD price, they were a few hundred less than anyone else, last time I checked.
      If you go with a TKO, you generally need a new driveshaft, offset shifter, and other parts that add up. Compare some of the TKO kits.
      You can reuse your bell, clutch, z bar link, crossmember, driveshaft, mechanical speedo, etc with the Richmond. Shifter is in the correct location too.
      The trans mount will be a couple inches farther back and about 1/2" lower. Most crossmembers can be moved, redrilled. Others have welded up crossmembers 1/2" lower for the ROD, but I don't weld. So I just made a rubber trans mount that was 1/2" lower profile.
      One other advantage to the Richmond is the choice of about a half dozen gear ratios. With most Tremecs, you only get 2. Much easier to match the ratios to your engine and rear end ratio.
      Gary brings up good points that many people don't consider when doing transmission swaps. With a BBC, I would go with the 2.77 1st gear and .62 OD. I had that transmission behind my 600hp 502 in my GTO and it lived...Not sure how long it would live with more power and sticky tires. As they say, "your mileage may vary."

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Yep, that was another reason I liked the Richmond opposed to the T56, was all the gear options and the capability to really dial in that final drive ratio with rear gear choice and tire size.
      I really like the gearing in one of my z06s, car was a H/C car with nitrous and 373s. 390s in the car was too low, 1st and 2nd gear were virtually useless.
      C6Z has 342s, but it's a different trans all together! You can get 70mph in first gear!! This car is only 508 whp tho.

There are several companies that make inexpensive adaptor plates to mount a T56 to a BBC. I used a Weir products but only because they were the only ones doing it when I wanted to make the swap.

There are adaptor plates that replace the front plate on a T56 allowing for a traditional throw out bearing to be used. If you google it they pop up.

I have had a T56 behind a 496 solid roller engine since 2007 and it is still alive. Believe me, I drive it like I stole it too.
      Tim Tracy
      68 Camaro 496 / T56 - Never Finished
      68 Camaro Real Z/28 - Under Restoration
      67 Camaro Project - Never going to have time

I had just rebuilt the diff on my 68 and the vette IRS tend to be expensive. With the Richmond it was easy to target a 10:1 first gear and highway cruise just under 2000 rpm. Honestly, I underestimated the low end torque of my 6.0 LS motor and could probably have dropped the highway rmp a couple hundred rpm.

One thing to note is that the Richmond is not going to shift as smoothly as a T56 in a Corvette. Just totally different animals. From a durability stand point a T56 Magnum is a better choice for being behind a big block. The hydraulic TOB is not a big deal to implement in an older car. Heck, I have a hydraulic TOB with my Richmond!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

If he's got a Muncie now with OEM shifter, the Long supplied with the Richmond will feel smooth as silk...lol
      One thing to note is that the Richmond is not going to shift as smoothly as a T56 in a Corvette. Just totally different animals. From a durability stand point a T56 Magnum is a better choice for being behind a big block. The hydraulic TOB is not a big deal to implement in an older car. Heck, I have a hydraulic TOB with my Richmond!

Andrew

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com