Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

SCCA is adding a class just for us!

Below is the final draft of rules to be presented to the SCCA BoD for a class targeted specifically at Pro-Touring cars. This was brought forth by Raleigh Boreen who's a member of my Region (Indianapolis) after much research and input from people in the Pro-Touring world as well as experience from Indy Region's SMC class. Raleigh and his wife Velma are working as paid consultants to the SCCA working on methods and ways to help regions improve and expand regions tools to put on better Solo (autocross) events. One of the things they were charged with is how to attract more of us to SCCA events.

Pending BoD approval (which is almost certain) the new class called CAM (Classic American Muscle) will be a Regional only class meaning the class won't be included in National Tour events, Solo Match Tour events, and the Solo Nationals. At least initially. There are already things I can't talk about that may happen that could expand class recognition. The class will be in Appendix B of the 2014 SCCA Solo Rule Book.

CAM - Appendix BAPPENDIX B - CLASSIC AMERICAN MUSCLE (CAM)
      Rationale: The purpose of CAM is to attract automobile enthusiasts to SCCA who are currently interested in and/or participating in the Goodguys® Autocross events or other similar events for "classic" vehicles (e.g., Street Machine, Muscle Car, Hot Rod, Truck, Street Car, Late Model, etc.) built in North America by manufacturers based in the US (e.g., "The Big Three" – GM, Ford, and Chrysler). These avid enthusiasts would largely be a new and different group of folks to join with us as SCCA® members and participants.
      However, many of these types of cars may not have a favorable clas
      sification at their local SCCA® Solo® events. By having a simple, single set of rules used across the country, these new autocross enthusiasts would be able to participate in multiple Regional Solo® events with a more consistent experience. Additionally, this gives SCCA and the Solo® Events Board an opportunity to see the viability of this type of participation at all levels of Solo® events. Therefore, Regions are encouraged to offer this program and to encourage Classic American Muscle car enthusiasts to join the fun at your SCCA Solo events!
      Eligible Vehicles

1. Vehicle must be considered a "street legal" (lights, wipers, etc.), US-domestic automobile of front-engine/RWD configuration or a "pick-up" truck. Must be licensed and insured.
      2. Vehicle must pass the mandatory safety inspection (tech) and be in compliance with Section 3, Vehicles, of the 2014 SCCA® National Solo® Rules.
      3. Vehicles must weigh 3000 pounds or more.

Body

1. All body panels must be present in the original standard locations and may be modified or replaced. Exc

1. eption: High-Boys (1954 and earlier), Roadsters (1954 and earlier), and Trucks (1940 and earlier) are not required to have fenders or hood sides.
      2. All glass must be present. Side glass components may be replaced by Lexan®.
      3. Interior must be finished and have minimum seating for two adults.
      4. The fuel tank/cell must be separated from the driver/passenger compartment by a metal panel/bulkhead. The fuel tank/cell shall not vent into the driver/passenger compartment.

Wheels and Tires

1. Any metallic wheels are allowed. Non-metallic wheels must be certified from an appropriate, recognized standards organization (e.g., FIA, SFI, SAE, TUV, etc.).
      2. Only DOT-approved tires with a UTQG Treadwear Grade of 200 or more are permitted.

draft a
      A
      ppendix B - CAM2013 SCCA® National Solo® Rules— 281
      Body Electrical System

1. Electrical components and wiring are unrestricted.

Brake System

1. Brake system and components are unrestricted.

Suspension and Steering

1. Suspension and steering components are unrestricted. Method of attachment is unrestricted.

Engine and Drive Train

1. Engine, drive train, and associated components (internal and external) are unrestricted.

Classing Options, based on local demand:

1. A single CAM class for vehicles meeting the above requirements.
      2. Two classes (CAM-A and CAM-B) split on a model year (e.g., pre-1973 and 1973-on or pre-1983 and 1983-on).
      3. Two classes based on body style; muscle car and/or hot rod (alternate minimum weights may be considered).
      4. Other methods of subdividing based on local CAM enthusiast requests.

Dave Dusterberg
      http://www.facebook.com/camchallengeeast
      1979 Aspen R/T (under construction soon to be #19 CAM/T)
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T
      2005 Mustang GT #19 CAM/C

FANTASTIC!!!

This is great news Dave, I can't wait to see how the BOD reacts to this.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      FANTASTIC!!!

This is great news Dave, I can't wait to see how the BOD reacts to this.
      If you mean SCCA's BoD, my understanding that this is a done deal. Or are you talking about your Region's BoD?
      Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T

Thats great news, more opportunities for seat time...
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

SCCA's BOD... I thought it was pending based on your post?

I'm curious if our Region should adopt this class or just run with the Street Machine class we adopted last fall for the upcoming season?

I'd love to compete at Nationals in CAM. Can't wait to see how this takes off.
      Lance

Sounds pretty interesting to me but I would hate to need to ad 500lbs of balast to my car.

lol... I could shave 500 pounds off and still be good...
      Lance

Excellent! We hope to make some time to run with the Indy and Columbus region in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      SCCA's BOD... I thought it was pending based on your post?

I'm curious if our Region should adopt this class or just run with the Street Machine class we adopted last fall for the upcoming season?

I'd love to compete at Nationals in CAM. Can't wait to see how this takes off.
      It is still pending but SCCA's BoD as of late has taken the view if something is presented by the program rules committees then they will approve it with little to no question. The BoD is taking the view that they are there as oversite but that the committees know best what is needed for their programs. So unless something is presented that's really out of line with the SCCA's mission, they'll approve it.

Here in Indy we will be adopting the CAM rules in place of our SMC rules. For CAM to be successful, everyone needs to support CAM.
      Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T

Quote Originally Posted by tommycomfort View Post
      Excellent! We hope to make some time to run with the Indy and Columbus region in 2014.
      We'd love to have you run Indy events! For 2014 we have added 2 events at the Indiana State Fairgrounds and have one at the Indianapolis Speedrome. The rest of the schedule will be at grippy Grissom in Peru.

In addition to our Solo events we will be hosting at least 2, hopefully 3 Dragcrosses at Grissom. Dragcross is our local version of SCCA's Pro-Solo but it's simplified. We don't utilize a class structure instead we create eliminators via qualifying. Qualifying consists of 2 passes on each course with the sum of the best time from each course being the qualifying time. Cars are then placed in either 8 or 16 car eliminators based on their qualifying time. Eliminations are run with each pairing making a run on each course and the sum of the 2 runs determines a winner. The courses start side by side drag race style and peel off into separate autocross courses. One course is a longer, more open "fast" course while the other course is a shorter but slower and more technical "slow" course. In eliminations hitting a cone is an instant loss. Each eliminator produces a winner and the winners compete for Champions honors in a final eliminator that is run with handicaps. First round losers go on to compete in an all-run eliminator in which the winner also competes in the Championship eliminator. It's a ton of fun and everybody gets a minimum of 8 runs!
      Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T

Quote Originally Posted by avewhtboy View Post
      Sounds pretty interesting to me but I would hate to need to ad 500lbs of balast to my car.
      The upside is you can add that 500# were it would do you the most good!
      Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T

This is pretty cool. I will contact Chicago and Milwaukee region and see if they are interested in running this.

Jason Rhodes had drafted up something similar, although far more in depth, that looked like it could have worked at a National level. He was calling it STP, admittedly, I didn't think there was a chance in hell of anything like this going through with SCCA.

Dave, I could not care less, but the SCCA types will want to know if anyone had though about a pax number for this class yet?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
      It is still pending but SCCA's BoD as of late has taken the view if something is presented by the program rules committees then they will approve it with little to no question. The BoD is taking the view that they are there as oversite but that the committees know best what is needed for their programs. So unless something is presented that's really out of line with the SCCA's mission, they'll approve it.

Here in Indy we will be adopting the CAM rules in place of our SMC rules. For CAM to be successful, everyone needs to support CAM.

I saw a draft of the 2014 rule book and it's in there.

I agree that we should run CAM to support it. I'll start letting everyone know about it around here.
      Lance

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      This is pretty cool. I will contact Chicago and Milwaukee region and see if they are interested in running this.

Jason Rhodes had drafted up something similar, although far more in depth, that looked like it could have worked at a National level. He was calling it STP, admittedly, I didn't think there was a chance in hell of anything like this going through with SCCA.

Dave, I could not care less, but the SCCA types will want to know if anyone had though about a pax number for this class yet?
      PAX is still being figured out by people who know and care a whole lot more about PAX than me. I read Jason's thread over on RoadRaceAutoX and while it was well crafted, it was VERY SCCA-ized. I know that the decision was made early on to refrain from SCCA-izing any ruleset any more than was needed to satisfy SCCA safety rules. The goal was to give pro-touring folk another option to get seat time and get all the Regions on the same page rule wise.
      Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T

very sweet!...I need the seat time!
      1971 Chevrolet Camaro RS-Detroit Speed Equipped
      1966 Chevrolet C-10-Driver/Project truck

I am glad that this appears to be moving forward. I had spoke to Raleigh about this on a couple of occasions and saw the initial rules outline and was asked my opinion. I think this is mutually good for both parties, although it doesn't really add "opportunities" to run SCCA events and there was always a place for muscle cars to run regardless, this just allows them there own playground as SSM,CP,EM were not good places for PT cars to run , especially on 200tw tires.

If Indy region SCCA is interested in promoting this class, there may be an opportunity the 1st weekend of May for Indy to put on an exclusive autocross for these cars as a large number of them will be in the area for the MWMCC , and are looking for a good autocross venue I believe on that Saturday in Indianapolis instead of heading back to Lawrenceville as they have in the past. I have heard that you guys have an event that Sunday, but would it be possible to run an event on the Saturday ??

~Danny

Quote Originally Posted by RAFTRACER View Post
      I am glad that this appears to be moving forward. I had spoke to Raleigh about this on a couple of occasions and saw the initial rules outline and was asked my opinion. I think this is mutually good for both parties, although it doesn't really add "opportunities" to run SCCA events and there was always a place for muscle cars to run regardless, this just allows them there own playground as SSM,CP,EM were not good places for PT cars to run , especially on 200tw tires

If Indy region SCCA is interested in promoting this class, there may be an opportunity the 1st weekend of May for Indy to put on an exclusive autocross for these cars as a large number of them will be in the area for the MWMCC , and are looking for a good autocross venue I believe on that Saturday in Indianapolis instead of heading back to Lawrenceville as they have in the past. I have heard that you guys have an event that Sunday, but would it be possible to run an event on the Saturday ??

~Danny
      Well, Saturday we are hosting an autocross for One Lap of America. They come in around 11 and are out by 2. We could put on a CAM only or street tire only event after that. We just have to be off the site by sundown. Let me work on that......
      Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T

It would be awesome if Midwest Muscle could bookend the One Lap autocross!
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
      Well, Saturday we are hosting an autocross for One Lap of America. They come in around 11 and are out by 2. We could put on a CAM only or street tire only event after that. We just have to be off the site by sundown. Let me work on that......
      I am assuming that is in Peru at Grissom ?? If so that is as far as a drive as going to Lawrenceville. That would be awesome to run there , but a far drive and they are probably interested in an exclusive event.

Ill try to contact you next week, Dave...

There is also CP and SM those are 4 seater class that allows you to run lighter. It's up to what you choose to do..Or just add weight and make it work.

I'm still wondering if this is a done deal or something suggested

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com