Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
      I have to call you on that. You in your '67 Camaro finished 29th at the Solo Nationals yet the best finishing S197 Mustang was 53rd. You did indeed trophy in class at the Pro Solo Finale in 5th (congrats by the way) and there was no S197 Mustang competing in STX in that event.

Comparing results from national competition to what happens at most regional (local) events isn't fair. The guys running at the pointy end of any class aren't going to abandon their class to run a local class, there's no incentive.
      I figured because my car was being brought up I should jump in and provide some perspective on the disparity in prep level between J-Rho's car and my own. J-Rho maxed his car out to the best of the class rules for live axle cars. I don't think he could have tweaked it any further within the framework of STX to max it further but only he can truly comment on that.

My car? My car looks meaner and faster than it actually is!

My car had at Nationals:

-Ground Control Coilovers - 440lbs/in front springs, 200 lbs/in rear springs -3.0º camber, -0.10º toe and +7.0º caster
      -Strano Performance Parts 35mm front sway bar
      -Fays 2 Watts Link
      -Cortex Racing Torque Arm
      -265/40/18 Hankook RS3's on Enkei PF01 18x9's
      -Rebuilt Traction-Lok Rear Diff with the Carbon Fiber clutch packs (stock diff with different clutch packs)

The car weighed 3425lbs with an 1/8th tank of gas and no driver at Nationals. Unfortunately for me I made some substantial changes to the car 3 weeks prior to Nationals and while I got a ton of runs in with the two test'n'tunes, a divisional championship and a local event I could not get rid of the push in the car and fought it all through Nationals. To add insult to injury, it was my first Nationals (even though I run on that site all summer long with the Nebraska Region) and I was nearing the end of my third year of autocross. If you look at the results I coned away all 3 runs on day 1, and the day 1 course was the only course I was going to have an advantage over the rest of the class with the big braking zones and dragging the car out of the slow corners. Even without the cones my final position in STX would have been the mid 40's.

In terms of STX rules the only things left are going to fall in driver comfort (seats, harnesses), weight reduction (battery, seats, exhaust, other misc items), power (CAI + Tune, full catted exhaust, underdrive pulleys) and a better rear diff. In final trim it would put the car about 3300lbs with about 300 RWHP, 320 RWTRQ.

At the next local event after Nationals we ran the west course again (verbatim) and by adding my heavier rear swaybar and changing the stock rear lower control arm bushings out for poly bushings I dropped enough time that with clean runs on day 1 of Nationals I would have been 41st overall. Because I am a glutton for punishment I handed the keys over to CSP Winner at Nationals, John Hunter to toss my car around (he's been asking all year to do it) and the times he ran were consistent with folks in the mid to upper 20's in STX at Nationals. With all the caveats associated with different day comparisons, I don't think the car will ever make it to the trophies Nationally in STX trim. There is simply too much weight and not enough tire to make the car work correctly to do well.

If you are curious about my STX build, more info (the entire build log) can be found on my blog: http://stxs197.blogspot.com/

Back to CAM. This is one class I really look forward to because it allows me to do what I want with the car and stay on streetable tires. I know I'm not the only late model owner looking forward to CAM's SM like rules without the slicks against similar build and make cars.

What will really turn me off to CAM will be model year restrictions and weight balance restrictions that bias cars forward too much. My car as it sits has a 52.6/47.4 weight distribution and adding weight to the front of the car is a non-starter for me. I'd rather bump up to ESP and fight there or run SM locally on street tires and CP Nationally on A6's. I would support aero restrictions similar to CP though. The idea of huge wings is a bit of a turn off even if they are functional.

At the end of the day, I'm still not sure where I will end up with my car next year. A huge part of me wants to jump to CAM, part of me wants ESP and the remainder of me wants a 2015 Mustang which would mean putting my current car on hold.

Texas Region SCCA's CAM rules:

• There will be a split in the classing (2 classes). CAM (Classic American Muscle) cars that are 1972 and older. MAM (Modern American Muscle) 1973 and newer cars.

• No weight restriction in either class.

• Exclusion list: C4, C5, C6 and C7 Corvettes are excluded from these classes.

All other restrictions, rules and safety requirements are as noted in the link and will apply for our 2014 TX Region CAM & MAM class.

…tell your local muscle car guy he’s got a place to autocross for 2014!!
      Chris

Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

Very cool.
      Unfortunately yesterday we had the issue with the rules as written that we knew we would. A driver who is normally not competitive in SS, tried to class his newer Z06 in CAM. Luckily a few of us caught it in grid and he was talked to by the regional chair, since our CAM is limited to pre-79. After speaking with the guy, he knew exactly what he was doing and had hope he could "slip by" and nab a trophy.
      Other than that, we had a great 2nd event; with 10 Drivers and 8 (legal) cars.

• There will be a split in the classing (2 classes). CAM (Classic American Muscle) cars that are 1972 and older. MAM (Modern American Muscle) 1973 and newer cars.

All other restrictions, rules and safety requirements are as noted in the link and will apply for our 2014 TX Region CAM & MAM class.
      Seems like reasonable additions and deletions to the rules. Personally, the weight rule is going to be hard to enforce locally. Who's going to drag out a set of scales for one class? How many Regions even own a set of scales? Why exclude C4's? Those things SUCK! A lot of fun to beat up on though

Unfortunately yesterday we had the issue with the rules as written that we knew we would. A driver who is normally not competitive in SS, tried to class his newer Z06 in CAM. Luckily a few of us caught it in grid and he was talked to by the regional chair, since our CAM is limited to pre-79. After speaking with the guy, he knew exactly what he was doing and had hope he could "slip by" and nab a trophy.
      And that's how you handle that situation. Even if you didn't have the model / year rule, there is nothing wrong with doing that. Just because the car may be "legal" for the class, Region officials have every right ask members to behave with good sportsmanship and not trophy raid a class just because they can. If the member wants to be a jerk about it, they can be asked to go away until they can exhibit good sportsmanship.
      Dave Dusterberg
      http://www.facebook.com/camchallengeeast
      1979 Aspen R/T (under construction soon to be #19 CAM/T)
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T
      2005 Mustang GT #19 CAM/C

This is pretty big news that just broke...

http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=51948
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      This is pretty big news that just broke...

http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=51948

Oh wow! CAM as a National class at the finals

It just got real competitive. Game on!

Quote Originally Posted by GrabberGT View Post

…tell your local muscle car guy he’s got a place to autocross for 2014!!
      Those are nice rules. There are no limits in the STL club and 95% of the cars that run that class are 1990 and newer. Not a fan of it but I don't want to be the guy that makes a big deal about it.

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

I have updated my registration...looks like I'm first...

Who else will join me in the new CAM classes at SCCA Nationals?

Classic American Muscle Contemporary 1 ENTRIES
      # Name Year Make Sponsor Hometown
      24 Hamilton, Lance 1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS ridetech, Ron Sutton Race Technology, Exessive Engineering, Smithville, MO

Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com