Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Our local Region's Solo Program Manager is under the assumption it is a done deal.

Here is the link to the 2014 rulebook draft

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...%20reduced.pdf
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
      PAX is still being figured out by people who know and care a whole lot more about PAX than me. I read Jason's thread over on RoadRaceAutoX and while it was well crafted, it was VERY SCCA-ized. I know that the decision was made early on to refrain from SCCA-izing any ruleset any more than was needed to satisfy SCCA safety rules. The goal was to give pro-touring folk another option to get seat time and get all the Regions on the same page rule wise.
      The problem is this class allows scratch-built tube-frame monsters with a tiny footprint, massive aero, and race car weight distribution (60%+ rear)...which is not anything like what P-T is about. It wouldn't have been that hard to exclude obvious ringers, while disallowing practically nobody.

I'm not complaining, but will be holding off on changing my car until they come up with a place where stock-bodied classic cars on street tires have a legitimate place to play.

This is just a "provisional" class - not a real one. There is no championship on the line.

looks like .830 is the number
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

First off I haven't read the rules yet but, if I didn't care about points and just wanted to go out and have fun could I run pretty much anything as long as it passes safety?
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Quote Originally Posted by avewhtboy View Post
      Sounds pretty interesting to me but I would hate to need to ad 500lbs of balast to my car.
      Are you thinking your car will weigh 2500# ?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Callahan View Post
      First off I haven't read the rules yet but, if I didn't care about points and just wanted to go out and have fun could I run pretty much anything as long as it passes safety?

The SCCA draws the line at Solo with vehicles with a high center of gravity, think SUVs, crossovers...I think they initially even banned the new Fiat 500s. Once you have something that won't rollover, is technically safe and sound, and find a class to run it in, only other requirement is to basically follow the safe event guidelines. They frown at burnouts, doughnuts, that kind of behavior (again, mainly safety related).

IF you can abide by all of that though, they really are pretty fun events to attend. We do about 1 a month here in the KC Region, typically on a Sunday and if you time it right you can get in and out in 3 hours or so...or you can spend all day out there depending on how you register and schedule your run and work groups.
      Lance

You can always run anything at a SCCA event...As long it isn't a high risk vehicle of tipping over and passes safety inspection.The suggested CAM class is open for regions to make adjustments.Our split in San Diego may be 78 and older.Maybe if it is a kitcar using a current Corvett chassis.WE would put it in later then 78.I don't see anything in CAM restricting bodies being separated from frames.Alot of gaps in the rules.So it's written in a way for regions to adjust.I look at it as a note to regions to take notice there is a new trend of cars coming that could be road going ESP, SM, CP,XP SSM class older Muscle cars on 200 tread ware .Not a National Class but could be used in your regional National Tour Solo 2 I think.I'm just a local San Diego Autocrosser.

Our next event in San Diego is 25,26 QUALCOMM stadium if anyone is interested. Half to 2/3 of a mile course.On slopes and flat area.25th is preregister practice.26 is walk up

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Callahan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by avewhtboy View Post
      Sounds pretty interesting to me but I would hate to need to ad 500lbs of balast to my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post
      Are you thinking your car will weigh 2500# ?
      whoa! super race car, I need to find all those secret lighting tips! the faster my car gets the heavier it seems to become?

I will have to add 300 lbs to the falcon, unless the weight is with driver??

THe 3000lb isn't set in stone.(Alternate minimum weights may be considered)CAM is written that you can adopt other ways in your region. 3000lb and up is what is used in CP cars using more then 5.1 liters..2700 under 5.0..You could say live axle 5.0 liter and smaller none turbo push rod engines cars are at minimum of 2700lb with interior etc..These issues are being debated now in our region..and it's 3weeks to next event.
      There is even a Tweeked SM formula that can be used.Bryce You have heard this all from me before...LOL Some peoples ears are burning after hearing it from me so many times.. Will we see you next event and make some calls to see how things are laying out for CAM SD

You can also look at it as, Less reason for finding ways of losing weight and more time autocrossing it...
      Tract time track time

BTW Some say you don't need so many rules but Competitive minded need them.Competition is in the details

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
      I will have to add 300 lbs to the falcon, unless the weight is with driver??

With the SCCA the weight always includes the driver unless otherwise noted in class rules, so yes, CAM is 3000# including driver.

Remember that CAM's rules essentially mimic Goodguys and American Street Car Series rules so any "gaps or omissions" are there because that's what others are doing. The 3000# truly has come at the request of competitors from those series. It's really the only big deviation the SCCA has made in contrast to those other series. SCCA wrote into the rules flexibility so Regions can tailor CAM what their situations demand. My only suggestion to Regions would be to give the rules a chance as they stand at first. From chatter I've seen people are worried about situations that don't exist yet and given what is seen in current series hasn't been an issue.
      Dave Dusterberg
      http://www.facebook.com/camchallengeeast
      1979 Aspen R/T (under construction soon to be #19 CAM/T)
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T
      2005 Mustang GT #19 CAM/C

Quote Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
      My only suggestion to Regions would be to give the rules a chance as they stand at first. .
      Wait, we are supposed to try it BEFORE we say it sucks?? That's absurd, why do we have internetz for then?

Chicago region sounds like a go for CAM as it is currently written.....I will run there when I can.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Kansas City Region is going to use CAM as well, as written no year split (for now). .830 is better than what I ran with last year in SM, guess that's the street tire factor.
      Lance

WE already have 7 to 15 pro-touring cars running with us per event. Closer to 20 if you count the ones that show up in 12 months that are 1976 and older.Thats without having a official PT class .But we have managed to always have them in a class together.They have asked for a class for over a year.Having CAM as a suggested class shown in the rule book has pushed that through.They have asked for things for a year we are meeting them with those requests.Most all came from GG events but overtime several wanted something more structured.Thats why they like the SCCA.You know the more people that get involved the more complicated it gets.And that's all good we have a growing PT group.

For a all in one year CAM.that allows Vetts.Well I'm thinking 2014 Stingray.with 170 entries per event we have a number of Vetts that would put the sting on even the 750hp DSE subframed Camaros at our event.Search our threads of San Diego, all come run with us sometime.

A guy in our region brought that up as well, about the Vettes. He suggested making a split between the 2 seat CAM cars and 4 seat CAM cars.

I'd much rather do that than split the class up by model year.
      Lance

Stop SCCA-izing the ruleset you guys! ;-) You should all be thankful for the opportunity to run against an 80" wheelbase, 60" wide, AWD, 65% rear weight, giant-wing'd, giant-tired, formula-car suspended, "t-bucket", right?

MAy be stupid question but how would this effect cars with classic or antique plates??

I plan to switch mine to an antique using original 70s license plate but also plan to drive mine allot (theirs about 3 car shows in a given area code in a day ) so i can technically still drive it everday
      technically car is still licensed and insured
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

In responce to J-rho I forgot to click "Reply to Quote"

That sounds like the Roadster bodied Subaru at GG events.People have had issues of it being vintage... I don't know where that would fit if SCCA classed,XP,EM maybe only AM not American Based but has American replica body.CAM? I don't think so.It runs GG so that question will come up.The 3000lb rule helps there because the fiberglass body doesn't weight much.AWD is a awesome autocross platform.

Thinking back to reading CAM rules.This vehicle would be out,Only RWD allowed.That clears out that question.

George, the point is, the rules are way too open. At present they allow for something way beyond what anybody in the Pro-Touring scene is actually doing. It would have been easy to exclude obvious class-killing elements (size, weight distribution, aero)...why they didn't is a mystery...but one that keeps an essentially perfect car/driver candidate for the class on the sidelines, until this thing returns from planet Clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by j-rho View Post
      George, the point is, the rules are way too open. At present they allow for something way beyond what anybody in the Pro-Touring scene is actually doing. It would have been easy to exclude obvious class-killing elements (size, weight distribution, aero)...why they didn't is a mystery...but one that keeps an essentially perfect car/driver candidate for the class on the sidelines, until this thing returns from planet Clueless.
      Jason please don't take this the wrong way, but I think the fact there is a class, ANY class (however flawed in your eyes), to attract more pro-touring types to the Q, it's a good thing. We have been running at the Q all last year in our old cars in SU, so now that there are no winged Miatas in our class it's got to be better. We would love it if you would stop by one of these events in the Camaro, but even if you don't make it I know already we will have more cool old muscle in CAM than we had in SU.

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com