Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Fresh Meat

Country Flag: United States

Fresh Meat

Greetings from another world.... I am new to D.F.I.....Please be gentle..!

I recently acquired an Accel-DFI-gen-7 / 8 Stack fuel injected Ford 302 SVO / W/GT40 Heads, AOD/Trans and I need advice on the install.

The engine/trans was in a '57 Ford for some time and supposedly ran quite well.

My plans are to install this combination into a 1926 Ford Tudor/Phaeton.... I never claimed to be practical...!

I plan to have Cobra Style/Hot rod side pipes. "X-Pipes or such" would be impractical, But.....?

My question is: The "Plug and Play" Accel harness provides for only one 0-2 sensor. How do you Cobra Guys/Side Pipe Exhaust cars locate said 0-2 Sensor? Now Be Nice...!

My thoughts are to install a "Cross-Over" pipe between the Headers using the "Flange" connections in this photo <http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Block-Ford-289-351W-Lake-Style-Headers-Plain-Steel-Finish,7989.html> Weld a "Bung" on this pipe for the 0-2 Sensor. Will the exhaust become trapped in said cross-over and give false info to the Sensor...?

Has this been done...? did it work...? should I join the real world...? am I on the wrong forum...?

..bj..
      Last edited by 5nake01l; 12-19-2013 at 02:54 AM. Reason: additional text

Just put it in one side. No need for a crossover. The 3 o'clock position would work if you have clearance to the frame/body. Us corvette guys usually squeeze them in around the 4 o'clock position because the frame is in the way. Not ideal for o2 sensor longevity, but it works and looks better than sticking straight up on the sidepipe.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      Just put it in one side. No need for a crossover. The 3 o'clock position would work if you have clearance to the frame/body. Us corvette guys usually squeeze them in around the 4 o'clock position because the frame is in the way. Not ideal for o2 sensor longevity, but it works and looks better than sticking straight up on the sidepipe.
      Thanks for the reply.

Just plant it in the collector..?

Great..!!

..bj..

Country Flag: Canada
      This sounds really cool and would like to see some pictures.
      Todd
      '14 ZL1, 6 speed and 6.2L of Super Charged Awesome!
      '67 Camaro SS in process. A long, slow, expensive trip...

How hard can it be...

Project Obsession
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ject-Obsession

Quote Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
      This sounds really cool and would like to see some pictures.
      Todd, thanks for your interest but I'm just collecting parts so far....

1926 Ford Tudor....

302 SVO/Alum GT40 heads, Accel 8 Stack....

The '32 rolling chassis should be ready by Feb '14....?

I am not having any luck with the pix.... sorry.

..bj..

I'm interested in some pics too. This sounds cool.

The O2 sensor can be put in the collector of one side as suggested. The Gen 7 is a good setup.

Everything sounds good but I think you could go with better heads if you plan to use that stack setup. The 8 stack intake is bad ass and I wish I had one but it isn't really suited to that setup with GT40's and an AOD. Don't get me wrong, it'll work. It's just not the optimal setup for the engine/trans combo. Keep it, build the AOD into a non electronic AODE (manual would be my choice but...)with some 3.70 or higher gear and go with a 331 stroker and some 180-220cc heads and it'd be a monster setup.

Or, just leave it as is and enjoy. I tend to spend more time working on and perfecting things than I do enjoying them. If the car is light weight, you'll be fine.

Best of luck and keep updating the post so we can see. This is different and that's what makes it cool and interesting.

Dave
      63 Fairlane 4 door (R&C MII, Vortech Si, 4.6 DOHC/4R70W,8.8")
      02 F250 7.3 with a few things done to it.
      We've turned from a Nation of We, to a country of me's.

Fresh Meat

I'm with 427sbc. When we put the 02 sensor in my sidepiped Vette, we mounted it on the passengers side pipe just aft of the collector, around the 8 o'clock position.