Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Help! Need some direction. Must get daily Truck back moving

Hi guys: (Sorry for the 911)

I just lost the 454 out of my Daily Drive. 1997 K2500 Suburban. It died with 210k (RIP), but it was an off road, road trip, Tractor Hauling Beast.

With the Rancho Suspension, Heavest Bumpers I could find in case I got stuck, Winch, Lights, Hauling Rack, Nerf Steps, 34 inch KDW's, the truck itself probably weighed 8-9k pounds. The Trailor I pulled is primary for my tractor/projects/other peoples projects etc. The trailer loaded was just shy of 12k.

The 454 had everything that Banks used to make for a BBC which should have had the torque in the 550 pound feet, and Hp about 450.

Between the programming of the computer, cool air Box, Headers, 3 inch exhaust it was marginal from a "Felt Safety" feeling when trying to pull my big trailer. You didn't want to see a car anywhere close before you started to attend HWY speed.

4L80e Tranny (Slipping badly)

Ran a 12 Bolt 4:11 Posi in the rear
      =======================
      Problem: (Other than the obvious) If I buy a slightly used truck of similar size I will have to do a hell of a lot of work and spend $$$ to it to bring it up to where my current truck is, plus buying the truck (2-3 year old)

Would like to see if I could get into a large displacement LSx of some number, and buy at the same time a 6L80e for it. (The current 4L80e is slipping pretty bad and will need to be taken down soon and repaired/replaced)

Anyone know who could do this and/or sells kits to do this?

I don't need a 118 Octane Race Engine, just a Hoss for the Street/Dirt. I would like to be able to get it at least near passing inspection, I can always pay a fine or game the system if necessary however.

Would like to try and keep budget turn key in the 12-15k range if possible. I know what I want, what's possible might be another thing. In any case I have to get this thing up and moving yesterday.

Option:

Buy another BBC (Top end is gone on the right bank (2-4-6-8), Bottom end may have followed suit) I just haven't dug through it enough, however I know got big problems.

===========================
      Very Very Important.

Which ever way I go I need to have the truck not necessarily need any odd that would keep the Truck from being dependable.

Installation of either engine, engine/tranny needs to be as plug and play as possible. Would prefer to just pay someone to do it. I have cars in verias stages of completion and this needs hard yesterday deadline.

Please give me your best shots if you have the time.

Names and links would be a mechanical wet dream.

I live just North of Dallas Texas if you know someone who has also done/does the conversions, please don't be shy.

Thanks in advance,

Ty O'Neal

Country Flag: United States
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

If you want quick and easy I'd just go down to GM and buy a crate long block 496 or have your old engine rebuilt and beefed up. Both less than 10K
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Thanks Anrew:

I'll look further into this and see where a good place to buy the engine itself. The insights were good I just didn'see anywhere to bay one.

Thanks,'

Ty

I've been leaning in that direction, but I'm trying to find 600+ ft lbs. of torque.

Maybe a with a "Wipple" on top I'd be set.

Thanks,

Ty

Quote Originally Posted by tyoneal View Post
      I've been leaning in that direction, but I'm trying to find 600+ ft lbs. of torque.

Maybe a with a "Wipple" on top I'd be set.

Thanks,

Ty
      I'm not really sure the whipple will be the way to go for this particular application. They can make big torque and hp but only in short bursts with the 2.9L, the intercooler sucks and won't flow large amounts of water. The 4.0L has a good intercooler but you have to redo the fittings on the front to get it to an acceptable amount of water but the drive on the 4.0L is less than ideal imho because it hangs so far off the end of the crank. We've done a fair amount of dyno testing with both blowers and they're both good for about 7-8 sec blasts (in as delivered configuration) at wot before the IAT's start rising high enough for the ecu to start yanking the timing out. If you start a long pull up a hill/mountain you could loose a few hundred hp by the time you reach the top.

I think your 12-15K budget is going to be a problem for you to do this and have it live any length of time.
      If it were me I would buy a crate 450 hp 502, rebuild the 4l80, and live with it at least then you reuse all of your accessories.

The best solution imho is to just buy a diesel truck or convert yours to diesel as suggested earlier.

Here's a 625 hp / 640 ft lb crate engine from Shafiroff for $10.6k minus carb and ignition which you won't need.

http://www.ultrastreet.net/engines/540_realstreet.php

Also the 502 deluxe GM crate engine is a good option. 502 hp / 502 ft lb. Pace Performance has it at $9k.

http://paceperformance.com/i-6254913...te-engine.html

Jegs has the same GM 502 crate engine for $53 more but with free shipping so cheaper net.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...01332/10002/-1
      Last edited by tonykim; 12-20-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: add a link
      89 Supercharged Saleen 352 rwhp, 93 Mustang LX 347 stroker 420 rwhp daily driver, 78 Firebird, 69 Opel Kadett Rallye ex-SCCA track car..."everyone needs to own a 4-bbl 4 cylinder once"