Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Engine Torque Strap Ideas?????

Hi guys,

I am going through round 2 of modifications to my 65 Olds 442. Round one went well with only a few minor bugs to work out, but one that I am stumped on is this:
      I am running a 468 BBO, this time we are going with a roller cam, CNC ported heads etc etc. Before the teardown this fall the car ran really good but you all know that never ending search for HP. Last time out I had issues with the engine moving a little more than I would like it to, that 455 with headers is a TIGHT fit any way you go about it, in reverse my headers are banging into the steering shaft, in drive it was pressing the header into the A-Arm. I would like some ideas for torque straps/limiters that will look good as well as function to stop the motor from moving as much in reverse and forward. This is a street car and I want to keep the vibration down to a minimal.

Thanks

Could you do an extra motor Mount like this some how and put rubber bushings between that and the frame to minimize vibration? Or won't something like this work?

1997 Chevrolet C1500 LSX powered full autocross build

An effective torque strap will still transmit vibration, although intermittantly as it is working... On the van I plan to use one solid mount on the drivers side with a poly mount on the passenger side and a poly trans mount. I got the suggestion from someone here. Should work great and it will keep the drivers side from moving around.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

You can also drill the center of the Olds motor mounts and put a bolt and nut with washers there to keep the mount from pulling apart/separating. Otherwise, use a turnbuckle with rod ends to one of the front accessory mount bolt holes on the drivers side, weld some tabs to the frame.
      Luke
      '63 Chevy II wagon - project

Quote Originally Posted by 83hurstguy View Post
      You can also drill the center of the Olds motor mounts and put a bolt and nut with washers there to keep the mount from pulling apart/separating
      ^^This works well. You can use a Stover or Nylock nut to to leave the bolt slightly loose, preloaded, or anywhere in between. That part you have to play with to avoid NVH.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

I could do something like this and fab up something to where it functions for the Oldsmobile

http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-204.htm

I have a torq brace from summit on my pro st 55 with a 1200 hp blown big block, but it also has all solid mounts. I don't mind noise and vibration but it does not seem to make much for what is anyway.
      I have seen plenty of cable straps used.

i've used steel cable, turn buckles, chain, solid mounts, and now a motor plate, everyone of these transmit some sort of vibration. there are a few companies that sell torque staps for the Olds 455, but i really like the motor plate, it also serves to stiffen up the front end along with holding the motor firm in place, i've broken a few motor mounts with my 455 and the last time that happened it took out the air cleaner on the hood.

I've use a motorcycle ratcheting strap on the driver's side. It won't transmit any vibrations and will gently stretch as it keeps the engine in place.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Back in the 70's there were not a lot of choices for motor mounts like there is today. I can remember my dad purchased a new 69 GMC C15 and a year or so later the LH engine mount broke while towing our boat. He had the mount replaced under warranty and the dealership also added a tie down cable on the LH side. Apparently that was a factory fix for broken mounts.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

A well balanced motor with solid motor mounts will not vibrate your teeth out like the myth has said for so long... I have solid motor mounts on my corvette and my fathers '55 chevy. You would never guess they had solid motor mounts. There was a very noticeable difference in ride (for the better!) due to the additional frame stiffness.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Back in the 70's there were not a lot of choices for motor mounts like there is today. I can remember my dad purchased a new 69 GMC C15 and a year or so later the LH engine mount broke while towing our boat. He had the mount replaced under warranty and the dealership also added a tie down cable on the LH side. Apparently that was a factory fix for broken mounts.
      IIRC, it was a factory recall for stuck throttles resulting from broken motor mounts
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com