Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: Canada

Spork82's 68 Mustang Fastback

Hey PT,

Starting a PT/Restomod build of my 1968 Mustang FB that I have owned since 1998. I had just finished grade 10 and wanted a muscle car and we had a line on one down in Bakersfield. So my dad, two uncles, 1 cousin my brother and I piled into a crammed F150 Crewcab and started the long drive from Abbotsford to Bakersfield (Abbotsford is 50min east of Vancouver BC). This was not a easy road trip, coming into California the transmission in the truck decided to grenade itself and left us stranded in Yreka CA during a US long weekend. I think that stop alone cost double what I paid for the car! $4500 for the transmission and $100 for the hotel and back on our way. We made a pit stop in Salinas and us kids stayed with family while my dad and uncles drove non-stop to Bakersfield. I remember seeing the car for the first time, as exited as I was all I could think was "That's it?"

The car was in primer and the previous owner began restoring it, the inside of the car was stuffed full of parts and boxes. It was complete and rust free. I think it had been parked since the early/mid 80's indoors.

Back in those days my parents owned an autobody shop, when it got slow it was a side project for everyone to spend some time and get it ready for paint. Back then a straight forward restoration was planned, keep the 302 and C4 paint it the factory red and call it a day. In 2000 my parents sold the business and the car never got painted (Thank god, red would have been a bad idea) and it moved into storage. I was still into Mustangs at the time and I remember racing at the local 1/4 mile track and getting spanked by a 91 Civic. I was running 14.0 and he was deep into the 13's. I thought it was the weirdest/coolest thing, I never knew Honda's could do that haha. I quickly jumped ship from domestics to Honda's and entrenched myself in the import world.

I took a restomod approach to Honda's, simple oem clean look on the outside and spent all the money on the driveline and suspension. We had some of the fastest imports in the area. At this time the 68 wasn't even a blimp on the radar. I didn't want anything to do with it and toyed with selling it many times over the years.

From about 2006-2010 I didn't work or build any cars, I was too busy with life and was tired of breaking parts racing and driving uncomfortable cars. I traded my Subaru WRX for a 97 Civic and got the bug to build. I spent almost a year building the civic into a really cool car with rare jdm parts and super fun to drive. Looking back I would say it would have been a perfect PT car of the Japanese world.

It lasted 5 months, the battery took a dump and fried the electrical and the part out began. I planned on selling it off and selling the mustang to get money for a down payment on a house and my girlfriend/fiancé refused to let me sell my mustang, the civic she couldn't care less haha. She knew deep down I would be kicking myself for selling it and never be able to find a replacement. September 2012 the dust was blown off, garage kind of semi sorted and in order, I put in an order for a bunch of parts and started tearing the 68 apart.

My fiancé gave me a deadline, August 2015 to have it done in time for our wedding....You heard it hear PT, she gave me a deadline to have it running with a really relaxed budget that in the year since I started working on it she has only asked once about how much I have spent!

Build specs:

Chassis/Suspension

Rod & Customs MII front clip
      Rod & Customs 4-link rear
      Subframe connectors
      Coilovers

Brakes/Wheels

Wilwood 12.19" 6 piston - Fronts
      Wilwood 11" 4 piston - Rear w/internal parking brake
      Wilwood triple master cylinder pedal setup - Manual brakes, Hydro clutch
      18x8 245/35R18 - Front
      18x9.5 275/35R18 - Rear

Electronics

American Autowire Harness
      Power windows
      Vintage Air
      Electric parking brake

Driveline

Original 302 bored .030"
      T5z transmission
      Hydraulic clutch
      8.8" Ford rear end with Eaton posi, 373 gears and narrowed 2"
      Fast EZ EFI MPFI
      Aeromotive Stealth EFI Fuel tank

Interior

OEM styled with modern updates
      Recaro seats
      Speedhut gauges
      Matched rear seat

Paint/Body

Toying with a couple colour ideas
      BMW Alpine white
      Aston Martin silvers/gunmetal

I don't want it to look like an Eleanor clone or knock off. One decision I have made is there is to be ZERO chrome on the car. Anything that is chrome will be painted matte or satin black.

Pictures!

Name:  IMG_0028.JPG
Views: 3911
Size:  321.2 KB
      Old rear suspension out
      Name:  IMG_0030.JPG
Views: 3849
Size:  400.0 KB
      Installing RC 4-Link
      Name:  IMG_0047.JPG
Views: 3860
Size:  208.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_0046.JPG
Views: 3760
Size:  268.4 KB
      Test fitting the 8.8
      Name:  IMG_0058.JPG
Views: 3706
Size:  262.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_0059.JPG
Views: 3729
Size:  223.0 KB
      Mocked up the rear brakes for fun
      Name:  IMG_0060.JPG
Views: 3692
Size:  198.4 KB
      Narrowing the rear housing, a very crude method but effective. Used a sleeve kit from Forte's parts
      Name:  IMG_0090.JPG
Views: 3696
Size:  266.6 KB
      Tacked in place, to be completely welded by my friend
      Name:  IMG_0091.JPG
Views: 3887
Size:  304.7 KB
      Rear end assembly - Painted with POR-15, Custom axles from Dutchman - Excellent guys to deal with!
      Name:  IMG_0266.jpg
Views: 3690
Size:  144.3 KBName:  IMG_0268.jpg
Views: 3810
Size:  141.3 KB
      Bent my own lines, they will be re-done in stainless
      Name:  IMG_0269.JPG
Views: 3700
Size:  255.7 KBName:  IMG_0270.JPG
Views: 3743
Size:  346.3 KB
      Wilwood's on!
      Name:  IMG_0272.jpg
Views: 3695
Size:  126.2 KBName:  IMG_0273.JPG
Views: 3642
Size:  242.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_0275.JPG
Views: 3639
Size:  273.8 KBName:  IMG_0276.JPG
Views: 3606
Size:  203.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_0281.jpg
Views: 3616
Size:  98.6 KB

I have a lot more pictures and the front end is about 95% complete I will post those soon enough!

Nice! Keep us posted, it's nice to see another Ford on here.

73 Maverick Grabber Project

My never ending project:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hlight=grabber

Like the choice of car, but im bias.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I know I have been slacking on pictures and progress but the car was dropped off on March 31st at the body shop to finish up the bodywork and paint!

Name:  IMG_0112.JPG
Views: 3082
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0115.JPG
Views: 3113
Size:  36.1 KB

Decided at this point to smooth over the firewall

Mock up of the front suspension and steering

Front brakes for mock up and inspiration to continue on

Next is modifying the pedal area for the Wilwood super pedal setup

I love my plasma cutter!

Bent up some new metal and tacked in place

Pedals mounted

Had to make a 1/2" spacer to move the master's away from the firewall, couldn't quite get the reservoirs on

Motor back in for fun! Tons of room!

Made some new brake lines. Everything passes through the inside of the car. Clean firewall

Paint and body work pictures.

Just before it went into the shop

Decided that my welding of the patch panels for the shock towers was more or less horrible haha, so the decision was made to replace the rad support and get some MTF engine bay panels.

Black! Engine bay and interior sprayed in semi gloss black, they call it hotrod black

Floors were not painted since they were previously primed

Suspension bits painted

Inners painted and car assembled for paint

In the BOOTH!

Colour on!

Loves how it changes, this picture was taken at the same time as the one above but from a different angle

Outside before I trailer her home

In the driveway with current wheels. I will see if I will keep them or get new one. A close friend of mine works at Fikse hehe

Currently I have the dash installed and completed with Dakota Digital VHX gauges, plumbing the Vintage Air and wiring the car with American Autowire.

Country Flag: United States
      Awesome.... I am planning on using the R&C 4 Link in the rear of my Mach. Any idea if you'll be able to run exhaust out the back? The guys at R&C I spoke to said if I run it now, I should be able to once the 4 link is in, but no guarantees...
      Ron -
      1970 Mach1
      440 RWHP, 428 RWTQ
      Calypso Coral, 357W, T5Z 5-speed,
      Edelbrock 454 17x8 Wheels, 255x40x17 rear, 215x45x17 front, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71, TCP Coilovers Front, Global West Del-A-Lum Bushings,Global West Adj. Strut Rods, Wilwood Discs All around

It will be a tight fit but it can be done. Here is a link I found with the same discussion http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...uspension.html

What color is that on the car? It is beautiful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by driveit View Post
      What color is that on the car? It is beautiful!!!

I actually stole it from a co-workers car, she drive a Mini Cooper....its called Thunder Blue

Awesome color!

Awesome build! Just realized you are very close to me! I'm in Maple Ridge! I'm building a 67 Pro Touring Fastback, Roadster Shop Fastrax IFS Clip, DSE Rear Quadralink and Rouscharged coyote engine! would love to check out your project some time! cheers
      Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixr320 View Post
      Awesome color!
      Thanks man, just looked up your Falcon that is one awesome car!

Quote Originally Posted by 67greengt View Post
      Awesome build! Just realized you are very close to me! I'm in Maple Ridge! I'm building a 67 Pro Touring Fastback, Roadster Shop Fastrax IFS Clip, DSE Rear Quadralink and Rouscharged coyote engine! would love to check out your project some time! cheers
      Tom
      Ya were super close! No problem send me a pm and come on by, yours sounds like a complete beast!

Looking good. Always love a 67-68 fastbacks. Great color too!
      1969 S Code MACH 1

All time favorite car is a 67 Shelby, with 67-68 ford fastback mustangs being a very close second... great job, coming together way nice.

this thing should handle those BC roads no problem! Car is coming along great!
      Build Thread!!!https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?88692-1971-Speedipus-Rex&p=925864&posted=1#post925864

Spork82's 68 Mustang Fastback

Thanks guys, been a long time coming to get it this far. I would like to have it done by the end of the year/early 2015 so I can work out any bugs.

Been wiring like crazy, I would like to take the time and give a huge thank you and shout out to SJAROSLO aka Steve. The AAW is in and 90% complete. All thats left to wire is windows, alarm, EFI, stereo.

I've decided to run double batteries in the trunk, Kinetik HC600's for their small foot print. I'm not putting in a big stereo, simple 4ch amp with some 6.5" and 6x9's. For the price can't beat the Kinetik's.

Last night I ordered a bunch of stereo/amp wiring and connections, distribution blocks etc.

With the AAW harness and a Mini Starter (built in solenoid, works like the Ford fender mounted unit) should I still run a Ford style ignition solenoid in the trunk or under the dash? Trying to avoid a mess of wires.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com