Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

'Maybelline' 1963 Corvette Convertible

Meet 'Maybelline', a 1963 Convertible that has been named such due to all previous repairs being either covered up or misrepresented..."Maybe It's Maybelline"...as the commercial so states!

Well, initially I thought I had a nice 63 convertible with a 67 theme (performed by a previous owner) to work with and due to that, I had planned to build the car into an L88 clone. However, after fully inspecting the car it quickly became apparent that everything I was told about it was false. While the car still retains it's 63 VIN spot welded in place, I have to wonder if this poor car once resided on the bottom of an Ocean somewhere?!? Either way, it doesn't much matter now, I am repairing the car and it will become something special, but no longer an L88 clone!

As purchased. Pictures can be deceiving!

[/IMG]

My first find was that the luggage rack extensions had been cut, for some odd reason, and that the luggage stop was missing!!!

Something fishy was going on here! Initially I thought someone had taken the front of a passenger sill/rocker channel and installed it on the rear of the passenger side. HOWEVER, it turned out that the donor rocker section that was spliced in was rotten at the rear and someone had taken the front portion of either a passenger or driver rocker channel and had poorly attempted to weld it into the donor rocker section to provide a solid rear section for the # 3 body mount.

Initially, I thought the rust in the birdcage wasn't horrendous, but it would still need a small amount of repair. The very honest seller(heavy tone of sarcasm), told me it only needed one section repaired in the sill and it was about an 8 hour job...sure, removing the front end, repairing the outer windshield areas, and replacing the driver sill and fabricating steel and reinforcing the lower a pillar is an 8 hour job....times 20.

I decided to do a little exploratory surgery and remove the front end. It only took about 3 hours to remove it. Somebody had definitely been all over this car previously!!!

The car ended up needing to have all fiberglass removed to repair the birdcage, so I slowly removed everything.
      Here is what was left of the internal body mount support on the firewall end piece.

The rust was a bit worse than I thought.

Here is some of the outstanding work that somebody did in the past...apparently they did not have a clue how to weld or did not have the right equipment to weld. That glob is a pile of mig wire.

I removed the firewall. I didn't initially realize there were 3 rivets hiding under the mass of bonding adhesive in the middle of the firewall panel at the cross over section between the wiper cowls.

The passenger side channel and pillar were replaced already and somebody did a really crappy job of patching the section, from what looks to be a 65 car, in place. They also did a really crappy job of welding the z-bar back in place, so i broke it loose.

The fiberglass was literally holding the driver's side pillar in place. If I had rocked the pillar back and forth a few more times, i have no doubt that it would have broken off at the bottom from the original rocker channel. Fortunately, another forum member had a pillar that he sold me that was solid in the lower portion and which I could take metal from to repair the original driver's pillar.

I find it interesting how the rust is concentrated to only the lower portion. I believe this must mean that the car was driven for a long period of time in area that had salted roads. The way the metal is corroded reminds me of salt air damage I see at the Gulf Coast.

I had to fix the z bar where "Cletus" had cut it from the center connecting bracket and the passenger hinge pillar while replacing the passenger rocker and pillar from another car. The gray pillar fiberglass dated march 1965 on the passenger side, the 6 holes in the sill, and the dark green paint still remaining on one portion of the pillar glass indicated that the frame graft was from a 65 Donor. The connecting bracket was cut loose and then welded back on crooked. I cut it loose and then drilled out all spot welds.

Weld through primer and plug welds. I smoothed out all the plug welds after all welding was completed.

The birdcage sitting on the 67 Chassis it came with.

I replaced the luggage stop ends, which someone had cut up for some reason, and installed the luggage stop. Now the rear is set up correctly and is stable. The next step will be to replace the rocker channel.

Step 1 was to drill out the spot welds on the old end pieces.

New pieces compared to the old. I really dont understand why someone cut the end pieces up, but i assume it was to remove the center luggage stop. They must have overlooked the 4 rivets.

New metal!!! I decided to plug weld the luggage stop in place to make it stronger instead of using rivets.

I installed the new rocker channel and repaired the pillar.

Here you can see where someone attempted to repair the old rocker channel by splicing in a decent rear section from another car.

The hinge pillars are not reproduced. Fortunately, I put an ad out for a pillar and found one that would work. The one I found was rotten at the top, but solid at the bottom. Mine is solid at the top and rotten at the bottom, so I removed the metal I needed from the other pillar and spliced it into the one original to the car. After much thought, I decided it would be best to overlap the metal for strength.

My welds are not the prettiest, but it will look nice once they are smoothed out.

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse1a7116a.jpg

Well, I ended up needing another $1100.00 worth of metal for the cage! Whoever replaced the original passenger hinge pillar did not drill out the spot welds and graft in the metal correctly. Instead, they cut the windshield frame in two places, as seen below in the pictures, and then welded in the donor section with a portion of it's windshield frame. The passenger pillar is leaned in 3 degrees and the windshield frame is crooked. I put the windshield from the split window in place to check the alignment and once in place, it confirmed that things were out of whack. It is so tight at the bottom the glass and rubber barely squeezed into place.

Outside of windshield frame where it was cut then very poorly welded back together.

Interior portion of windshield frame. This was all covered up by filler.

Here is where the second cut was made.

The bad portions of the windshield frame are now out. Unfortunately the lower channel was not in stock, so I am going to be forced to wait a little while for it to arrive.

This spot weld cutter bit from eastwood makes drilling out the spot welds a thousand times easier than using regular drill bits.

Unfortunately the pillar is in worse shape than i thought and will require a repair section on the top. I knew it needed a small repair, but I didn't realize quite how pitted it was underneath the windshield frame.

I thought these welds were made by someone messing with the windshield frame, but after looking the assembly manual i see that arc welds were used on the center sections of the outer metal, while spot welds were used on the edges. So, that is a relief...at least the upper portion and driver's side is unmolested.

I separated the old left inner windshield pillar from the original left outer pillar(the outer was still in good shape) and replaced it with a new piece.

Old vs. New

I then cleaned the rust out of the internal portion of the outer pillar and upper hinge pillar and applied three coats of SPI epoxy so there will be no further rust.

The new piece fits incredibly well...just as well as the original. Im impressed to say the least!

Here is how well it fits. It's hard to even tell where the seam is between the original outer and new inner metal.

I also test fit the outer and inner pieces to the passenger side and they line up very well! Next up I will repair the top of the pillar and then the only thing holding me back from finishing up the cage is the arrival of the lower channel and the windshield.

Oh the things we do for the toys we love. Good looking work.

Chris

Chris
      1967 ElCamino
      2004 Chevy SSR (my sons)
      1951 Chevy pickup(my sons)

1967 Elky https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...587-Evil-Angel

1951 truck https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...3-year-old-son

Quote Originally Posted by bmbrzmn101 View Post
      Oh the things we do for the toys we love. Good looking work.

Chris
      Thanks!

I think I have officially done as much as I can possibly do before the lower channel shows up.
      I spent 5 hours today repairing the top of the pillar where it was rotten and lining up the metal with the windshield in place. It finally looks like everything is in the right place.

Pictures of the rotten portions of the top hat on the passenger hinge pillar. I cut out a section from the top of the donor driver's pillar and spliced it into the passenger pillar. It is very solid now!

Top of passenger pillar repaired. The gray on the parts is weld through primer. I've been using an assortment of wire wheels and grinding blades to remove the rust from the metal before making repairs. However, Im not stripping anything else because i plan to take the cage to the blasters as soon as all repairs are completed.

Last piece of metal came in! I ran out of welding gas, so the repair will have to wait till this weekend, but everything is at least temporarily clamped in place.

I finished up the cage over the weekend and then dropped it off to be soda blasted on Monday. I'm going to paint over the black epoxy with green zinc oxide paint(ordered 4 cans today) so the cage will have the factory look.

I had one very old can of green oxide paint, so I sprayed a little bit of the cage.

Whew! That was rough road there - good on you for seeing it through. So, not an L88, but what are the plans?
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

I've already ordered the sriii chassis, so that is in the works. However, once the floor pan, firewall, pillar and hinge fiberglass are back in place, this car is going to need to take a break in the back of the garage while I finish the other cars that are ahead of it. I guess I will figure out what engine I want to use when the time comes, but it is hard to beat the LS motors.

Wow! I thought I took my car to the bare bones..........lol

Cage is now in Zinc Chromate Primer and ready for the bonding strips to go back in place. I found the brand I used, called Moeller, did not spray well at all. Two cans were ok, but the other two splattered all over the place regardless of how much i shook them or how many times i cleaned the nozzle. Not super impressed with the Moeller brand due to the way the cans sprayed, but the color is very close to the original.

I have a question for ya - what difference does it make what the color is?

Nice work, nonetheless.
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com