Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Who makes a good A-Body spindle?

I'm just getting back into modifying the suspension on my GM A-Body. Back in the day there was no name for what we were doing and you had to use the spindles off of a B-Body or a 73-77 A body to get camber gain. So far, I see that Detroit Speed & ridetech offer tall / drop spindles. I don't know if the DSE spindles are compatible w/ stock A-arms or even available separately. My car is completely original (currently) and I'm looking to upgrade it to disc brakes and correct the suspension geometry without going overboard.

I know I will need;
      Spindles
      Springs
      Shocks
      Swaybars
      Bushings
      and possibly Rear Link Arms

I'm not looking for the cheap way out, just don't want to spend more that necessary. Like do I need tubular lower A-arms? The complete kits offered by some of the Mfg offer optimum performance / guaranteed compatibility, but the cost is pretty steep.

1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

don't waste you time trying to piece something together to try and save a few dollars, your just asking for a headache. just bite the bullet and buy a complete setup from one of the bigger companies making the parts like ridetech, SpeedTech, or DSE and it will all bolt together and just work like its supposed to, and you will be so happy you did. I bought the ride tech stuff for my Chevelle and everything just worked together and is all built really nice.

There are a couple vendors on here that sell these parts and can get you a really good deal on the parts, I recommend talking to the guys over at Matt's Classic Bowties (MCB Matt). They are always running forum members specials and are easy to deal with. I have bought several items from them at some pretty steep discounts.

Thanks ChevelleNV, I was checking out the ridetech kits. I'm all for buying a kit or at least compatible parts from one manufacturer. I'll take a look at your build thread.

My build thread is really outdated... has posted on it in almost a year....

i dunno about buyig a kit as theirs always something you may not like about it..such as spindle design, or the bundles swaybars or w/e

The 2 best spindles to consider is the ATS afx spindles by Speedtech and the spindles from L&H kustoms
      If you def plan to go 17+ go speedtech
      if you want to stick with 14s/15 or switch like to swithcbetween 14/15 to 17+ then L&H
      if you plan to go airride then obviously go with their spindles as its made to work the best together
      you can always just rock stock spindles and go taller upper/lower BJ

The kit i pieced together was
      Stock disc spindles w/ stock steering arms
      taller upper/lower BJ through SC&C
      spc upper/lower arms
      DSE front splined sway bar
      Hotchkis steering components

Full Rear DSE kit
      spc drop springs with hp1000 shocks all around
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

Thanks for the leads. I do like the ATS/Speedtech spindles, but I'm not going after market brakes on this car. I'm just starting to develop this in my head and I haven't seen all the products out there yet. So far I like the ridetech Spindle w/ stock lower A-arm and maybe a after market upper. The DSE rear links are top of my list. I need to catch up on the new technology and products. I crewed on circle track cars for years and most were 68-72 base cars. There are all kinds of products from Coleman, Howe, and other stock car/circle track outfits, but some of the stuff like adjustable pin mono balls are not suitable for the street.

If your not trying to get 2 inches of drop from the spindle then just use your stock spindles with tall ball joints. The tall spindles like ridetechs need to be used with their upper arms to see any gain from them. The tall ball joint swap is easy, cheap and works well.

With the tall ball joints you need a arms designed for it like spc arms. A lot of people are doing it with stock a arms but its not the right way. BTW I have talked to Mark about this cause I was going to do the tall ball joints.
      http://www.youtube.com/user/cutlassrkt?feature=mhee
      69 cutlass - 5.3l L33, Jakes stage 3 4L80e, 275/40/17 proxes tq

comparison 2 inch drop and stock..i am going with stock to allow the use of Howe Bump steer kit.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Call Marcus at SC&C discuss your goals for the car. He will point you in the right direction whether it is his stuff or somebody else.
      Brad Shepard
      69 Malibu
      Marshall, MO

Quote Originally Posted by bootlegr View Post
      comparison 2 inch drop and stock..i am going with stock to allow the use of Howe Bump steer kit.
      don't use a bump steer kit on your Chevelle it moves the tie rod in the wrong direction....leave it stock you can improve the bump steer and camber curve with a tall lower ball joints it also helps a few other things

yep, you can use it just with no spacers and crank up the caster.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

OR use the AFX spindle and steering arm.
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Call Global West Suspension. They have been doing this a very long time and have complete kits or individual suspension components that also work with B-body spindles.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Who makes a good A-Body spindle?

How about cpp??? They have good quality stuff and it won't cost u a arm and a leg , good luck

how come everyone was quiet about L & H Kustoms closing doors?
      they had a nice alternate to the ATS AFX spindle

pretty sure cpp is chinese..may as well rock stock spindles at that point and do tall BJs

only 2 aftermarket spindles worth swapping to over stock is ridetech and Speedtechs ATS AFX spindles
      72 buick skylark

Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface5384 View Post
      how come everyone was quiet about L & H Kustoms closing doors?
      they had a nice alternate to the ATS AFX spindle

pretty sure cpp is chinese..may as well rock stock spindles at that point and do tall BJs

only 2 aftermarket spindles worth swapping to over stock is ridetech and Speedtechs ATS AFX spindles
      I never cared for the L&H spindle.

The CPP spindle is a cast iron ripoff of the Speedtech ATS AFX spindle. I would never use it.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I never cared for the L&H spindle.

The CPP spindle is a cast iron ripoff of the Speedtech ATS AFX spindle. I would never use it.

Andrew
      I liked it for the fact that it gave you an option to retain 14/15in wheels , for people who wanted a stealthjy pro-tour setup

Hellwigs upcomming FSB will make chooseing the AFX spindle even more easier..hoping it'll let us run a 295 on a 10in wide rim, thatd be the tits there
      72 buick skylark

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com