Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 383 or lsx

383 or lsx

Okay so I had my 350 rebuilt block ended up being cracked returned it now I have 2 grand to start this new engine build here are my two option
      383 stroker sbc built at least to 450 hp
      ls series motor (not vortec) same power goals
      If I was to to with the 383 it would be mated to a 700r4 and it would be a lot easier to do as its just a drop in and perhaps I want to add holleys fuel injection system on to it I love the way it looks like the ls seems like a ton of work I know entry level ls1 I'm looking at at least 2 thousand just for the motor used pretty high mileage plus another grand in making it sit on the frame then having to up the tranny as well as where the 383 I can get a new 383 with 0 miles the block and crank just add heads etc for around a grand so which one is the best bang for the buck 383 aluminum heads fuel injected estimated price 5 grand or a lsx swap estimated swap 9 grand all together?

Country Flag: United States
      Personally I'd go with the 383. Cheap and easy.

383 is the way to go if budget and ease of just dropping it in. If you want fuel injection the factory LS engine will be considerably cheaper. Aftermarket fi kits are $$$$
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I had to make the same choice, and went with a 6.0l LQ9. But no way you're going to drop it in and be up and running for anywhere near the cost of the 383.

Build the 383 and drop it in.

Yea that's what I thought I'll do a 383 run it with a manifold and carb till I can afford the efi for it I know holley has a kit that comes with a program able computer so that will be easy do you guys recommended and certain type of automatic overdrive tranny? Or will the 700r4 do all right

Country Flag: Cambodia
      Do a nice 383 and do a FAST 2.0 later. The 2.0 is getting good reviews and is an easier installation.

Quote Originally Posted by 67rally View Post
      I had to make the same choice, and went with a 6.0l LQ9. But no way you're going to drop it in and be up and running for anywhere near the cost of the 383.

Build the 383 and drop it in.
      What? This statement coming from you Brent! Say it isn't so.
      Robert
      My sloooow build thread...https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...hlight=Orngasm

"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."

If I can only convince myself of this!

Quote Originally Posted by ROBS6T8 View Post
      What? This statement coming from you Brent! Say it isn't so.
      I know, that's what a few beers will do! I like spending your money Rob, I just feel guilty spending someone's I don't even know.

I have a friend that's considering an LS swap, so I just put together a basic list for him the other day. Obviously these are ballpark figures and you can spend more or less, but the cost of the engine, or even engine/trans combo is just the beginning:

Oil pan - $400-600
      Trans X-member - $300
      Engine mounts - $100
      Fuel Tank/Sender/Pump/Regulator - $500-600
      Fuel fittings/Hoses - $100
      Hydraulic clutch conversion - $300
      Headers - $600-1000
      Wiring harness - $ 300-500
      CPU Re-Program - $250
      Dyno tune - $500
      Driveshaft (shorten or new) - $100-400

And then if you do something silly like me and swap out the heads, intake, cam, timing chain, water pump, accessories...add in all the gaskets, fasteners...

Now, with that said...475rwhp, no leaks, 6 speeds, and no carbs to fiddle with...Priceless.

I threw together a S-10 with a 383, one of my biggest regrets on that build is not putting a LS motor in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Rod Technologies View Post
      I threw together a S-10 with a 383, one of my biggest regrets on that build is not putting a LS motor in it.

Depends on what youre after and the big thing...Budget. I see too often people compare LS engine with a SBC build, but always seem to compare used LS engines vs Brand New/Rebuilt SBCs (Apples and Oranges comparison).

A new LS engine that produces the power of a 383 is not even in the same ball park in terms of cost. Using new parts, an LS1 engine is going to cost upwards of $7K and more if you want an LS2/3/7. Now again...I agree if you search the junkyards, you can easily come across a smoking deal on an iron 6.0. Put the savings into heads/cam and you will have a fuel injected beast that will smoke even the top 383 builds. Again it comes down to preference. I wouldn't use a junk yard pulled LQ engine. If you got the cash, I would invest in a new LS3. Once you get the FI for the SBC, you will be in the ball park of the LS.

On the flip side, if you want something that will drop right in and go, the 383 is the ticket. Keep in mind It will cost you more $$ tho if you want fuel injection....and you will probably wish you should have just gone LS.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Thank you all for your input I think I'll just build a 400 hp/torque 350 and mate it to my 700r4 and once I'm done with school and have a actual career I'll attempt the ls swap it just looks like a lot of hidden fees with the ls swap you know I know people get 5.3s for dirt cheap but changing the intake and accessories to clear plus headers that clear and motor mounts it adds up .

A new Gm crate truck 5.3 replacement is around $3300. 332 HP,352Ft lbs. No intake no accessories,iron block.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

I'm in the same boat. Just seems like much more involved and then working out all the bugs. For me its more the hassle of getting everythng for the LS than the money part. If there was a 'one shop" type of place that you could go to to get everything you need to do the swap to the LS then i would be much better.

Vince

Country Flag: Afghanistan
      I'm all about the 383 for the budget. Lots of hidden costs with the LS route.

Quote Originally Posted by vdaviemusclecars View Post
      I'm in the same boat. Just seems like much more involved and then working out all the bugs. For me its more the hassle of getting everythng for the LS than the money part. If there was a 'one shop" type of place that you could go to to get everything you need to do the swap to the LS then i would be much better.

Vince
      to buy and install yourself or have installed?
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

I had one installed in my 65 chevelle..it was a brand new in crate Z06 motor a few years back. If i was to do it again i would do it myself. I have a 78 Z28 i'm looking to put a motor in now.

Vince

383 or lsx

Yep it's high it's going to cost me 17 grand for a ls conversion in my 1972 cutlass that's out the door motor, fuel tank, tranny etc it's a lot but I want gas milage and be able to drive the power tour next year with no problem!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com