Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

timing issues sbc

Hey guys. Having a bit of a problem with my timing. Short story on the engine. 99 lower end. (block crank Rods pistons) all stock specs. I had purchased a cam for the engine that was going to go in the car that was a 85. Also installed a double roller timing chain. And put in the matching older style distributor.

Had troubles trying to get the engine to fire. Finally running after finding what I thought was the correct tooth placement. I can adjust the timing but it Seems like no matter which way I go it either falls flat on it's face or runs great but hard to start once you shut it off and diesels as well...fires a couple turns after the ignition shuts off.

Anyone have any ideas...?

Are you certian the cam timing is correct?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Almost positive I had aligned the two dots up at 6 and 12 but now I'm reading to line them up at 12 and 12 spin the crack one full revolution then drop in the dizzy

Assuming the cam timing is correct, the procedure I use to time the distributor is to first pull the #1 spark plug. Then have a friend cover the plug hole with their finger or purchase a whistler and screw it into the plug hole. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise with a ratchet until air pressure pushes the finger off the hole and continue turning the crank to line up the timing marks at ZERO. You now have the engine positioned with the #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke. Looking at the distributor cap, locate #1 plug wire and using a marker mark where that location is on the distributor base. With the crank at ZERO install the distrubutor with the rotor lined up with the mark on the housing when the distbutor is down. The distrubutor may not drop completely down due to the oil pump drive shaft not lining up so you may need to continue rotating the crank until it drops. Rotate the crank two rotations clockwise back to ZERO and the rotor should line up with the mark on the housing. To put in a little advance timing prior to starting the engine rotate the distributor housing counter clockwise about 1/2" then install the hold down clamp. If you did everything accurately the engine should start and you can time it properly.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Ok.I've got the motor torn back down.on the crank gear there's a circle a triangle and a square....what shape do I line the cam dot up with?

The circle will be the one you want to use.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Assuming the crank gear has multiple keyways, it will depend on which way the crank gear is installed. Can you post a clear picture?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Assuming the cam timing is correct, the procedure I use to time the distributor is to first pull the #1 spark plug. Then have a friend cover the plug hole with their finger or purchase a whistler and screw it into the plug hole. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise with a ratchet until air pressure pushes the finger off the hole and continue turning the crank to line up the timing marks at ZERO. You now have the engine positioned with the #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke. Looking at the distributor cap, locate #1 plug wire and using a marker mark where that location is on the distributor base. With the crank at ZERO install the distrubutor with the rotor lined up with the mark on the housing when the distbutor is down. The distrubutor may not drop completely down due to the oil pump drive shaft not lining up so you may need to continue rotating the crank until it drops. Rotate the crank two rotations clockwise back to ZERO and the rotor should line up with the mark on the housing. To put in a little advance timing prior to starting the engine rotate the distributor housing counter clockwise about 1/2" then install the hold down clamp. If you did everything accurately the engine should start and you can time it properly.
      Agreed.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com