Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Ultimate Street Car Association

A new racing series was announced today at SEMA. Seems pretty cool...but I just can't help the fact that it just seems like the lil guys are being left behind in the dust here.

Maybe I'm just crazy but I was counting every penny I had this year just to attend 3 ASCS events as a spectator/helper. In 2012 I raced at a lot of events and it pretty much made me broke between gas for the truck pulling the trailer, hotels, registration, and constantly fixing the car! Now I really feel like I am missing out! lol

What do you all think?

http://ultimatestreetcarassociation.com/
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

I think I need to see more details before making any decisions. The vagueness of the points system as announced today would lead me to believe the series will favor people with the time, money, and/or sponsors to make the majority of the events so shop mules would appear to be favored here. But the overall rules are pretty vague at this point. There are some very interesting tracks listed though.

The real worry I have is what does adding more events to the calendar do to attendance at each of the events. Like you stated, Doug, there is only so much time and money to be spent on events for the majority of participants. Most of us can't afford to make it to more than a couple of events in a year and when you add in more events there is a chance the events won't fill when we have to choose which ones we take time off work for.

If your the lil guy left in the dust then I must be the peon being swept up in the dust pan. I drive to every SCCA event I can afford to make it to and would love to be able to attend a USCA event. That is wishful thinking.
      What is this "truck and trailer" you speak of?........LOL

This is an alternative to the ASS not in addition too. The ASS is exclusionary to a big segment of the automotive aftermarket that isn't pro-touring. This will be inclusive and professional at real big name tracks not parking lots. A consistent and planned event format will take a lot of confusion out of the events. This also provides a more logical progression to the end of year optima Challenge. I'm game for Laguna Seca and AAA for sure, and possibly in for Portland as well. Looking forward to 2014 season!
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

This should be cool, if they can come up with a

Quote Originally Posted by SLO_Z28 View Post
      A consistent and planned event format
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

If run as passed optima Qualifer/Faceoff events I have attended, each event will be very organized. Points will be for a selected few who have the time and $$$. I don't have the time or $$$ but do have an addiction for speed and this will help me get that high. I don't plan to win or place in the top 20, but that's not why I spend my money to participate. Friends, old and new, and the venue to run my Monte as it was built to is why I do it. Anything beyond that is just gravey.

True story Dan and I agree with you 100%. I will never win an event and I do it for the friendships and the fun.

I do have one thought though...with this new series, Goodguys and the ASCS the calendar just got real tight. Do you think attendance at the events will be affected due to the large number if events now?

And what about the sponsors? They have to pick now...
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

Donny

The USCA events are televised, I know where the sponsors are going to go. I don't think this new venue is going to hurt old ones as its going to attract a whole new level of cars and participants.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

Donny

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      If what is shown in the first post of this link is correct about full cages and 5 pt harnesses, then I don't know if we'll show up to any of these. Those rules could result in a lot of cars not being eligible. That rule definitely excludes the car we run at ASCS and SCCA events as it only has a harness bar and 4 pt harnesses which is a combination that still allows us to use it as a daily driver.

Full roll cages and harnesses will be encouraged, but will not be required to attend and have fun in these events. Safety is our primary concern, but we also understand this is a street car series and cages and harnesses are not always practical. As well, the series is for all makes, models and years of real street cars. Participants are not required to participate in the points series and there will be more than one way to earn a spot in the optima Ultimate Street Car invitational.

We are still ironing out the rules and points systems, but rest assured that each event will be safe, organized and fun and will offer a bucket-list experience for street car owners of all skill levels at a competitive price.

We have 10 USCA events, ASCS will have at least five events and GoodGuys will have almost 20 Autocross events across the country. There will be something for everyone. The street car perfromance marketplace is a viable and robust market, and all of these series and events will serve to bring more attention to our hobby. The combination of all these events provides an experience for every year make and model of street car and we support them all.
      Jimi Day
      FM3 Performance Marketing, Inc.
      http://www.fm3marketing.com

"The timid hang back. But those with courage will march on." - Walter P. Chrysler

I'd go to as many as possible. I have been to half a dozen ASCS events / goodguys events this year, and none of them did I have a vehicle to race with. I think I had a more fun time just spectating, hanging out with friends, and watching cars, without having to worry about my car / gear / breakage. Next year, when my car is done, I'll attend as many as my wallet will allow.

Well looks like it does favor the people with the $$$$$$. But if I can attend an event. I will try. Maybe they will have an event at Miller motorsports park or Kerney.

Tim
      1971 Buick Sportwagon pro-touring project.
      1985 Ford Crown Victoria 2 door
      2000 Ford Crown Victoria

The big draw that the USCA has for me right now are some of the big name tracks, Laguna Seca in particular. Just how much track time can entrants expect to get on track? I've never gotten more than 30-35 minutes of road course time at RTTC. I'd want far more than that to make a drive to any distant big name track. Sharing events with Chumpcar seems like it will really limit track availability.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

I see lots of cool stuff, how much??

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      I see lots of cool stuff, how much??
      Depends on the track most likely. Lots of information forthcoming around January 1st. Each track will probably have Supplemental Rules and Requirements as well.

Mary Pozzi
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

This is going to be interesting, can't wait to see the rules package I know cars running 160+ at some of these tracks I personally like roll cages at that speed but that sure doesn't make it a true street car though or does it because my question is what is true street car? A radio ? Air conditioning or cup holders? Outside looking in this is going to be a tv motivated series which I'm good with, the sport can always use the exposure . With the tracks being all over the country it will be financially challenging without your rich uncle to run the series but hitting one or two might be fun I can't wait to see what it cost to race at Daytona you don't rent that place for $2500.00 bucks for the weekend!

I am really looking forward to this, I was fortunate enough to win a free entry to the first race of the year at the PT Dinner... kinda sucks my Chevelle is nowhere near done, but I do have something I can bring to the track my friends 2004 WRX STI ASP (A Street prepared) SCCA race car.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by ohsolow View Post
      This is going to be interesting, can't wait to see the rules package I know cars running 160+ at some of these tracks I personally like roll cages at that speed but that sure doesn't make it a true street car though or does it because my question is what is true street car? A radio ? Air conditioning or cup holders? Outside looking in this is going to be a tv motivated series which I'm good with, the sport can always use the exposure . With the tracks being all over the country it will be financially challenging without your rich uncle to run the series but hitting one or two might be fun I can't wait to see what it cost to race at Daytona you don't rent that place for $2500.00 bucks for the weekend!
      One of the ways that the USCA is working to keep track rental costs down is by working in conjunction with the ChumpCar Series and sharing track time. You're absolutely correct facilities like Laguna, Fontana, and Daytona are very expensive to rent (we looked at Fontana for an event last year and were shocked at the daily rental cost) - even with 100 cars the daily rentals alone (net of insurance, fire, medical, etc.) would be tough to pass along to competitors. By working with another series and sharing some of the costs associated with track costs it helps to keep our costs down.

This should be a really fun series and although I doubt I'll be able to run more than a few of the events it's a great time for our hobby with lots of choices, opportunities, and friends.
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1
      1989 Camaro 1LE - The BOC

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com